Military as SD/MBC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FIMS

Military as SD/MBC

Post by FIMS »

Ive done a search extensively but my Search-Fu has failed me.

I know there was a discussion on the Military for SD-MBC purposes and there is an all-black model coming to me in the very near future.

I just watched Deadliest Warrior where a K-Bar and Cold Steel Recon Tanto was used and want to know if there are any clips or vidoes of the Military being used in this way.

Is their anything Michael Janich or other knife craft professionals have had to say about the Military in this respect?

Im looking for input on thrusting and varying strikes and how the lock up performs.

Also, I was refered to an internet site that does a lot of knife tests with clips and write ups that are in depth, but for the life of me I can't recall it's name.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Ah found the site, by Cliff Stamp.

But I think there is another one that has in depth info also on the Endura.

markg

Post by markg »

The only issue you will have with the Military for said purposes is the cut out in the handle that exposes the lock bar when gripped.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yes, the cutout will make an inadvertent release more likely when when your knife is twisted towards the right(for right handers with a right handed millie). That leads me to thinking(me thinking?) that a left hand millie might be less prone to inadvertent release by right handers. Any thoughts?
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Just do not use a mili for self-defense - as said above, liner lock/large cutout in handle makes it unsuitable for that purpose.

Edit: I take that back :o The Ti Millie has a frame lock and does not have the potential issue with the liner lock. See my later post #11.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Don't use the mili for SD? I think we are underestimating what a 4" locked blade does against another person (regardless of lock design). It's a big step forward from your fists.

Pro: large g10 handle for white knucke grips, long thick (4mm) ffg blade, very acute tip for HIGH penetration

Con: tip down (for some), 4" blade isn't legal for as many counties, a hollow-ground would prob slash better, the liner lock isn't as perfect as a comp, axis, lockback, cbbl, IMHO.

After all, it is called the "Military".
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I agree not use a military for self defense? Look at the name and think about what Sal designed it for. A soldier to use as a last ditch weapon in hand to hand combat. Anyone that thinks the military isn't one of the best sd blades in the spyderco line doesn't know how to properly defend themselves
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Nothing wrong with using a Military for SD.. It should perform well...IMHO there are better knives for SD in the Spyderco line-up, that being said if all I had was a Military I would not feel underarmed....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Nothing wrong with using a Military for SD.. It should perform well...IMHO there are better knives for SD in the Spyderco line-up, that being said if all I had was a Military I would not feel underarmed....Doc :D
If all you had was a plastic table knife, you wouldn't be underarmed, Doc. :p
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

During a self-defense situation, I just don't trust that my own hands would not happen to hold the knife in a way to unlock the liner lock :rolleyes: Other people may retain more fine motor control and thus be able to control their knife better. If that's you then great - mili is a great SD for you. For me, I will take my Manix 2 instead - there is no way I can unlock that CBBL in a hurry :p

Yes, 4" = awesome reach. That's why I keep dreaming one day Sal would release a larger Manix 2 :D
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Here is what Michael Janich said about using knives with liner lock with large cutout for SD:
http://www.spydercoinc.org/forums/showp ... stcount=20

Quote:
From a self-defense perspective, the potential disadvantage of the relief cut is that, if the knife twists in the hand during a violent maneuver, the index finger could contact the lock release and allow the blade to close. This is not a lock failure; it is an unintentional lock release during the dynamics of a critical incident.

He went on and said that framelock should not have this potential issue. So, get the Ti mili for SD :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

With the caveat that any knife or indeed any object can be used for self defense, one data point on this is that the designer of the Military :D has said that it wasn't designed as a "combat" knife but more or less as a utility knife.

FIMS wrote:Ive done a search extensively but my Search-Fu has failed me.

I know there was a discussion on the Military for SD-MBC purposes and there is an all-black model coming to me in the very near future.

I just watched Deadliest Warrior where a K-Bar and Cold Steel Recon Tanto was used and want to know if there are any clips or vidoes of the Military being used in this way.

Is their anything Michael Janich or other knife craft professionals have had to say about the Military in this respect?

Im looking for input on thrusting and varying strikes and how the lock up performs.

Also, I was refered to an internet site that does a lot of knife tests with clips and write ups that are in depth, but for the life of me I can't recall it's name.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

If you need a knife for SD, get a fixed blade or balisong. I'm willing to bet you could conceal a boot knife easier than a Millie.

I feel that everyone's complaints about the liner lock are unfounded. I trust the Millie's liner lock over any back/mid lock I've encountered. Food for thought: Emerson and Zero Tolerance use liner locks with Emerson having a good sized cutout.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Hard to deny the effectiveness of a 4 inch blade.I'm not very knowledgeable about MBC, but I think a Millie might do fine if stuck in the right places and given a little twist.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Saying a lock is more likely to fail isn't the same as saying it is likely to fail. The Millie's a fine knife with a stout lock. The stress related adreneline dump of a edged weapon combatave scenario would more often lead to a death grip rather than the loose grip needed to produce the contrived hand rolling motion to accidentaly! unlock a millie during the what? 3-10 seconds of mahem? Millie's not my first choice of a folder but I'd not fret over the lock when I could be fretting over my skills, or my guitar ;) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

So looking at the Para-2, it's ergos and the lock, looks like a more apt design for such a purpose.

And with the Emersons, they are all, except for the HD models, liner locks.

My tatses and ideologies for cutlery ever change and so do my buying habits. I look at a knife moree closely based on purpose and use, rather than just buying on spur of the moment and I not look at it again. Granted those purchases will always exist.

I love the Emerson CQC 7, either spear point or tanto, as well as the Al Mar SERE 2000.

I see a knife as a tool but not just for cutting or slicing, ut also for thrusting and penetration because of what knife I carry at work, to court, whatever.

Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

As bad as the story makes responsible knife users look, the Military has been used successfully against another human being several years ago in Boston.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Pete1977 wrote:As bad as the story makes responsible knife users look, the Military has been used successfully against another human being several years ago in Boston.
On a homicide course I was on, a Delica was used to pierce the skull of a victim and did a lot of damage.

Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

my Ti Millie cut the **** out of my thumb
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
kawr

Post by kawr »

Murdering somone with a knife and actually engaging in combat with a knife are two completely differant things imo :p . Most knife related murders are with random items you can find lying around the house like screw drivers...

I'm not sure if it was Mr. Janich or some other knife combat expert but they said pretty much any knife with good grip, solid lock, practical blade shape will make a good SD blade. Pretty much depends on the person holding the knife and not the actual knife. So go take SD classes instead of worrying about which knife is best for SD :D