Best Torx Driver? (Problem with stripping screws)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AliasNeo07

Best Torx Driver? (Problem with stripping screws)

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Hello all!
1st post. Been lurking here a while, guess its time I posted.

I have a problem thats been driving me CRAZY. I ordered benchmades blue box hex driver set in case i ever needed to do anything to my spydies. My EDC is currently either a FFG Endura 4 or FFG Delica 3. On both of these, the pocket clip became loose after a couple months of carry. No problem, figured I'd tighten it up. I did not use much pressure at ALL but managed to strip one screw on each knife.

Is there a particular driver that you guys like? I'm going to order a parts kit and can probably remove the stripped screw with needle nose pliers if im lucky, but I don't want to do this again.

Thanks!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

AliasNeo07 wrote:I did not use much pressure at ALL but managed to strip one screw on each knife.
I have better luck using more downward pressure while turning the screw. I hope to see larger screws (Manix 2) on the new models being produced.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I find that my torx screws won't strip as easily if I apply moderate pressure inward before turning.
Waco

Post by Waco »

I believe mine are Craftsman and I've had no problems when I disassemble my Endura or just tighten the screws. You could try some Loctite if the screws keep working loose.
THG

Post by THG »

AliasNeo07 wrote:Is there a particular driver that you guys like? I'm going to order a parts kit and can probably remove the stripped screw with needle nose pliers if im lucky, but I don't want to do this again.

Thanks!
I'm looking for a new driver as well. I had a BM Bluebox, but the bits twist too easily. I have a Husky $5 set, and its bits twist less, but they're a bit small (not perfectly fitted for T-6 or T-8, for example), so they end up stripping screws, too.

For the clip screws, you can use needle nose pliers, as you said you would do. I did this to my Stretch.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I use a set made by Jensen Tools and haven't had any problems with stripped screws with any of the sizes.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

I use Bobalt 8-in-1 precision torx screwdriver from Lowe's, suggested by another thread (here or bladeforum, don't remember which one). It worked fine on my Tenacious for changing the pocket clip. And just like some other Tenacious owners, I stripped a screw because T6 is too loose a fit. I solved this by using T8 on the stripped screw and applied a lot of downward pressure. The T8 size is actually too large for that screw, but with pressure, it was able to catch on the screw very shallowly and turn it.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
mkd

Post by mkd »

i use the husky torx set from home depot.it's a bit driver with three or four interchangeable bits that have different sizes on both ends.seems there's a size for every spydie and benchmade i have so far.all the extra bits store in the handle and it was about $8.00 or so.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I had problems with my set of small drivers but my neighbour had a much bigger, angled driver and that turned the screws like a dream. I also used the downward pressure technique by resting the knife against a mouse-mat first and then pushing down. But it's true that you need to check the size of the Torx and make sure you're using the biggest that will fit, so there's no chance of it slipping. On some of mine a T6 will do the job but actually a T8 with a bit of pressure will slot in tighter :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Metric

Post by Metric »

I just bought an $8 driver set from K-mart, and just used it to disassemble my Tenacious. T8 probably would have worked, but T9 fit better. :)
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Lol didn't know there was more than one size that fit the things. I guess I'll buy a better set and try a T8 or something.

Thanks!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I believe the problem with the Tenacious might be poor quality of screws. I find screw quality to be one of the biggest problems with chinese knives. Better than most on the Tenacious but I think that the bits aren't the only issue with some knives.

I've used the Husky set with no problems, but if you want the best go with Wiha.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Home Depot's Husky and Lowes' Kobalt sets work well for most folks. If you want top of the line, invest in Wiha.

I've moved and removed a lot of clips with my Husky set with no problems. FWIW, when re-installing a clip or reassembling a knife, I normally use the appropriate bits without the handle. It reduces the chances of over tightening miniature screws.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

mkd wrote:i use the husky torx set from home depot.it's a bit driver with three or four interchangeable bits that have different sizes on both ends.seems there's a size for every spydie and benchmade i have so far.all the extra bits store in the handle and it was about $8.00 or so.
I have this one and have had no issues. The only "screw" I hate to try and work is the single large one on clips like the Tasman Salt.
1. Endura Black G2 SE, 2. Endura4 VG-10 SE, 3. Endura4 ZDP SE, 4. Caly3 ZDP PE, 5. Manix2 154CM CE, 6. Manix2 HXP FFG PE, 7. Delica ZDP SE, 8. Tasman Salt SE, 9. Ladybug VG-10 SE, 10. Byrd Crossbill, 11. Military S30V CE, 12. Blue Rescue 93mm FRN, 13. Grey Delica VG-10 FFG, 14. Blue Endura4 VG-10 FFG!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Ed Schempp

Wiha Tools

Post by Ed Schempp »

I like the designated Wiha screw drivers, the bits have not worked as well for me....Take Care...Ed
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I also like the Wiha. Here's a link for reference purposes to the set I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75990-40-Pie ... 91&sr=1-32
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Also see this recent thread for many opinions:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43576
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I have a set of Wiha torx drivers, no problems whatsoever
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I've done the same thing stripping the screws on both my Cricket and D4. I figured out that if you strip them bad enough an Allen bit will fit perfectly.