How many factory seconds in your collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cosmo7809

How many factory seconds in your collection?

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hey guys, I was just wondering how much factory seconds you have in your collection... I have two, and if I(or another knife nut) was to pick them up without knowing you would have never known.

Sometimes I look at my SS Police and say "Why the heck is this a second?"

**Shrugs**
Come Join Us Click Here
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two, same as you. Did have three but sold the one, an unlined G-10 Police. Person who purchased it wanted a user. He was aware it was a second, tired hunting for a pristine one, and happy to get it.

EDITED TO ADD: Doug's post jogged my memory. Made me realize I forgot two - a Purpleheart Kopa I bought from Tony, and a Mule. :o So four right now for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Many, probably 18-24 between Mules, Bushcraft, and regular goodies (Enduras Delicas, Assists, Salts, Police, etc).
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Only one, a Bushcraft UK.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be nice if there was some kind of documentation stating why they were each made a second..but i guess that's a lot to ask. If the typical knife guy can't figure out why, then the standards at Golden must be pretty dang high.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I used to have one. Except notch and absence of box I didn't see anything wrong.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

1 for me and its the knife that lead me to this site, i picked up an R i noticed it had a notch which screams 2nd all over it. i paid a pretty penny for it too
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

2 for me but that number will jump considerably when i make the road trip this year to Golden for the 2nd sale.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

None, haven't had the chance to go to the factory second outlet.

Post by 224477 »

None too. But reading the posts about what people got from the 2nds sale at SFO, sometimes I do not really understand the 2nds thing. I have seen spyderco`s, a couple of only, which should be and were not 2nds. They had some quality issues for sure. But I guess the QC can check each single knife, and picks only some to check, so by that process some of the 'eggs' manage to leave the house, or is that assumption not correct?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've never been to Colorado. Three of mine came from eBay, none of the sellers mentioned they were seconds. Both unlined G-10 ones (Navigator and Police) had the clip issues typical of unlined G-10. Kiwi is visually perfect, but the action is somewhat rough. Mule was purchased online by SFO, has some odd discolored spots, but otherwise looks fine to me. Kopa was rescaled by Tony, so perhaps the issue was with the original scales.

Jano, I'd imagine some 2nds are caught by QC, some are knives returned by customers due to cosmetic or minor mechanical flaws - too good to toss - not worth the shop time to repair.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Never seen a factory second over here ... I'm guessing most are sold in the US and eBay has blocked all knife sales in the UK so it makes them even rarer :(
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Just one, the Bushcraft. Bought it as a user.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Evil D wrote:It would be nice if there was some kind of documentation stating why they were each made a second..but i guess that's a lot to ask. If the typical knife guy can't figure out why, then the standards at Golden must be pretty dang high.
I too wish there was a way to tell why it is a second.
Come Join Us Click Here
RamDreamer

Post by RamDreamer »

A gallon size zip-lock bag full of :spyder: ... :D

Went a little (okay, more than a little) crazy at the seconds sale last year. Wanted them to be able to carry while not afraid to beat them up, and try various models otherwise way more expensive than I'd want to pay to "try" one out for, and finally to give away. :)

Many I simply cannot figure out what the flaw is. Some are just a smudge here or a scratch there, and of course, no boxes.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Three. Two I knew about when I bought them (Black bladed Native and Tenacious). One (PE Merlin) the seller never mentioned anything about it.

Problem is, I have yet to find anything that would make them "seconds".
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
ace

Post by ace »

I bought a Chicago second off of ebay about 10 months ago and sold it a couple months later. The fit and finish and CF handle were very poor. I then did a little research and found that the Chicago seconds were pretty much all like this. I think that is an example of a second that you can really tell was a second.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Just the one here, a trusty D2 Para which rarely lets anything else near my pockets... I felt guilty getting such good performance out of a second that I eventually had to get a factory NIB "backup", I'm now rotate them both for edc.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Don't have any.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I have three. A MT01, a chicago that I love, and bushcraft that is amazing.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//