police or military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gmand16

police or military?

Post by gmand16 »

Hey guys,

I recently lost my delica wave and I am looking to purchase a new spyderco. I loved the delica but I want something a little bigger this time around. It is for everyday use. I have heard great things about both but I would like to hear different perspectives. What would your recommendation be between the police and the military and why?

I would appreciate any advice.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I like the Military because it is liner lock, is lighter and I like the blade shape. If you are talking about the SS Police, the Millie is grippier and I prefer the FFG blade also. The Military has a lanyard dole too if that's important to you.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Police 3 gets my vote. If only i could legally carry something this big.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=358
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Military for me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Both are considerably bigger than the Delica. Police is thin and narrow, but heavy. Military is both wide and thick, but light. Military has the more robust blade, Police the finer tip. If you really want something just a bit bigger than your Delica, you might want to consider the Stretch II which packs considerably more blade into a package that's still quite compact.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

I have both and like to carry both at times. They are bigger in pocket and you will
probably feel that. I agree with Deacon, maybe look at a Stretch as well as your
other two choices. Both the Military and Police you will be sporting tip down.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Military is lighter, but the POLICE III is slimmer, and has a thinner blade which slices really nice.

You can't go wrong with either, but the Millie deploys faster.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I agree with the Stretch 2, but you also might want to look at the Endura. It comes in G-10, SS or FRN handle, and flat saber, hollow or full flat grinds. Just a thought.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

If your choices for a larger :spyder: are between the Spyderco Military and the Spyderco Police3 (the G-10 version), the Military is much nicer in many ways. Both are great knives, but I personally would go with the Military because of its design.
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

Thank you very much for all of the responses I am definitely taking all points into consideration when I make my decision. I should have phrased my initial post differently. I did not mean slightly bigger than my previous delica. I have handled both the military and police and I want something of that size for edc. It seems as though most people are in favor of the military more than the police.

I was thinking about the military ti but do not know if I want to spend that sort of money at this point. So as far as handles go, how does the g-10 handle compare to the stainless?

Also, it sounds as though the military is more of a durable knife. Is s30v a stronger metal than vg10? Which holds an edge longer?

Thanks for all the replies!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

If comparing G-10 to stainless steel handles, I personally like the G-10 for its grip. Stainless steel is nice for knife handles, but it can be a bit slick.

If comparing G-10 to titanium handles, I like both. On the Spyderco Ti Military, the titanium handles work well, provide the advantage of the Chris Reeve Integral Lock, and make the design more robust. I find the titanium handles have sufficient "roughness" for the grip, and the overall design of the Military's handle enhances the grip of the knife.

And, CPM S30V tends to hold an edge longer.

Post by 224477 »

Police 3 is the longest current spyderco in the lineup. Its one of my most favourite spydercos, flat grind, G10, long, sleek, great grip, 4way clip, solid mid lock and not even heavy for how LONG it is.

I dont have a Military, but the blade seems to be a bit virtually stronger. Different lock, simillar weight, 1 way clip only and not too friendly to use with each hand actually. /or you need to get the limited LH model/

If I imagine the only place I would take the military over the police, its forrest or outdoor activities, otherwise I would stick with the P3 :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

For pocket carry, I prefer the Military for its light weight and the excellent steels of the Sprint Runs. For inside the waistband carry I prefer the stainless Police. As a compromise, the G-10 Police III would be a good choice if the blade were within the legal limit for where I live.

You can probably guess my solution. ;)

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
clockman

Post by clockman »

The Millie is going to be your best chioce IMO. I have both of your chioces.

The g-10 version of the Millie is going to be quite a bit lighter(4.25 oz) than

the ti Millie which weights 5.9 ozs. Thats almost 2 ozs which is quite a bit

in a knife. I think the g-10 version is going to be Much More Comfortable

for you. ;)
losabio

Post by losabio »

yablanowitz wrote:For pocket carry, I prefer the Military for its light weight and the excellent steels of the Sprint Runs. For inside the waistband carry I prefer the stainless Police. As a compromise, the G-10 Police III would be a good choice if the blade were within the legal limit for where I live.

I think yablanowitz nailed it. The SS Police model is great IWB, and less great (IMO) in the pocket due to its long pointy butt and the low traction combo of old school clip and slick stainless steel. The SE Police model is a conversation starter for sure!

The Military never really felt like home to me, but it's a really good knife.
SCALPHUNTER

Post by SCALPHUNTER »

The blade styles have pretty well been covered so I won't comment on them. With me, the locking mechanism is the most important feature...so you might ask yourself...do you prefer the linerlock of the Millie, or the lockback of the Police model?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont carry either of them but handling/owning both i like the Military more. in hand is better, the action is better & the lock is more trusting than the Police.

i just do not like the tip down carry on the Military and the Police 3 has the option of both. still id probably carry the Military. The action of that thing is like no other, accept the Starmate.
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

Thanks again for all the responses. It appears as though most people recommend the military. If I could afford the military ti it would not be a difficult decision at all. Gonna think on it a bit longer, either way though I won't be going wrong.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've been carrying a millie since '02, and an endura since '03... I'd have to check what year my ss police is.

I've abused both my millie and endura and know what they'll take. Trust me, you can't hurt the military.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Have you considered the Endura? My Endura PE has been a perfect EDC for me. It's plenty big for anything I do with a knife, but it still fits comfortably in my pocket.