Who buys spydies exclusively

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jlamb

Who buys spydies exclusively

Post by jlamb »

Or almost exclusively. I have a few other brands sitting around in a drawer in the basement from years past. But, since I have really gotten into knives, I dont buy much else at all. I know that personally speaking, I like to stick with certain brands-- I feel that I can learn all about it and the lineup.
It gives familiarity. Not that it doesnt change through our lives, but there is something to be said about aligning yourself with something. I have done this with other hobbies- specialized bicycles, Liquidlogic kayaks, Stihl chainsaws. Anyway, I know that we are just numbers on spyderco's spreadsheets, but it is still nice to have some affinity.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i do, i have a HI Khukuri and a few SAK knives and 200+ :spyder: s
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I do. I bought an ESEE Izula, and the rest of my knives are Spydercos.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I still buy the occasional Cold Steel, CRKT, Boker, Kabar, etc., but in the last 6 months it's been about 95% Spyderco. Come to think of it, most of my recent other brand knives have been thrown onto orders to meet free shipping thresholds!
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Darn near. :D I do have some knives from before I started collecting Spydercos, some Bokers my buddy Chad has given me as gifts, and a few other knives received as gifts. I've also purchased a few - a CRK LH Mnandi, an A. T. Barr LH One Eyed Jack, an Ed Schempp custom Mini Persian prototype, a little Arno Bernard fixed blade, and a couple Berettas (for obvious reasons) :o But well over 90% of my purchases have been Spydercos.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I sometimes buy a Cold Steel here and there. I have a few, but I've sold most of them.

I own an Al Mar just because its so classy, but otherwise Spyderco gets all my money and attention. I'm thinking of exclusively sticking to Spydercos though after picking up another Al Mar just because I've been eyeing the model quite a while.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I don't think I've purchased any non-Spydies for at least a year. Have a few Kershaw and CRKT from a few years ago.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

jlamb wrote: Anyway, I know that we are just numbers on spyderco's spreadsheets, but it is still nice to have some affinity.
I could be wrong, but I really doubt we're just numbers on spreadsheets. Yes, Spyderco has a business to run, but Sal and crew started the forums and participate regularly here, issue sprint runs and projects like the mule team knives, listen to consumer feedback, and generally have some some stellar approaches to knife design and management.

All of these nifty things, seeing Sal and everyone here interact and even help out fellow forumites at times, led me to choose Spyderco as my company of choice for knives. Since I got bit by the Spyderco bug, I've only come into possession of two non-Spyderco knives, both of which were gifts.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

That's me... :) Haven't bought anything but Syderco since I discovered them about a year and a half ago. I have a couple of Gerbers, victorinox, and my one little fox folder. I am thinking about a couple of Opinels to play with the edges.... No other brand fired me up about knives the way Syderco did. :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

About the only one-handed opening knives I buy are Spyderco, but there's also traditional slipjoints and fixed blades and SAKs and other good stuff.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Me, with the occasional exception like those already mentioned by others.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Once I made up my mind, sold or traded other stuff. Only recent non spydie was a SAK. Also need to replace my awol Leatherman Crunch--purchased some Kershaw and global kitchen knives around holidays. But outside of special purpose, and maybe full custom if I ever have the money again, it's all spydies for me. :spyder: :D

I kept my Fallknivens, Doziers, 1 CRK and 1 Strider.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Its pretty much all Spydies for me. Just a few Bokers, Kershaws, SAKs and Moras floating around to mix things up a tad.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Post by 5.56 »

Not me. I own many brands.

I'm going to put my flame suit on and say Benchmade.

Here's my reasons. I'm addicted to the round hole opener and as everyone knows I have a preference for USA built knives. Spyderco's Golden model offerings are miniscule compared to their foreign offerings. Benchmade recently discontinued their Red Class(China) models and are now making almost everything in the US.

For example recently, Spyderco released the PPT, Benchmade released the Bone Collector. Both great knives, but since the Bone Collector is USA made and the PPT is Taiwan made, my decision was easy.

Also, the BC has D2 steel, G-10, Axis Lock, round hole opening, Made in the USA, and it's still less expensive than the PPT retail. And the quality on this knife is superb.

It is possible to make knives in the USA with quality materials and still be affordable. I just wish Spyderco would follow Benchmade's lead and go predominantly US made.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Most of my knives are from Spyderco. I have, though, gained an appreciation over the years for other outstanding brands, such as Chris Reeve Knives, Strider, Emerson, Al Mar, and Boker. My Buck 110 Folding Hunter still remains my all-time favorite along with an Imperial Boy Scouts pocket knife and a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.
angusW

Post by angusW »

The only non Spyderco's I buy are Leatherman and SOG multi-tools.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Spyderco only for me.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I only buy Spydies now, but I have a few BM's that I used before I had any sense. I don't know how to sell them, so there they sit (no, I'm not trying to sell anything here, so don't ask). I still like my SAK's and always use my Leatherman Multitools. Spyderco Clipits just make sense.

- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

As of now I own about 70 :spyder: and one SAK, which is about eleven years old.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kawr

Post by kawr »

5.56 wrote:Not me. I own many brands.

I'm going to put my flame suit on and say Benchmade.

Here's my reasons. I'm addicted to the round hole opener and as everyone knows I have a preference for USA built knives. Spyderco's Golden model offerings are miniscule compared to their foreign offerings. Benchmade recently discontinued their Red Class(China) models and are now making almost everything in the US.

For example recently, Spyderco released the PPT, Benchmade released the Bone Collector. Both great knives, but since the Bone Collector is USA made and the PPT is Taiwan made, my decision was easy.

Also, the BC has D2 steel, G-10, Axis Lock, round hole opening, Made in the USA, and it's still less expensive than the PPT retail. And the quality on this knife is superb.

It is possible to make knives in the USA with quality materials and still be affordable. I just wish Spyderco would follow Benchmade's lead and go predominantly US made.
To me it seems like Benchmade offers higher prices with lesser quality materials on alot of their knives when compared to the equivalent knives of Spyderco. Not to mention the generic designs they keep making (few exceptions). It's up to the makers to provide high quality + value and that should be the ONLY factor when it comes to the consumer.

That being said my only non Spyderco model that I own is a BM Mini Dejavoo I bought from a friend for 30 bucks who thought it was a complete POS. Liner lock on it is worse than the liner lock on a 15 dollar walmart beater. I'll continue to buy 99% Spydies, love the ergos and style.