Superhawk, Tasman, or Harpy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FissionMailed

Superhawk, Tasman, or Harpy?

Post by FissionMailed »

Hey guys, I've been looking into getting a Hawkbill blade for a while, and I'm wondering, which one would be the best choice?

The Harpy has a major con for me which is the fact that there is no reversible pocket clip and I'm a left. The Tasman will not be as heavy duty as the Harpy or Superhawk, and the Superhawk is EXPENSIVE. Those are just some cons I came up with. Thanks for helping me choose!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

One of my edc blades is a Tasman SE. It may not feel as heavy duty as the stainless Harpy but has proven to be a tough little knife for me. Have you looked into the H1 Spyderhawk? I don't own one but it has been recommended as a heavy duty knife. It's also cheaper than the Harpy.
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

ChrisM wrote:One of my edc blades is a Tasman SE. It may not feel as heavy duty as the stainless Harpy but has proven to be a tough little knife for me. Have you looked into the H1 Spyderhawk? I don't own one but it has been recommended as a heavy duty knife. It's also cheaper than the Harpy.
Yeah I looked into the Spyderhawk. I dunno, I sorta have a hang-up with Pin Construct Linerless models. I just feel like it's gonna crap out on me. Hahaha. Thank though. :]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Superhawk is a pocketful. Fantastic blade but more demanding. That said, if you can still get it do it. It will only increase in value since discontinuation. The Crossbill is a very cheap imitation which you might enjoy thrashing on.

I'd go Tasman personally. It works great in SE and won't ever rust so it will always have a spot in your rotation.

It's one of the more popular choices for electricians and other hard working folks here. They beat the crap out them and they still bounce back!

Edit: pinned FRN are still VERY tough. Some have been carrying early delicas over a decade. I personally think unlined hawks flex less as your pulling more and pushing down less.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

either the tasman salt or spyderhawk would be a great choice as they are both great knives.

one thing you might want to consider is the sheeple factor. where will you be using the knife? the tasman salt is pretty low profile. the spyderhawk is not. i have both and trust me, a lot people will have very negative reactions to the spyderhawk.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Superhawk all the way! It is the perfect hawkbill. The handle is thick and extremlu comfy in the hand. One of the best handles in the knife world. Blade shape amazing, and thik wire clip! You won't be disappointed! And the price they are available for now is a steal
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

SpydieZ wrote:Superhawk all the way! It is the perfect hawkbill. The handle is thick and extremlu comfy in the hand. One of the best handles in the knife world. Blade shape amazing, and thik wire clip! You won't be disappointed! And the price they are available for now is a steal
I emphatically agree with SPYDIEZ and others that are suggesting the Superhawk. I actually bought four of them at a great price. (Three are locked away to be sold sometime in the future).

If you can afford it get it! The only negative is that the Superhawk will feel like it completely fills your pocket, as it's relatively heavy and large compared to your other choices. So to remedy that problem... when I carry my Superhawk I use a belt sheath. If you have to carry in your pocket then I would suggest the Spyderhawk. It's a great knife, fairly lite for its size with a huge and excellent H1 hawkbill blade. (All that said about the Spyderhawk, as some have suggested it is a frightening knife if seen by a not knife-friendly person, but I think that's true of all the hawkbills.)

Bottom line is get both the Superhawk and the Spyderhawk.... If you eventually have to sell one then the Superhawk will be the money maker (as long as you don't carry it, sharpen it, and hold onto the box and any papers that may come with it...)

Oh, I almost forgot to say go plain edge, you wont be unhappy with that type of blade in all the hawkbills. Don't get me wrong SE can be the superior cutter for the use you have in mind. But sharpening a serrated knife is much more time consuming and if you do it wrong you'll have to send it back to Spyderco for resharpening. The plain edge knives are a dream to sharpen with the Sharpmaker.

Good Luck,
Joe :D :spyder:
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i couldnt stand the superhawk so it went away in a contest.

out of the other 2 id go with the Tasman, isnt the Harpy SS? not into the heavier SS Spydercos
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Take a look at the byrd crossbill.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I think the best advice came from Blerv...Get the Tasman and get one of those cheap Crossbill Byrds...If your thinking SD...get the PE Crossbill...utility, get the combo edge...I think you would be happy with both purchases.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

FissionMailed wrote:Yeah I looked into the Spyderhawk. I dunno, I sorta have a hang-up with Pin Construct Linerless models. I just feel like it's gonna crap out on me. Hahaha. Thank though. :]
I have a first gen Endura that is pin constructed that got some heavy (and dirty) use. Never had an issue... if it needed cleaning, some hot water and a maybe some soap go it clean. Still locks up great.

I agree with chuck... check out the Byrd Crossbill... great knife at a great price.

That or the Tasman/Spyderhawk are great knives.
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I vote superhawk because its a tank of a knife. Don't worry about value of reselling worry about value of use. Its a great knife I carry the superhawk for pe hawkbill needs and the H1 spyderhawk for se needs. The tasman would be a great work horse and discrete for carry.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

+1 Superhawk
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I haven't handled the SuperHawk myself. I prefer teeth on my hawkbills, and I prefer the more aggressively curved blades. If you have not used a hawk before, Chuck made a very good suggestion. The Crossbill is a tank of a knife, the G-10 version is reasonably light weight and it is inexpensive enough that you probably won't be tempted to baby it. If you don't like the hawkbill shape, you're out less than a good dinner date.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Grizzled Gizzard

Post by Grizzled Gizzard »

I somehow noticed that KC had a Superhawk for a deep discount, then right after that I read this thread...

That's not a "Spydie Bite" you fool, it's "Destiny"!

Dang. Another knife I didn't realize I had to have... This could get ugly...
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

The tasman gets my vote. Its the only one I have out of those three but for its reasons. Its the perfect size and I really love the capabilities of the salt series. The harpy would be too slippery and heavy for me. I'd definately recommend the tasman, or if not the superhawk just because of their light weight and the rust resistant steel. Good luck man! :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!