Spyderhawk or Tasman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buckles

Spyderhawk or Tasman

Post by Buckles »

So im in the market for a new H1 folder. I recently bought a boker subclaw and it has pretty much gotten me hooked on the hawkbill. So why not combine the two and get either a spyderhaw or a tasman. The only problem is choosing between the two and whether to go plain edge or serrated. I currently have an atlantic salt SE so im kind of leaning towards the plain edge with this purchase.

Those of yall that have either one, or both, what do you like/dislike about them?

This knife will pretty much be a work knife for doing chores around the house and in the yard. I find it nice to have to rush off and wash my blades after working with them, thus the H1 choice.

so what are yall opinions?
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I have both, in both edges. Which one to get depends on what KIND of yardwork and/or chores you mean.

The Tasman is a good size for all around work, but if you need something bigger, then the Spyderhawk is the way to go. Edge type is also dictated by what kind of work you will be doing. Plain edge is great for general purpose use, but if you are doing a lot of pruning/clearing, the serrated edge is really the better of the two for that.

I would suggest one of each, as well as one of each blade type. Say a Spyderhawk SE and a Tasman PE (which, just happens to be my two EDC knives), or vice versa. Or you could just forget about making the decision and get all four like I did!
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You have both an Endura and a Delica, which do you prefer? The Spyderhawk uses the same handle as the Pacific Salt and the Endura III, the Tasman uses the same handle as the Salt I and Delica III. So there's a fair chance you preference will carry over.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bohica1998 wrote:I have both, in both edges. Which one to get depends on what KIND of yardwork and/or chores you mean.

The Tasman is a good size for all around work, but if you need something bigger, then the Spyderhawk is the way to go. Edge type is also dictated by what kind of work you will be doing. Plain edge is great for general purpose use, but if you are doing a lot of pruning/clearing, the serrated edge is really the better of the two for that.

I would suggest one of each, as well as one of each blade type. Say a Spyderhawk SE and a Tasman PE (which, just happens to be my two EDC knives), or vice versa. Or you could just forget about making the decision and get all four like I did!
+1! that is exactly what I did and I agree 100%. over all, for my tasks I do like the pe Tasman best but all 4 see regular use.

Ken
玉鋼
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Here is a helpful link. http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 592&page=2

Some good comparison shots as well.
Come Join Us Click Here
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

I would recommend either in se. Hawks just cut so much better the teeth. The part about yardwork also make me lean towards the spyderhawk over the tasman. It is pretty big though. Good luck!
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

these are two great knives. choosing between them would be hard for me.

the tasman salt is a lot more sheeple friendly. sometimes people freak when i deploy a spyderhawk. also the tasman takes a lot less pocket space.

i prefer the marine yellow handles as it makes finding a knife dropped in the woods a lot easier to find.

for yard work s.e. is pretty hard to beat and you can sharpen it if you are patient. i have s.e and p.e. knives and honestly like them both. h1 is pretty cool stuff.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

thanks for all the info guys. i ended up ordered a se yellow tasman last night. i figure since i already have the bigger atlantic, the smaller tasman would probably be a better choice.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager