Sal Glesser attacked by a giant rat!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Sal Glesser attacked by a giant rat!

Post by Jim Malone »

I just saw this picture on another forum.
It seems Sal was attacked by a giant rat on the IWA show in Germany.
Is everything OK with Sal?
Did he suffer from post traumatic stress?

It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Dale Gribble

Post by Dale Gribble »

What is IWA?
Also, i never saw a picture of him upclose. Like is face and such. Only, say like, standing in the for ground posing with someone at some show.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

That's a cool picture! I thought this thread would be a serious one about a mountain lion, glad it's not....

IWA is the knife show in Nuremburg, Germany.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Cool pic,and I want one of those pins that Sal has on his collar.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Why a rat and not a Spyder?...
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Love that picture :p
I want that pin on his collar!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I have often thought that Spyderco could make much more of their merchandising - pin badges, car window stickers (the non-sticky type), pens, simpler/cheap sleeves for knives etc.

I'd certainly pay a few more dollars for a light fabric sleeve with the Spyderco logo - something with a tie-string. I keep my boxes but I don't store any knives in them - I have them out on EDC or in a drawer near me. To stop them being scratched I put them in little poly-bags but I'd prefer something porous and water-absorbing. :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

I have often thought that Spyderco could make much more of their merchandising - pin badges, car window stickers (the non-sticky type), pens, simpler/cheap sleeves for knives etc.
This

More ancillary merchandise please! Bring back the God's Creatures T-Shirt and some regular :spyder: caps. I don't even drink coffee but I would buy a :spyder: coffee mug. All of fine quality, naturally.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

The title was promising,the content,not so much. Anyway the 1st thing that crossed my mind was, if Sal was attacked by a critter (a rat or what ever) with what knife would he be defending,what is his most favourite edc? If this question was already asked then I apologise.
thewannabesurvivalist
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Brisket wrote:This

More ancillary merchandise please! Bring back the God's Creatures T-Shirt and some regular :spyder: caps. I don't even drink coffee but I would buy a :spyder: coffee mug. All of fine quality, naturally.
Yeah the T-Shirt selection is sub-par right now. I like the steel junkies one but there has to be a normal spyderco one. I would pay for more merch
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

It's a great photo. Sal is THE man! My favorite knife dude making my favorite knives! Excellent!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I would consider a shirt if it was priced reasonably. I don't know how the steel shirt is priced but most branded shirts are something like 15-20 dollars, way too much for me.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

v8r wrote:Cool pic,and I want one of those pins that Sal has on his collar.
Then expect to pay :)

I have one, which i got as a gift, but the only 2 i've seen for sale has cost the same as a whole carton of Delica's...
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

I'm guessing the guy on the left is from RAT Cutlery? :D
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

ChrisR wrote:I have often thought that Spyderco could make much more of their merchandising - pin badges, car window stickers (the non-sticky type), pens, simpler/cheap sleeves for knives etc.
Count me in for more/different shirts, window stickers, tie tacks, money clips, belt buckles, athletic supporters, shoe laces,ball caps etc...

Around here, most graphic tees (including brand-sponsored ones) run about 20 dollars, which is the same as the :spyder: steel shirt (one of my faves). I'd gladly pay that again for a different design or color. Oh, and I'd love a non-military looking hat with the Spyderco logo on it, too. :D
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Nice Pic.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Metals of war

Post by Metals of war »

Cool
I dream the dream of steel and blade. Now I'm dreaming it awake too.

“Temptation is like a knife, that may either cut the meat or the throat of a man; it may be his food or his poison, his exercise or his destruction”

(John Owen)

My latest :spyder:'s

Meerkat sprint C64JPBG
Bushcraft Second
Lum Chinese C65FGPBK
Delica FFG C11FPBL
Endura FFG C10FPBL
Delica zdp-189 C11SGRE
Manix 2 FFG Sprint C101GPBL2
Military Titanium C36TI
Caly3 CF zdp-189 C113CF
Manix 2 Pink C101GPPN2
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Wow, all of this from one pic! First the gold "bug" pin on Sal's collar is only given to those who have worked for Spyderco for one year. It is a gift for one's first anniversary. We all wear them at shows and many people wear theirs every day.

As for the other requests... We're open to doing accessory branded items, but (yes, there's always a rub) doing so takes our focus away from what we're really about, the knives. As with all things Spyderco, we won't put our name on just anything. We research, we test (even t-shirts, bags and coffee mugs), we deliberate... it's a lengthy process that would surprise most people.

With 40 people, the knives alone keep us pretty busy. ;)

We of course want to hear about what you like (and what you don't like). So, know that we are listening. Thanx much!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

That doesn't look like a rat attack to me, just normal behavior. I've had pet rats on and off for years. They love to perch on your shoulder and hang out. Even if they're just a plushie and not the real thing. (If you're a girl, they also like to cuddle in cleavage. Rats are very smart critters. :D ).
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
tac

Post by tac »

I'd prefer the Spyderfolks continue to keep their focus on producing more great knives. I can do without the t-shirts, ballcaps and trinkets.
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...