Knife tips and life lessons.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AH2525

Knife tips and life lessons.

Post by AH2525 »

So I never thought I would be the crazy obsessive knife guy...until today.

In May I graduated Seminary and got a SE Cricket for a present. I instantly fell in love with the blade shape and that super-sharp pointed tip. I mean for 3weeks I cut everything with that tip and barely used the rest of the blade. I found things to cut. Every desk calendar in my office has shears cut off....Until:

Yep, you guessed it I snapped off a miniscule but noticeable portion of the tip while trimming a piece of plastic gas can. So off went my 3 week old Cricket to Golden for repair and it promptly returned still laser sharp and with a new point....

(Let me interject, Spyderco provided SUPERB C/S on this and returned it in better shape than I could have hoped, this is on me alone.)

Upon examination, there is probably about 1/8-1/16" difference in the tip now. Functionlity is not impacted in the least. It is just an extremely subtle but noticeable (to me) difference, probably because I was so infatuated with this knife out of the box.....

That's when it hit me. I have joined the brotherhood of obsessive knife owners...I was one of them and never knew it. I cannot believe I could even tell a difference. And I was bugged not at the knife but at my own carelessness that led to this...And that's when I started to laugh at myself...Oil spills in the ocean, political turmoil, war, famine, disease, and I am worried about an 1/8" knife tip variance.

I think God used this as a gentle reminder to me to look around me and see what really matters. So my little Cricket is home and as useful as ever, but now it carries a vauable life lesson about what really matters.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

knife bro, the first one is free. you have to pay your knife pusher for the subsequent ones. :D
jlamb

Post by jlamb »

I think it is in our man dna that we have an inate attraction to tools. Knives are both tools and functional pieces of art all in one. The simplicity, yet the hours of R&D put into each piece makes it much more than simple. Enjoy the ride, cause this attraction was passed down to you from your ancestors who were using a sharpened rock to cut sabertooth hide.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Think about this - Do you have any scars or imperfections on your body?

Do you still like yourself? (I am assuming this is a "yes." :p )

Then just look at your cricket with the fond appreciation that it is different than all the other crickets out there and is yours alone. Love it despite it's imperfections because lets face it - nothing in this life is perfect.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

D1omedes wrote:Think about this - Do you have any scars or imperfections on your body?

Do you still like yourself? (I am assuming this is a "yes." :p )

Then just look at your cricket with the fond appreciation that it is different than all the other crickets out there and is yours alone. Love it despite it's imperfections because lets face it - nothing in this life is perfect.
True, and considering that they're all hand ground, I'd bet if you put 100 Crickets, or 100 of any other Spyderco reverse S or hawkbill blade for that matter, side by side, you'd find at least that much variance straight out of the box.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Perry

Post by Perry »

Thanks for the post. It's nice to have some perspective in our lives now and again. -P
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice story.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]