Tenacious for $30?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Tenacious for $30?

Post by Evil D »

I know there's some fans of this knife on there but give it to me straight...how well does the 8Cr13Mov hold an edge? I don't really collect knives so if i buy it and it doesn't hold an edge better than or at least as well as my D4 then it'll just get tossed in a box and forgotten. A buddy of mine is selling one for $30 but i'm not sure what kind of shape it's in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If that's the way you feel, don't get it. 8Cr13Mov takes a wicked edge and holds it fairly well, but it won't hold it as well as VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
losabio

Post by losabio »

I seem to sharpen my 8Cr13MoV Persistence more than I do my VG-10 Urban when I swap them out for EDC, but that may be due to the fact that I can more easily sharpen the Persistence. With the VG-10 blades, the Sharpmaker comes out when there's no other choice. With the 8Cr13MoV, if I check the blade and feel like "I can get that edge a little sharper...", I break out the SM immediately.
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

My wifes "good" kitchen knives are 8Cr13Mov and are very sharp and hold their edge (yes, soft foods don't do much to an edge relative to wood/cardboard/etc, but still seems like a great steel).

I also have a Byrd Crossbill that is 8Cr13Mov and it seems to be very good (use it for electrical work, cutting shielding and thin wires).
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

The tenacious shines because it is a great knife at its niche in terms of its pricepoint. E4s do not go for $30, so comparing them together does not do justice for either knives.

8cr13MoV is great for a $30 knife, but VG10 is in another class and performs well within its class.
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

My tenacious is holding its edge ok under light cutting tasks. I did manage to slightly dull part of the edge cutting hard wood during a recent hiking trip. Even that, I could still cut softer wood (pine) with it!
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

In my experience, 8Cr13Mov loses that initial hair splitting edge fairly quickly, but then it retains a good cutting edge for a while.

I'm not really a fan of the steel.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Somewhere between a well treated AUS8 and VG10.

Certainly better steel than should come on a $30 knife. ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Somewhere between a well treated AUS8 and VG10.

Certainly better steel than should come on a $30 knife. ;)
Very true, and something most folks can appreciate. Problem is, at least in my opinion, the OP has set the bar impossibly high.
Paul
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

These questions sort of make me chuckle.

I have three Tenacious Knives.

1.)Its a knife.
2.)It cuts things, really well.
3.)When it gets dull, I sharpen it.
4.)It's cheap.

Steel this, steel that. A knife is tool. You are getting a deal if the blade is good and the lock up is fine.

Barring that, save up and get a real slicer, the Stretch 2.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Very true, and something most folks can appreciate. Problem is, at least in my opinion, the OP has set the bar impossibly high.
I wouldn't say that...it's just that i'm only going to carry one knife so why bother if it isn't as good as what i already have? It isn't a knife that i'm interested in for collection reasons, so there has to be some kind of appeal with it or else what's the point?

Of course the argument can be made that i'm in the same settling position with the VG-10 on my D4, but then price still comes into play and i didn't spend a fortune for the D4. $30 is cheap but like i said if it's not going to perform at my job as well as what i have then i can put that money towards a nicer knife down the road.
~David
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

You should be looking at XHP Manix 2 or stretch 2 ZDP if you are a steel snob like me and looking for a much better steel than VG10, unfortunately neither of those are in $30 range.
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

VG-10 is a favorite of mine. 8Cr13MoV is simply not as good in many respects. But as others have said, "it ain't bad for the price."
THG

Post by THG »

Steel, schmeel. They're all the same to me.

Go by design, not the steel.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

THG wrote:Steel, schmeel. They're all the same to me.

Go by design, not the steel.
Bang on!
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:I wouldn't say that...it's just that i'm only going to carry one knife so why bother if it isn't as good as what i already have? It isn't a knife that i'm interested in for collection reasons, so there has to be some kind of appeal with it or else what's the point?

Of course the argument can be made that i'm in the same settling position with the VG-10 on my D4, but then price still comes into play and i didn't spend a fortune for the D4. $30 is cheap but like i said if it's not going to perform at my job as well as what i have then i can put that money towards a nicer knife down the road.
FWIW, that wasn't intended as criticism, only to say that you set a standard that the Tenacious could not meet.

To my way of thinking steel "quality" is only one of several factors, and by no means the most important, in deciding which knife to carry. Every knife gets dull, some just take longer than others. By using steel as the sole criterion for "better", you may miss knives that really would work better for you. Every knife gets dull, some just take longer than others. I'm not saying the Tenacious would be one of those knives. Personally, I wouldn't carry one due to its lack of a choil, even if the lock were not wrong handed. But, in your situation, I'd be more apt to see how it felt in my hand, and make my decision based on that.

Bottom line, it's your money, and your decision to make.
Paul
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Since you'd be buying it only as a user, and you'd only use it if the steel were better than VG-10, then the answer is simple. Don't buy it. Save the money towards another knife that has a better steel that you will actually use. 8Cr13Mov isn't a bad steel by any means, but it doesn't meet the criteria that you are looking for. Fortunately, Spyderco makes many other knives with steels that meet your requirements. Anything with ZDP-189, S90V, CTS-XHP, or M4 will exceed the edge holding of your current blade. As for the $30 price tag, that's not an exceptional deal by any means, as the Tenacious is available from many retailers for $30-35 brand new.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was wondering if the price was good or bad...i know MSRP is like $50 or around there but i thought maybe i could find them knew elsewhere.

And Paul i totally get what you're saying..i just misunderstood. I do wanna hold it, and i wouldn't say i'm a steel snob but edge retention is critical for me but i also don't wanna spend all day trying to put an edge on so i like where i'm at with VG-10. I do want a S30V Native PE, as i don't seem to have much difficulty putting an edge on the one i have and my understanding is that it's a step up from VG10, correct?

I know i sound really super picky but i don't have a lot of cash to blow on my knives, so i sweat the details on my purchases. The D4 was a good middle ground on price and quality but i'd like to upgrade when my budget allows.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What do you use your knives for? The material you most often use your knife on may also be factor. However, $30 used is not an excellent deal.
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What do you use your knives for? The material you most often use your knife on may also be factor. However, $30 used is not an excellent deal.
You can get them new for $30; also many of the VG-10 blades are around $50... I just picked up a Blue 93mm Rescue VG-10 for $50 Canadian (so about $47US)
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!