Who buys spydies exclusively

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im pretty much exclusively Spyderco. I like the designs, materials and company culture/philospy. I dont have time or money to be exploring other brands. Having said that, Im open to a nice custom blade or specialty functions like my whittlers. I have to admit I do have Benchmade AFCK - one of the early good ones with Spyderhole - my first liner lock. I didnt know it was Spydie trademark at the time. Nice knife, but I managed to bend the tip a bit, so it is just a beater now - never EDC.

Im pretty well commited to Spyderco.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I was going to buy a ZT on KF but the seller backed out so I'm back to spydies. :)
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

Spyderco makes incredible knives but you're really missing out if you only buy Spyderco. Kershaw/ZT especially looks to be on fire this year with some of their upcoming designs.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

When it comes to folders, yes. But for fixed blades I like Himalayan Imports, Becker and ESEE.
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

As with most here my knife collecting started with Spyderco and is mostly Spydies. Although I do own 4 BM (2 lum Dajavoo's), 1 Kershaw w/ broken speed assist feature, and 1 Leatherman knife. :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Just about all of mine are spydies as well, I have a few old junk knives that I got before I really got into knives. But since I have been collecting I have near 30 spyders, 1 strider and 1 hinderer.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
cmassicotte

Wait a minute! You mean Spyderco

Post by cmassicotte »

isn't the only knifemaker out there?

Well, ok, I actually did know that there are some other knife makers.

But Spyderco is the best!!

Chuck
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not close minded and want to try others. The problem is most non-spydies don't impress me much for that $25-60 range. Heck, that's like Tenacious to FFG Delica money!!

Once I bought a few non-mentionables in a shipment adding to $70 and realized I could have bought a FRN Stretch. Adding insult to injury the knives weren't as good as people praised on YouTube reviews. I felt sick :(

yea...I'm pretty loyal now. I might get a Sebbie someday or something custom. I might get more CLB Bokers (because I adore the designs). No more gambling tho.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Mostly Spydercos these days. I have a Buck/Strider 889, an old Buck 184, Boker Subcom, Boker Hyper, and a bunch of older knives still though. I want a Strider SnG sometime in the future, but other than those, I'm pretty much buying only Spydercos. I'm only up to 49 of them so far.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I used to buy Kershaw & Buck assisted-openers but it's become more and more difficult to import locking knives to the UK and my knife budget is a bit tight so I have concentrated recently on EDC-able knives - particularly Spydercos :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
acer

Yes I agree with Jlamb OP.

Post by acer »

Always had an intrest in knives. Been more heavily involved in the knife bug over the past 2 years. Spent more than I should have, tried many makes styles from lower end to higher end but remaining in the production knife field. Always a risk on fit and finish and most importantly sharpness . After all a blunt knife is as much use as a chocolate tea pot. SPYDERCO KNIVES have in my humble opinion (I have about 12 at present )always delivered the goods,and I have never been concerned about buying a spyderco product. I do have a few other brands of knife but only as beater knives ie mora, kabar, victorinox. Intrested in the stihl chainsaw collection ? I have an 020t and 026 as I have an intrest in arboriculture. So yes after a learning curve I have settled and feel happy that spyderco is my no 1 brand of knife and look forward to future spyderco offerings. I am sure this will result in my small present collection increasing in size. By the way its only 2 spyderco knives to my girlfriend not 12. cheers
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I buy what i like best. That ended up being about 40 Spydercos in the last year or so. There were also 4 BM, 3 CS, a Leatherman, and a Gerber auto I aquired.

I agree with everyone here that I buy a disproportionate amount of Spydercos. Being that this IS the Spyderco forum, I wouldnt expect much else here. I think Spyderco does the best job of listening to what its ELUs want and most of the time giving it to them. Great examples of this are the Mule team, pending Persian sprint, RIL Millie and Superleaf.

Finally, only a small patriotic part of me does wish more Spydies were made in the USA, but I cant fault global economics. At least the foreign made spyders are top notch quality. Id rather have that than USA made crap (it happens occasionally). As someone said on here before, all countries are capable of making both trash and treasures.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I do for the most part. I don't have much of a 'collection' nowadays, but the last 3 knives I have acquired have been Spyderco. All hail the :spyder:
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I actually don't even own a Spyderco knife these days. I buy and sell knives quite frequently and as such they come and go. My EDC right now is a BM minigrip with Wilkins scales on it. It's my first BM product and I have to admit that it's pretty nice, of course the Wilkins scales help a lot. I'm actually looking at getting a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan here in the next little while, that will pretty much use up my knife buying money for a while.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
arjung

Post by arjung »

I don't buy only Spydies. Right now I'm on a Spydie phase, and all 3 I have purchased were excellent. There are a few more I need to get (Sage 2, Military, and possibly Stretch 2) but I appreciate products from many manufacturers. Variety is the spice of life.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

My collection is dominated by Spyderco :D
That said I do have 1 Benchmade, 1 Cold Steel, 1 Gerber, and 1 Kershaw.
I also own 3 Striders. Other than those listed My 20 Spydies outnumber my other brands 2.85 to 1 ;)
Vic
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Spyderco, Spyderco, Spyderco! Plus some SAKs and various multi-tools.

While a foolish consistency may be the hobgoblin of little minds, there is absolutely nothing foolish about Spyderco!

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
spyderfly

Yes exclusively spyderco here

Post by spyderfly »

:for the last 3 years only spyderco,s added to my collection :eek: I am now at 175 :spyder: and counting.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Pretty much the only brand of folding knife I'll buy.

I have a couple of exceptions since I like the VIC Classic, and I'll have to get ESEE's upcoming folder.

Fixed blades I have a few brands besides Spyderco that I like.
stonetone

Post by stonetone »

Not exclusively, but definitely predominately.

For locking folders, I have two Kershaws, two Benchmades and seven Spydies.

For slipits, I've got a 25-year-old SAK and a few CV Case folders.

For fixed blades, I've got a few Swamp Rats, one small, two not so small.

With the exception of the slipits, all were obtained in about a year's time. I think there might be a wee problem with mission control...
:spyder: C124GPFG/C101GP2/C11PGRE/
MT04P/C88PBK/C81FGD2P/C90PBK/
C36GPOR/C64JPBG :spyder: