How to cean knife for food

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

How to cean knife for food

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

I read of so many using their knives for cutting meat, slicing onions, whatever in contact with food and wonder how to clean mine to do that.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I just make sure that I clean my knife by hand with regular liquid dish soap and a sponge before and after using it, making sure to dry it afterward. I don't use anything to oil my pivots (never had to), so I don't have to worry about contaminating my food. If you do oil the blade or pivot, use mineral oil. Since I use mostly VG-10, S30V, and CTS-XHP, staining and rust have never been issues, especially since I clean and dry immediately after use.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Thank you. That is the way I would have thought but have to be sure. If I buy a ZDP blade I will have to use my Delica for food I guess or use mineral oil after drying thoroughly on ZDP.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Thanks a million. I bookmarked that site but the cleaning and oiling will be easy to remember. Simple enough.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

No need to be fussy really unless you just used it to cut open bag of manure, just wipe it with your shirt before use, your immune system even need a jolt once in a while to stay in shape.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Geez yeah.

I just rinse with hot water, and wipe her down.

Eating a little residue from raw meat won't kill you, unless the meat has been out for hours and enough bacteria has accumulated that you get botulism....thats not cool.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

build up that immune system. people are way to clean now a days.
Don't forget your purell with your EDC kit
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ever hear of Kitchen Knives...used for that purpose..I don't eat with my EDC....That is why it is called Every Day Carry...not EDD..Every Day Dining....If you must use a knife for eating..make it a fixed blade...easier to clean....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:If you must use a knife for eating..make it a fixed blade...easier to clean....Doc :D
Or a Salt! My Salts are the only folders I use for food. Afterwards (and before), I just wash them with soap and water the same as I would a kitchen knife. Easy cleanability is the main reason I have them.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

ForealBoreal wrote:build up that immune system. people are way to clean now a days.
Don't forget your purell with your EDC kit
One concern can be non-biological worries. I work in a chemistry lab where we're constantly synthesizing really toxic nanoparticles made from heavy metals: cadmium selenide, mercury telluride, elemental lead, etc. And of course my EDC comes out for all of the stuff that happens in a lab that begs for a knife. Cleaning can become an issue for that reason too.
Raman
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Thanks to all. My wife asked why I would use my knife for our food and I told her it was some of you guys saying I was a wimp if I didn't.:-))
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

SaturnNyne wrote:Or a Salt! My Salts are the only folders I use for food. Afterwards (and before), I just wash them with soap and water the same as I would a kitchen knife. Easy cleanability is the main reason I have them.
I am also looking at Salt line for this exact reason :)
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A lot of people make this into a huge issue...but honestly your hands see more germs than your knife will even if you DO cut open bags of manure all day. Just wash the blade of your knife the same way you wash your hands before you eat and you'll be fine. I've switched to using food grade mineral oil (you can find in the pharmacy section...it's used as a laxative) and i've found that it doesn't quite lubricate as well as some of the oils i've used but it's sufficient and i don't feel at risk eating off my knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

I rarely use my folders for food prep duties at home not because I am concerned about food safety, but because my kitchen knives designed for this task are are more efficient at it. I use my folders for food prep when at work, traveling and hiking/camping. The food safety issue is easily addressed by proper cleaning, and when when cutting raw meat, sanitizing.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on the food. Non-oily fruit, which would be #1 on my list of "foods cut with a folder", only requires a rinse. Raw veggies, which would be #2 on my list of "foods cut with a folder", generally only requires a wipe. Sandwiches call for washing as would cutting raw meat, if I ever used a folder for that.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ever hear of Kitchen Knives...used for that purpose..I don't eat with my EDC....That is why it is called Every Day Carry...not EDD..Every Day Dining....If you must use a knife for eating..make it a fixed blade...easier to clean....Doc :D
Man brags about carrying a dozen knives, but would tear a hero apart with his bare hands if he wanted to share it with someone. :p

Not sure how well a sheath knife would have gone over where I worked, have an aversion to any cord/chain around my neck, and I'd rather not look like an idiot walking around town with one on my hip. Plenty of farm stands and farmers markets around here, and not everything makes it back to the apartment. :o I like to eat my apples, peaches, and tomatoes in a civilized manner, and even a strawberry sometimes needs hulling, so yes - my folder does get used to cut food. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hey Paul, have you seen The Art Of Manliness's "Why A Man Should Carry A Pocket Knife"?

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/04/01/ev ... ket-knife/
Reason #3. Cutting an apple. I love eating an apple that I’ve cut with my pocket knife, slice by slice. You feel like a bad *** doing it. You hold the apple in your non-dominant hand and then make a slice with the knife using your dominant hand. After you make the slice, pinch it between your thumb and knife blade. Bring the blade to your mouth and deposit the apple slice.
:D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I usually just wipe it off on a towel or my jeans, but if I know that my knife cut something I don't want to be eating I clean it with some soap first. I never really worried about oil but I tend to not use very much oil.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I wipe the blade with a napkin.I do tend to use my serrated Endura at work to cut the huge slices of pizza from the people we order from.Germs are good to help your immune system stay strong(exercising your immune system). Kids with pets have stronger immune systems than those who don't have pets.IF working around hazardous materials I would'nt use it unless I washed it real real good.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Man brags about carrying a dozen knives, but would tear a hero apart with his bare hands if he wanted to share it with someone. quote from the Deacon

Sad but True Paul...not really I do carry with me for an emergency hero sharing cutter, a small fixed blade dedicated to those type cutting chores...It's a Lightfoot Design by Timberline called the Mini-Pit Bull. Though you will probably never see me dashboard dinning, or eating out of bags from my trunk, I do prefer to eat at home or at least wait till I get there to snack on fruits from the local fruit stand :p ..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*