The Obvious Next Question... :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grizzled Gizzard

The Obvious Next Question... :)

Post by Grizzled Gizzard »

One thing that seems very difficult for me as a new Spydie collector, is trying to figure out what configurations of which knives are currently available. I am sending a request for a catalog TODAY, but even then it seems like one has to be "in the know". Toward that end, of course, I am being diligent about this forum.

So far I have found this forum to be ever so helpful, and for that I am very very grateful. My last query has made another one obvious. I know that I will pick up a serrated Spydie post haste. Now all I need to do is figure out which one.

First of all, I am wondering what configurations of serrations are available. Knowing how progressive Spyderco is, are there any knives with serrations on just the front half of the blade? I've heard mention of such thing, and it sounds like a great idea, and if anyone would do it, I know it would be Spyderco. The reasoning makes perfect sense to me. If not, I would probably go with carrying two knives, one fully serrated. Does that limit the options, or are most Spydies available with both partial and full SE?

I like bigger, heavier knives, because they seem/feel stronger, but weight is the least issue. I'm thinking Para, Endura or Manix. Handle material not as important as quality steel, (vg10 is good) but that's another thing I don't know about; Do SE knives generally come in softer steel to resist breaking a point off? Is that an issue?

Again, I Thank You Muchly, in advance, for your consideration. :)
unit

Post by unit »

There are many serrated knives to choose from.

The Endura is a great choice and you can get VG-10, ZDP-189, or H-1 (though that is called the Pacific Salt and lacks the liners of the Endura 4, but is otherwise quite similar).

Right now the trend is towards plain edges with a lesser emphasis on serrated (spyder) edges, and almost no love for combination edges. I clearly recall thinking combination edges were among the ONLY knives I would consider.

Preference is up to you. It depends a lot on what you like and what you plan to use the knife for. There are many options and you can play with the online catalog and get a lot of great information.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To answer your other question, no, there has never been a Spyderco with a combo edge blade where the serrations were on the forward half. It has been suggested here before, but given the limited appeal of combo edge, I don't know if it ever will happen. FWIW, I know AG Russell has at least one sailing knife configured that way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Spyderco does not run their steel softer on the serrated blades. I have a C54BMS Calypso in my pocket right now that is missing a few teeth. In fact, on the H-1 (Salt series) blades, the edge is actually harder on the serrated than on the PE.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Have you looked at the Blue Rescue? 1/4 PE, then 3/4 serrations. Good all-around blade there.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

One of the Salt's would be great in SE. I have a Tasman Salt and Caspian Salt (Combo edge). These knives cut and hold an edge extremely well.

Looks like you've been bitten Grizzled lolol.... :)

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Carrying two knives (one PE and SE) is a good option. :)

Seems like the Manix 2 SE would be a good option for you.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Carrying two knives (one PE and SE) is a good option. :)

Seems like the Manix 2 SE would be a good option for you.
I've take to the 2 knife approach :)
Also, the Manix2 CE is a great option.

I first thought a CE with the serrations up front would be good... but after thinking for some time on it decided it wasn't that useful. Anytime you want a PE you tend to want to puncture as well, where as when you tend to need a SE, its to "saw" (cut rope, or other fibrous material) and so the back half is fine. (for what I do anyways).
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Grizz, you might like to look at the H1 Spyderhawk. No rust H1 steel in a fully serated hawkbill blade, fitted to a yellow Endura handle. AWESOME knife, people gasp when it gets pulled out, & then again when it goes to work. My opinion is that serations are best on a hawkbill blade doing pull cuts.
O.
Grizzled Gizzard

Post by Grizzled Gizzard »

You guys rock! Thanks so much for your kind suggestions and helpful information. I'll check out each and every suggestion, probably with the link to that cool online catalog, thanks to Unit!
ryanandty

Post by ryanandty »

The Salts sound like the absolute shining stars of all serrated knives in my (limited) opinion.

Purists will kill me, but I would also like to suggest a Byrd Robin SE in G-10. If for no other reason than to compare the edge to that of a regular spyder and say that you have handled one. I believe the serrations are a bit more shallow than those of a regular spyder, and the steel is the same that you have on your persistence (I did read that you have one, correct?). They are inexpensive, they can be had for about $24 if you look hard enough, and it is really a good quality knife that makes a fan of most who deign to pick it up. I have only tried one out, but I'm picking one up soon. I own a meadowlark rescue SE that I like alot also.

/rant partially explaining my signature
Salty!

Big fan of the Byrd SE's!
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

The Endura is a fabulous, hard-working knife. I use my CE Endura regularly. A full SE Endura would make sense, too, if you deal often with fibrous materials.

Frankly, I do like having serrations at the front of the blade for rope or fabric duty. But in my case, I already have an Atlantic Salt SE (which, while less versatile than the Endura owing to the sheepsfoot blade, I can also recommend).
Raman