New York - Important INFO from Spyderco.com

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

New York - Important INFO from Spyderco.com

Post by TazKristi »

Due to the current events taking place in New York, Spyderco has elected to ship only select items until we have a clear understanding about how NY is interpreting their laws. Spyderco will ship only non-locking knives (SLIPITS & Slip Joints)and sharpening systems to New York State residents. Currently, these items can not be purchased on-line if you live in NY State, so please contact us directly at 800-828-1925, extension 4 or sfo@spyderco.com to place your order. To view these items, please click here for SLIPITS & Slip Joints and here for Sharpening Items.

As always, Spyderco recommends that you review and understand all of your local laws before purchasing any knife as legal requirements may vary by city, state and even county jurisdictions. Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Spyderco products. For more information, please contact your local Dealer, your local District Attorney's office and visit http://www.akti.org or http://www.kniferights.org
There is nothing more important than this one day.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for the update, Kristi.

I can't wait for all of this nonsense to stop.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Thank you Kristi.

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

That's sad news. Anyone want to get me in the know about what's going on in NY? I'll be going to upstate New York this summer; looks like I might not be bringing a knife. :(
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

I'm here right now! Whats the deal?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It looks like any smoothly opening folder with a lock is now being defined as a "gravity knife" by this DA. You'd be ok with a sub 4" fixed blade or a spyderco slip-it.

http://www.donath.org/Rants/NYKnifeLaw/

This kind of stuff is one of the reasons I relocated from NYS 18 years ago.

Another DA looking for a political future with a publicity stunt :(

Too bad, most of the land area in the state is rural.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

This is really a shame. :(

I'm blown away by this. (not by Spyderco but but the DA and NYS)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

Kristi,
when you say New York, you are talking about New York City, right? All of the links that you posted reference New York City only and there havre always been special laws governing the five boroughs. If you are actually talking about the entire state, what happens to a warranty knife I just sent you guys?
Hope you can clear this up.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Guess that means no more straight razors at the barber shop. How stupid!
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

tanrichguy wrote:Kristi,
when you say New York, you are talking about New York City, right? All of the links that you posted reference New York City only and there havre always been special laws governing the five boroughs. If you are actually talking about the entire state, what happens to a warranty knife I just sent you guys?
Hope you can clear this up.

It is referring to the state of New York, not just New York City. At this time, we haven't made any changes to how we will handle something coming in to W&R.

Hope this helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Why the sudden change in NY laws? Has there been a sudden rise in knives being used in crime and is there any data from LEOs that suggest that locking penknives are an issue? Or is this another example of politicians picking on an easy target to get them votes? :rolleyes:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

This is so Sad! To bad for the honest people of NY state. I feel your pain I live in Illinois we are probably #3 preceeded by California for restrctive gun and knife laws. Like NY the vast majority of the state is rural but, due to the gaint leech in the upper NE corner of the state (Chicago) we have some screwed up laws!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

This is what I think Chris.

Another DA looking for a political future with a publicity stunt.

Other folks here might come to their own conclusions.

Billy, I love your location :D Now 3 of my 25 Spydercos are legal in NY according to this interpretation of the law. 2 are Swicks.

Charlie
Charlie

Grendelspyce

Post by Grendelspyce »

Sadly this is the eventual endpoint of a situation I discussed on these boards a few years ago when my cousin was arrested for carrying a harpy. For those who don't recall, after a night out in the lower east side of manhattan two undercover cops stopped my cousin and I in the street. I was visiting on a business trip and we were hitting the bars and clubs before I had to fly out the next day. It was about 2am and we were both carrying harpys, mine was loose in my pocket and my cousin's (unfortunately) was clipped to the inside of his pocket (with the clip showing). The officers claimed they spotted the clip on my cousins pocket and after very awkwardly attempting to spydie-drop the knife the officer finally opened it with 2 hands. They arrested my cousin for carrying a "gravity knife" and he spent the night in jail and a boatload on attorneys fees. Needless to say it was a terrible ending to an otherwise fun night out.

I live in Virginia now, where knives clipped to pockets are as common as Coca-Cola, but I am always wary of hiding my knife when I visit family in New York State. In my opinion this is nothing more than promoting certain individuals careers at the expense of innocent citizen's rights. It's the same nonsense legislation for the sake of an "illusion of safety" that has us taking off our shoes at the airport.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

dbcad wrote:
Another DA looking for a political future with a publicity stunt.
This is what I see as well. This D.A. was elected this past January and is looking for "easy wins" to showboat his political career.

IMO all money that is put towards banning knives and firearms should be put towards banning cigarettes, the real danger to America.
In omnia paratus
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

The irritating part of laws like this to me is it only inconveniences law abiding citizens anyway. The guy that's waiting to mug someone isn't gonna care whether his knife is a switchblade or a slip-it. I don't EDC for protection anyways but, in reality this will have criminals better armed than regular people.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agreed!!!! to all........When will some common sense prevail over political expediency??

I'm very middle of the road on most issues, but this is a glaring political grab..,

Makes me angry and I have to stop posting because of it.

Wish all well for now, be careful in NYS.

Charlie
Charlie

buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Kristi,

What about a Mule that has been ordered? I assume it's shippable but just checking. Also, are you restricting the models dealers in New York state can order? Thanks!

In a lot of ways we live in a great and absolutely beautiful state (New York) but there are a lot of strange and sad aspects as well.
onecentweasel

Post by onecentweasel »

In New York, if your knife falls to the earth when you let go of it, it is affected by gravity, therefore it is a gravity knife...
Kidding aside, for info on what is happening in New york you should check out kniferights.org...
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I literally feel sick when I think about all of this.

We in NYC must follow such absurd laws and this is another to the list.

This makes me(and the family) want to move out of NY even more.

Also, I am now screwed as I wanted a forum knife.
Come Join Us Click Here