Buying my first pocket knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

freeman7 wrote:You have already received plenty of good advice. However, I will add my .02 anyway.
Simply put, the Native is a time-tested design that will do anything you could reasonably expect an under 3" knife to do. It carries and handles with the best. You will not go wrong with a Native.
Unless your hands don't fit it nicely... I loved the Native when I see pictures of it and even when I saw it live... but when I handled it, the handle just wasn't right for me. As much as I love the knife I just couldn't spend money on one I wouldn't use because it felt a bit off.

If at all possible, go to a store to try handling some of them.
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

Rbkhockey81 wrote:Hey guys, first post here, im new to knifes, but from the start I've loved spyderco knives. Anyway I'm a teenager and over the summer I'd like to carry a pocket knife around. I live in Michigan so the blade must be under 3" and cannot be assisted opening. I'm looking for a knife around $25, the main knife I've been looking at is the persistence, but I do not like the huge leaf style blade, I like a thinner blade like on the delica, endura, centofante, etc. And yes I've looked at the Byrd series but I'd rather have a real spyderco, and I like the circular thumbhole better on the spyderco's Orr the funky bird eye thumbhole on the byrds. I really like the shape and the lockback on the ladybug, but the blade is too small. So what do you guys recommend I get?
Welcome Rbkhockey81 :cool: !
I have a few Natives, a Tenacious, and quite a few Delicas, and you really can't go wrong with either one, as allready stated; But, based on the great performance of cpm-s30v, I think you will be more than impressed with the Native! Note: I believe it's the Gen 1, or 2...Gen3 has VG-10 which people like as much as s30v.
Good luck bro!

John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Rbkhockey81 wrote:Yeah I'd have no problem spending more money on a delica, but the issue is since I'm a teenager, I don't have a credit card to use online, so I'd have to use my moms and she would think it's ridiculous to spend over 25 on a knife, unless I went to walgreens and got a pre paid credit card but it seems sketchy trying to sneak a knife in my house.

Thanks for the help guys.
While everyone here can tell you about their favorite blades, I'd like to offer advice of another sort:

You suggested that your mom would be unhappy if you spent more than $25 or if you bought a knife on the sly and sneaked it in the house.

So why not talk it over with her before you do anything?

This could be a win-win for both of you. It will give her confidence that you won't do something that would make her uncomfortable. And it will help you think through when and where you're going to carry your knife. That will help you avoid getting in trouble or violating state or local laws.

For example, if you're still in school, most districts have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to knives. Also, in many communities, police officers confiscate knives from teens. You don't want to risk getting an arrest or criminal record that would follow you for life.

You sound like you're smart enough that you already know this, and I'm not trying to discourage you. But no one here wants a young enthusiast to get in trouble.

Take precautions and this hobby will provide you with a lot of enjoyment.

Best wishes, and be sure to let us know what you decide on.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I agree with Flash. Also, make sure Mom understands that knives are tools, not weapons. I have used knives for many years and have used them thousands of times as tools to cut open boxes, strings, food, Etc. Never once have I used a knife to cut anyone but myself. I think most people here can say the same thing. I grew up in a semi-rural area and in a time where one wasn't properly dressed unless there was a knife in the front pocket. I personally don't know how I would function on a daily basis without a knife. I can't recall one day where i haven't used a knife for something, but I can remember lots of times where for whatever reason I did not have one and really could have used one.

Mom will probably be a lot more understanding the first time she struggles to open a cardboard box with her car keys and sees you zip it open with no effort with a knife.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Rbkhockey81

Post by Rbkhockey81 »

Thanks a lot for the help guys, your awesome.

I obviously don't plan to carry the knife places I shouldn't like school, etc. But I will definitely watch out, and be careful where i take my knife.

Does this forum have a place where I could buy used knifes, for a better deal?

Also, how do you measure the blade of a knife? I want to see how long my current crappy fury I got in alaska is.

Thanks.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

There is no trading on this forum, but you might want to check out Bladeforums.com. EBay can be a source of good deals if you are patient.

I think blade length is measured in a straight line from tip to the nearest handle portion. Edge length will almost always be shorter.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tell your mom you don't wanna waste your money on a cheap Walmart knife that won't last. Tell her you're serious about owning a quality tool that you'll have for many years to come and that although $60 bucks may sound like a lot now, a Delica will last you as long as 3 Walmart knives last if not longer. You get what you pay for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi mate,

Might I suggest that you invest in a Ladybug ? It was my first Spyderco and still to this day am absolutely gobsmacked at what this little thing can do. Seriously, for 90% of all my cutting tasks I will not need anything more than this LBK !

I am sure you can get one for your budget and it will serve you well :) Then once you have saved up a bit more I am certain your Mom will have seen you use the very NKP friendly Ladybug enough to allow a slightly larger Delica or better blade into your possession.

Just my humble opinion. I think when it comes to Moms it might pay to take it slow and steady otherwise if you get on the wrong side you will have NO CHANCE of getting anything better in the foreseeable future :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *