Cara Cara Rescue goes overboard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pete1977

Cara Cara Rescue goes overboard

Post by Pete1977 »

I lost the Cara Cara Rescue that Sal sent me last year. I was cutting a piece of rope and set it down on top of one of the lobster traps. I kept reminding myself to get it before I set the trawl back and naturally did not remember. It was our last trawl and after cutting the rope and making up a new buoy I went and set the gear back. I got the hose and started spraying the boat down and noticed that the knife was not next to the throttle where I always put it and then it dawned on me. Doh.

I used that knife almost exclusively for a year. The serrations were by far the absolute best that spyderco put out. I guess I am in the market for a new rope knife. :mad:
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

I'm sad to hear that, Pete!

It always sucks when you lose a knife that's special to you. :(
ryanandty

Post by ryanandty »

Yep, 't'would be a sad, sad day.
Salty!

Big fan of the Byrd SE's!
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

It was a pretty ignominious end for a knife that wasn't valuable per se but served me well. I was originally sent the knife to review and wound up carrying it long term. I liked the blade length and the serration pattern. It was rusty and scratched and the edge was chipped and the teeth were blunt from when the girl cut against the anchor in an emergency. There was mud in the grooves on the scales, crud in the pivot, it was difficult to open one handed at the end but there was no blade play and it locked up as solid as the day I got it.

The more I think about it the more I miss it and am pretty seriously considering trolling a heavy duty magnet along the course that I set the trawl. There is about a 0% chance of getting it back but as knife knuts, you know you would be thinking the same thing ;)
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

too bad you dont have any dive gear. as was said before i suggest a yellow tasman salt. i used the heck out of mine at work and it took all i could throw at it. also i think they sell those lil floaty things for keys and such which might be a good idea as long as it doesnt get in the way for you. sorry about losing the byrd. i just came to realize that i have no idea where my kreind zdp endura is so i feel your pain.

ps: you should talk to Kenneth, he has lost 2 or 3 knives in the same area of water so his new nickname is butterfingers :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

tony-
I have a small pony tank but I wouldn't take it below 10 feet and diving in this stretch of water is pretty much suicidal between all the boat traffic and lobster gear.

I am thinking of finding a yellow SE atlantic salt on the secondary market ($$ is pretty tight) and making the serrations shallower. I have a meadowlark rescue SE but I don't think it is going to be a long enough knife for work. After using the harpy for a while I just find that I like the sheepsfoot more than the hawksbill for the kind of cutting that I do.

I actually knew when I put the knife on top of the trap that that was the last I would see of it. I have a million things on my mind running that boat and I am usually very aware of where my knife is at all times. It was the last set of the day and we were going fast and done early and severe thunderstorms were predicted for the afternoon so all I was thinking was get the trawl set back and go home. Five minutes later I realized that the knife was five fathoms under the boat. :rolleyes:
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Pete,

If a bunch of :spyder: nuts were going to chip in and get you a Spyderco Salt, would you want a serrated Atlantic or serrated Spyderhawk?
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Thom

while that is an extremely generous gesture I could not accept. I lost a $30 knife that I was given to test for free and I can find something to tide me over until I replace it. I still have the meadowlark rescue that came with the cara cara. I truly appreciate the sentiment though. That is what makes this forum great. :) Thank you

pete
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pete,

Actually we're planning on sending a new one to you.

sal
SCALPHUNTER

Post by SCALPHUNTER »

Maybe some type of lanyard or safety line you could hook to your belt when you are working to prevent a recurrence would help?
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Great thread. Lots of love. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

After reading your Review on it Pete I went out and bought one! I agree it does have
the best serrations I've seen or used on a knife as well. I carry and use mine
working in the restaurant.

Great people here and equally fine forum. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Pete1977 wrote:while that is an extremely generous gesture I could not accept.
pete
Well, hoping you'll at least accept one from this guy:
sal wrote:Hi Pete,

sal
Papa :spyder: to rescue (with a rescue knife)!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't know losing your knife in the ocean was covered under the warranty. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sorry to hear you lost your knife, Pete. What you described could've happened to anyone. Sounds like Sal has a solution, though.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

sal
As always, Sal is unfailingly kind and a true gentleman.

The same goes for Thom!
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

sal
You guys don't need to do that :) I can buy one this time. I really appreciate the gesture and thoroughly enjoyed testing and reviewing the knife. I have never done a long term review before and in fact, have never carried or used one single knife for that length of time.
SCALPHUNTER wrote:Maybe some type of lanyard or safety line you could hook to your belt when you are working to prevent a recurrence would help?
It wouldn't be safe in my situation. I'd rather lose the knife then get a lanyard tangled up setting back gear or having an open knife swinging from a line if I need both hands.
Seanski wrote:After reading your Review on it Pete I went out and bought one! I agree it does have
the best serrations I've seen or used on a knife as well. I carry and use mine
working in the restaurant.

Great people here and equally fine forum. :)
:thumbup:
thombrogan wrote:Well, hoping you'll at least accept one from this guy:

Papa :spyder: to rescue (with a rescue knife)!
:D thanks Thom. the generosity of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
HistoricalMan wrote:As always, Sal is unfailingly kind and a true gentleman.

The same goes for Thom!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sal sent me the knife to test and review and I found that it did what I needed it to do perfectly. Technically you could say that I lost HIS knife overboard :D

I have always had a love/hate relationship with serrations. The serrations on that knife were my ideal edge. But it is a knife on a fishing boat so I suppose it was to be expected that it would end up on the bottom. Here is to someone else finding it in their traps and it not being too rusty for them to clean up and use.

I have to say I did not expect this kind of response to losing an inexpensive knife that I got for free. That speaks volumes for the caliber of people found on this forum. Thanks to Thom and Sal and everyone else who has weighed in on this thread and in PM.

Pete
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Here is the last known photo of the Cara Cara Rescue, taken two weeks ago while we were replacing the trap table on my boat. Sorry about the closeup of my butt. The guy kneeling down is my twin brother. He was helping us out.
Attachments
last known photo of cara cara rescue.jpg
last known photo of cara cara rescue.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

A little update: Last saturday while walking to my other job on the whale watch boat I happened to find a brand new Victorinox Gardener in the parking lot of the Walgreens. It was sitting on a curb. It is too small to replace the Cara Cara Rescue as my work knife and I will probably give it to my brother.

Wednesday night I was over the folks' house for dinner with the girl and my dad gave me the Atlantic Salt SE that I had given him for Father's Day a few years ago. He said he felt bad that I lost the knife but I think I would be even more upset to lose this one. It has been a busy week trying to make the insurance payment on the boat and we fished pretty much every day for the last 2 weeks so I haven't gotten around to replacing the knife. I have been using a Mora on the boat and the Meadowlark Rescue is working fine for splicing and gear work. I should do a review on that one since it was the whole reason for getting it :D .
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

I am still new to these forums and I am remarkably impressed with the generosity and closeness of the members here. I first got a spyderco about a year ago and I was amazed at the quality and utility of the blade. It now goes well beyond that. This thread right here has shown what an outstanding job Sal, the rest of the crew and without a doubt, the knife junkies :) have done to create a community of genuine friendship and caring. This community completes the forging of every blade.

Sorry Pete I am not trying to hijack your thread.