Wharncliffe Centofante 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Wharncliffe Centofante 4

Post by Evil D »

What is the advantage of a blade design like this? I've always read that a curved blade was better at cutting, so what's the idea behind the flat edge? I know they're discontinued but there's one for sale at the flea market...if there's something i've missed about these knives i may pick it up.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=201
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ski

Post by Ski »

Check out this great thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=621419

All in all, it's a great design for EDC. The low point with all its controllability is perfect for opening packaging.

I EDC my Saver Salt for similar reasons.
Ted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

I'm tempted to get one. Actually I'm thinking of getting both Centofante's
while their still in stock. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This one says discontinued...
~David
Ski

Post by Ski »

There are places other than the SFO to buy them.
Ted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ah.

The thing i'm curious about is how long the blade would stay straight after repeated use and sharpening. I bet it would eventually get a curve to it.
~David
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Properly sharpened you should have no problem.
This knife would be a strop dream knife. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
Ski

Post by Ski »

Evil D wrote:Ah.

The thing i'm curious about is how long the blade would stay straight after repeated use and sharpening. I bet it would eventually get a curve to it.
That's like saying a blade with a ton of belly will go flat.

It you sharpen with good technique, it will just get shorter from the tip and in height.
Ted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nope. Sharpened properly it should just slowly recede upwards. The biggest concern with a thin wharnie is tip degradation as it does the lion-share of the cutting. Then again, just don't use it as a linoleum knife and the tip should stand up well in VG10.

Advantages: easy to sharpen, aggressively cutting tip that doesn't deflect (blades with belly) or snag as it cuts (some hawkbills).

Disadvantages: like a hawkbill there are some tasks where having a belly is advantageous such as peeling labels and some chopping tasks.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Well, let's put it this way: If you pointed a gun at me and took all my Spydies but one, I'd keep one of my C4s. So yes, you're missing something IMO.

Gordon
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it is a great knife that feels tiny in pocket but when used it has more than enough of blade. i never liked the idea of a wharnie blade till i bought one, now i love them, plus they are pretty cheap as well. go get one!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The tip degradation was more along what i meant with curving the blade.

You guys have piqued my interest. I'll have to go back up there this weekend and give it another look. It was priced about the same as my D4.
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The great thing about Wharncliffe blades is that one can push the blade straight up the stone, rather than having to perform a curved motion to accommodate the belly. It significantly simplifies the process.
I. M. Nutts

Post by I. M. Nutts »

Ooooh, I like a warnie!

That yellow one with the full serrations looks badass.

:cool: :) :cool:
No trees were harmed in the production of this message. However, a rather large number of Electrons and Magnetic Particles were somewhat inconvenienced.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I. M. Nutts wrote:Ooooh, I like a warnie!

That yellow one with the full serrations looks badass.

:cool: :) :cool:
The yellow knife is more of a Sheepfoot design, not really a wharnie...The Centofante IV is a light sabre, very easy to sharpen and cuts like a razor, it did very well in meat tests, and there aren't too many knives out there that makes for a great slasher for SD like this knife. Plus the designer recently pasted away..so you won't be seeing anything more from Frank in the way of new stuff....run back..to the store and buy it...you won't be dissapointed....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's good enough for me :D
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I didn't like them until I got one and used it.... well, now I want Spyderco to make more... please!? :) I like them so much I had to improvise and make my own...

Get the Cento 4 quick before you are too late! Use it and you'll be converted. It really is a great all around shape, except for cutting on a cutting board, and even that can still be done.

- best wishes, Jazz.
THG

Post by THG »

It's more like the opposite. Mine all come with a slight curvature that I have to correct myself.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can someone tell me if this is a hollow grind or not? I don't remember from handling it. I'm really considering buying it. The other thing i'm not sure about is how thin the blade is...is it going to stand up to whittling and hard use like i've put my Delica through?

EDIT: yep it is....man that stinks, i'm not sure i want another hollow ground knife.
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Evil D wrote:EDIT: yep it is....man that stinks, i'm not sure i want another hollow ground knife.
I'm not a fan of saber hollow grinds either, but the blades on the Centofantes are so thin that it doesn't bother me the way it does with other knives.

Gordon