Manix 2 lock fails hard-use test [VID] -- thoughts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HotSoup

Manix 2 lock fails hard-use test [VID] -- thoughts?

Post by HotSoup »

A buddy of mine over at the CS forum does some good testing on his knives and just posted some videos doing hard-use test on a CS American Lawman, BM Grip, and a Spyderco Manix 2. The latter was the only one to have a lock fail on a spine-whack test just after cutting through some wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdJUhgwrWQ

Now, I did not expect the CS Tri-Ad locks to fail in the first place, but I find it odd that the Manix would fail after this. I never handled or owned one, but aren't they supposed to hard-use knives?

I am not ruling out the possibility that he had a lemon though, but definitely disheartening to watch, nonetheless...
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

HotSoup wrote:A buddy of mine over at the CS forum does some good testing on his knives and just posted some videos doing hard-use test on a CS American Lawman, BM Grip, and a Spyderco Manix 2. The latter was the only one to have a lock fail on a spine-whack test just after cutting through some wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdJUhgwrWQ

Now, I did not expect the CS Tri-Ad locks to fail in the first place, but I find it odd that the Manix would fail after this. I never handled or owned one, but aren't they supposed to hard-use knives?

I am not ruling out the possibility that he had a lemon though, but definitely disheartening to watch, nonetheless...
Yes, in deed right from here - http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418

"...A recipe for folding knife success: Start with hard-use rated lock..."

From other hand he only tested same way so far only one other knife BM Griptilian and it looks like Axis did not fail same way. So to see is it really better or worse them majority of locks on the market - should be more locks tested.

For sure it should be compared to back-lock and liner/frame lock and I doubt those two will do better in same circumstances.

Lets wait for more tests done, before rush to conclusion. We may very well see it second but on top of 10-20 locks tested.

Thanks, Vassili
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Its definitely food for thought. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but so far, from what I've seen, Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock is in my top spot for preferred lock.

If someone here could do a test with their Manix 2, to a similar degree, that would be awesome.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

HotSoup wrote:Its definitely food for thought. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but so far, from what I've seen, Cold Steel's Tri-Ad lock is in my top spot for preferred lock.

If someone here could do a test with their Manix 2, to a similar degree, that would be awesome.
Sorry, I missed Lawman. But it is not a regular back lock - seems like Andrew Demko stop pin really absorb negative pressure on the lock. I am pretty sure that backlock will fail this really hard tests.

I also do not think that this kind of high velocity impacts on the spine is very practical. Until you want to slash using not edge but spine by mistake and hit hard surface by another mistake. For me at least - I can not imagine how it may happen in real life.

Thanks, Vassili.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

From watching the video he seems to be going through a cutting motion that would surely impair or damage any lock/pivot on a knife. When he gets near the end of his stroke he torques the knife hard to strip the wood off. This is going to cause extreme stress on the pivot and lock area of the knife. He also seems to be a rather big boy so he is putting a lot more force than most people would to accomplish that task. This rotational movement is not one that I would ever put a folding or even fixed knife through and expect it to come out well. I was a little dis-heartened to see the lock fail, but it not going to change my mind about the BBL. Any tool can fail. Any tool will fail when "used" in certain ways.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

There's test and there's beat the **** out of something, and he ain't testing the knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The standard test for lock strength is not a spine whack. Locks are tested with static pressure and controlled situations rather than one incident.

I don't think that M2 represents more than that M2 in that test. I'm not going to call conspiracy theory but if someone wanted it to fail they could probably find a way too.

I'm just a little tired with grassroots tests because agendas are unknown variables (as rare as they are).
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I can personally vouch for Jankerson though. He loves and has many Spydercos.
jzmtl, seriously, you think that was abuse? We need to have a good talk, lol.

Seems like light work to me for a 'hard-use' knife and honestly, if that is 'beating the ****' out of a knife, I think your standards are low for knives in 2010, :) .The Lawman and Grip held up.
:s

As for testing locks with static pressure, I simply don't get it. Is pressure static when you are cutting or stabbing?

A Chinook's MBC lock is rated to hold-up against pressure when applying to the top of the blade. That doesn't seem like static pressure to me if you're going to make an attack like that..
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I agree that's not a test that's abuse. If your going to use your folder like that it's going to fail. Get a fixed blade
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

SpydieZ wrote:I agree that's not a test that's abuse. If your going to use your folder like that it's going to fail. Get a fixed blade
Its 2010. I don't think that kind of work constitutes abuse. Batoning? Yes, but I've seen a couple new folders hold up well against batoning through hard wood, and to that I say, where is your God now? :p
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

HotSoup wrote: jzmtl, seriously, you think that was abuse?
To me smacking the spine that hard is never the intended use of any folder, and not something one will ever encounter in use (I can't think of anything like that). The purpose of a lock is to add extra step of safety, not turn it into a fixed blade.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I have to agree that wasn't a test. He was basically prying big chunks off at the bottom so of course there would be alot of side to side play. I don't really think folders are designed to withstand that kind of ab"use". What he was doing should be done with a fixed blade.
-John
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Man that was really disappointing. But I'm sure I'll never use the Manix like that. The lock-up is enough for me!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

One video, one M2 failed. Other videos show the M2 doing very well. To me, it's a mildly entertaining video, but nothing more nor less.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
kawr

Post by kawr »

I would consider that serious abuse to a folder. That being said the Lawman did stand up to the same abuse so it was a bit shocking in that regard but still abuse is abuse even though the Manix 2 has an MBC rated lock it wasn't meant to take spine whacks and that kind of side to side torque wrenching.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

definitely not a test for a folder. anyone that buys a folder with the intention of using it as that one was in the video, should be slapped.

even after watching that video though, i still wouldnt buy a Cold Steel over a Spyderco.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

It really surprised me to see it fail. I say it was either a lemon or a function of the pivot being so loose.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

There is a much larger thread on Blade Forums regarding the knives. He is willing to send the knife to Spyderco for them to have a look. He is also surprised the lock failed. Anyway. I enjoy these tests. Wont impact my decision to buy any knife because I always take it with a bit of salt.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Seems like the pivot bushing system needs some more refinement :spyder: :confused:
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Take a look at the video starting at around 2:25.

This is not a test of a knife any more than trying to "test" a chisel as a screwdriver.

There is simply no excuse for calling such heavy, repeated spinewhacks a "test" of a folding knife lock.