Ultrafine ceramic triangle stone, how to clean ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elsworth

Ultrafine ceramic triangle stone, how to clean ?

Post by elsworth »

How do you clean the Ultrafine honing stone for the Triangle Sharpmaker kit ?
I was uncertain to use abrasive cleanzer, like Comet, as I use on the other triangle stones, or not. I goof up so many things in the past. I thought I would try using my head this time.

Thank you,
Elsworth

P.S. The ultrafine stone made a good difference in my edges achieved on the Sharpmaker. I'm glad I bought it.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I clean mine with a green scrubbie and some dish soap. Ceramic is pretty darn hard so you'll not destroy it easily.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

elsworth wrote:How do you clean the Ultrafine honing stone for the Triangle Sharpmaker kit ?
I was uncertain to use abrasive cleanzer, like Comet, as I use on the other triangle stones, or not. I goof up so many things in the past. I thought I would try using my head this time.

Thank you,
Elsworth

P.S. The ultrafine stone made a good difference in my edges achieved on the Sharpmaker. I'm glad I bought it.
Yeah... I like 'm too. I still strop, but the U/F stones do a great job at finishing an edge after sharpening. I use my strop now almost daily so I can avoid doing any serious sharpening on m EDCs.

I use Bon Ami and a green kitchen scrub pad to clean all my ceramics. I like Bon Ami because it doesn't have any bleach or other chemicals that are unfriendly to my skin or my septic tank.

I also clean them after each use, usually. That keeps me from having to do any heavy scrubbing and it keeps the stones' bite more consistent because I always start with clean stones.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The Sharpmaker DVD shows Sal recommending abrasive cleaners (ie. Comet and Bar Keeper's Friend) to clean your ceramic stones. I use those two brands with a no-scratch scouring pad and have had fine results.

The pads look like this.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I haven't tried it yet, but some say a rubber eraser works.
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

I have used the comet (same as Sal in the video) which works. I have also use GoJo (a hand cleaner a lot of mechanics use (it has small gritty particles in it).

I've also tried using VIM (which has a micro abrasive in it) and it works well.
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
cckw

Post by cckw »

comet and my finger tips
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

powdered household cleaner or a Lansky eraser block
cr123

mr. clean magic eraser

Post by cr123 »

hi:
i've cleaned up the UF stones pretty nicely with Mr Clean's magic eraser. i cut a small piece (the size of bubble yum bubble gum piece) and go to town. the magic eraser also cleans up G10 too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

2cha wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but some say a rubber eraser works.
Indeed, this is how I do. An ordinary pencil eraser cleans the stones fast and efficient.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
elsworth

Post by elsworth »

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

I'm a Bon Ami guy too ! :)