Question concerning the Matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bohica1998

Question concerning the Matriarch

Post by bohica1998 »

According to the Spydiewiki page, there are three variations of the Matriarch.

C12SBK Black FRN SE ATS-55 no Boye dent.

C12SGY Grey FRN SE ATS-55

C12SBK Black FRN SE VG-10

However, the one I recently acquired is Black FRN SE ATS-55 WITH the Boye dent. Just wondering if I have an unlisted variation or if there was a mistake made in the Spydiewiki, or...? :confused:

Sales pics

A closer view of the steel marking and the Boye dent
14 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14PBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Well it is a pinned construction so a blade swap isn't a possibility.
The info is probably just wrong, it is a Wiki afterall.
It might be from the time they just switched to using the Boye dent but didn't upgrade the steel yet.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have the exact same knife...must be a mistake on Wikiped...or we both have variations worth a small fortune ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Nice find!

As the author of the Spydiewiki.com article on the C12 Civilians and Matriarchs I can only say it's one i have never seen before. It's a generation and half as i like to call them, models with a modification halfway between minor and major!
You actually have a version which i don't of the C12. Not many has :D ;)
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Oh, and Spydiewiki article will of course be updated accordingly :)
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Interesting!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Fairlane wrote:Nice find!

As the author of the Spydiewiki.com article on the C12 Civilians and Matriarchs I can only say it's one i have never seen before. It's a generation and half as i like to call them, models with a modification halfway between minor and major!
You actually have a version which i don't of the C12. Not many has :D ;)
:D It's funny, cause I went to that page knowing there were three versions listed there (Been there several times getting info on my PE Tuffram Civilian).

I started comparing it to see which version I had. I wasn't quite sure what to think when it didn't match ANY of them! :eek:

At first I thought it was the first one, but... it clearly states "no Boye dent." Ok, I know it isn't the grey one, so it had to be the last. Then I checked the steel. That's when I got confused! :D

It's cool finding a new variation! I've managed to do this once before (find a variation) with the 2003 finger groove Rescues.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39377
Fairlane wrote:Oh, and Spydiewiki article will of course be updated accordingly :)
I have to kind of wonder where it fits, chronologically speaking. Between the first and the grey, or between the grey and the VG-10?
Current Inventory: C14PBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

And now, I have both the SE & PE versions of the brown variant on the way. That means 6(?) variations total, right?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

bohica1998 wrote:And now, I have both the SE & PE versions of the brown variant on the way. That means 6(?) variations total, right?
Well bohica...if you have the one with the compresion lock...we are both in trouble...:eek :D oc :D

bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I can't keep all the lock types straight. Which is the compression lock? But no, I don't think I have that one.

I only have this one and the two incoming brown ones. That means I still need to find all three of the ones listed in the Spydiewiki yet.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

bohica1998 wrote:I can't keep all the lock types straight. Which is the compression lock? But no, I don't think I have that one.

I only have this one and the two incoming brown ones. That means I still need to find all three of the ones listed in the Spydiewiki yet.
LOL ....Just teasing...they don't come with a compression lock...not yet :D Doc :D

RIOT

Post by RIOT »

if these are anything like the Delicas, the ATS-55 came with and without boye dents, probably during the transition of changing the blade steel to VG-10 then when the VG-10 came around and they all had boye dents.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have to keep in mind that the Wiki is, and always will be, a work in progress. Unlike many older European companies that keep detailed records for centuries, Spyderco has been making minor improvements "on the fly" almost as long as they've been in business. Not to mention that, for some models, there are "Japanese market" and even semi custom versions of which Spyderco may have no specific knowledge.

Any Spydiewiki list has to be looked at as a list of known variants, but not as absolutely all inclusive. Everything listed there should exist, but not being listed there does not automatically mean a "transitional", or as Henning called it "generation and a half" version produced in very low quantities does not exist. When a new one is discovered and its existence verified, as with the Matriarch responsible for this thread, the knowledge base expands.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I have the exact same knife...must be a mistake on Wikiped...or we both have variations worth a small fortune ;) Doc :D
Nah Chuck Norris just tried to close it and accidentally put a dent in the lock bar. :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

So, if I have things figured correctly, there are six "known" variations of the Matriarch? I think they go as follows:

C12SBK Black FRN SE ATS-55 - no Boye dent.

C12SGY Grey FRN SE ATS-55

C12SBK Black FRN SE ATS-55 - WITH Boye dent

C12SBK Black FRN SE VG-10

C12SBN Brown FRN SE VG-10

C12PBN Brown FRN PE VG-10
(The ONLY PE Matriarch)

Is this correct?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, it's correct. Now that the existence of a "dented" ATS-55 SE version has been confirmed and documented, the six versions you list represent all the variants of the Matriarch currently known to exist "in the wild".

I doubt any more will turn up, but of course that's been said before about other models and proved wrong. The only "wild cards" I can think of would be a Japanese market semi-custom, like the PE/G-10 Civilian, or an "accidental" variant, like the "Endurahawk" Spyderhawks.
Paul
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I have the exact same knife...
Well, besides the two pf us, here's another forum member who seems to have this one! At least, it looks like this one from the pics in the post.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=26
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It makes sense that, if there was one, there was at least a batch, if not a full run. Question becomes, how big is an average batch on something like the Matriarch. My guess would be around 300, but that's just a guess.
Paul