What makes a good SD knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jlamb

What makes a good SD knife

Post by jlamb »

I am not very informed about using knives for self defense. What are some characteristics of a knife that is built for self defense?? I have a pe Dallara with bbl and I would think that is good due to the ball bearing lock, plain edge, stout handle. Am I correct in my thinking?? What other spydies are good for sd??
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

A good place to start is read Mike Janich's book.........STREET STEEL. it covers spyderco as well as other brands. the differences in locks , where to carry, and how to open. choosing a knife for just SD is an important decision. as far as using the knife there are many books and videos that can be studyed. again Mike has that covered too. and always check your local laws with regard to the knife you choose. my SD knives are the millie, endura, endura wave, or what ever i can grab if needed. hope this helps.
unit

Post by unit »

Training is the most important thing you can bring to a SD situation.

A knife is a tool and careful selection is important, but realize that a good knife that you use all the time is usually going to be the best SD knife simply because you will actually carry it and be familiar with how to get to it without thinking.

For example, The Civilian is a great SD tool designed for use by those with limited training, but I would bet many people that buy one for SD rarely carry it...making it not as effective as the knife they DO carry.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No offense, but I think you're looking at this backwards. If you know nothing about using a knife for self defense, then no knife can compensate for that. All you will gain is false confidence which is more likely to get you killed than to save your skin. On the other hand, if you've take the time to learn how to defend yourself with a knife, you'll have a pretty good idea of which knives will best compliment your training.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

Deacon summed it up pretty well.

First, you have to admit you have the physical ability to cut or stab a living creature if needed. And expect to be cut or stabbed yourself. Knifework isnt just waving blades, its butchery. Think about that, browse internet for possible results of knife engagements, see this pictures.

Second, if you decide you can do the above, then look for proper training. Look for known professionals with quality reputation. No 'dark' experts that have read 1 or 2 books and seen a video workshop.
Shivworks, Keating, and especially spyderco`s very own Michael Janich, if you are a US resident.
Once you learn how to operate in this area, you can choose a good knife for selfdefense.

I say any knife is a good weapon IF one knows how to use it, just some are more suitable than the others.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I hate doing this but you should use the search feature on this one. We get a few threads a month on it. People like Michael Kanich, Dr Snubnose, KaliGMan, Southnarc and others even contribute.

The simple answer though: legal to carry, secure handle, decent blade (usually over 2"), and one you have on you at all times.

Goodluck.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

The Deacon wrote:No offense, but I think you're looking at this backwards. If you know nothing about using a knife for self defense, then no knife can compensate for that. All you will gain is false confidence which is more likely to get you killed than to save your skin. On the other hand, if you've take the time to learn how to defend yourself with a knife, you'll have a pretty good idea of which knives will best compliment your training.
Well Deacon I don't agree that if you have a knife and don't know how to use it will land you in sh!t. The element of surprise sometimes is just enough to get you out ,for instants, when we were camping with 2 buddies(we were wasted,like 1L Vodka each)so these two guys came up and I'm freaked ,the two others are laughing and drunked out, it would have been a clear mugging scene that time ,but I pull out my mtech karambit (ya i carry mtech too,there pretty decent) and those two guys just got spooked, guess some people like there blood inside there body :D well if there not prepared just pulling out a knife might do it. As for what knives to get, an endura or tenacious both can be modded for fast deployment with zip ties or just a waved endura,the faster you can deploy the knife in a panic situation the better chance of survival. Um,and if you are thinking of training Imho the best are kali and krav maga knife techniques.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I'm with Blerv, there have been some very informative threads on this topic. Along w/ using the topic search feature, I'd recommend looking at the profiles and post histories of the above mentioned forumites (done by clicking on their names and then then on the button marked "statistics" and then "all posts")

That said, I like having a knife that is ambidextrous in nature, is not so large or small that I'd never carry it, is not named "widowmaker" or "pimp-slicer", and is within legal limits of carry. I also like the model to have a blunted trainer drone for safe practice.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

It has to be something your comfortable carrying all the time. That's its #1 requirement.

For example, The Chinook is a great SD blade in all regards, but I would personally never carry such a heavy, chunky folder, so it would therefore be poor SD blade for me.

Once you have a knife that you are comfortable carrying all the time, keep it shaving sharp, and get some training. I took a class with MJ and it was mind blowing.
jlamb

Post by jlamb »

Thanks for the input, I guess that I am not really interested in learning self defense with a knife as much as I am curious as to what the knife fighting experts look for in a knife. I just assumed there were certain features that are sought after. For instance, I read on here that Mr. Janich prefers tip up carry so he does not have to make an extra movement.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

Quite honestly, the fact that it's on your person and your ability to use it are the two most important attributes. Geometry, length, shape, etc all play a very small part when compared to the above.
kawr

Post by kawr »

SlideTechnik wrote:Quite honestly, the fact that it's on your person and your ability to use it are the two most important attributes. Geometry, length, shape, etc all play a very small part when compared to the above.
I disagree, most people aren't going to be well versed in knife combat so wouldn't you want every advantage you can get in regards with blade geometry, length, shape, etc. I do agree though that #1 factor of a good SD knife is one that can be carried as an edc or its pointless. Anyway MJ has gone over this already and has given some Spyderco knives that fit the bill well and are solid edc options as well like Delica, Endura, Sage 2 etc.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

If it's a folder I am considering for SD, it must have a MBC rated lock. Must be comfortable in hand, and I must have the ability to rapidily change grip positions with it. Finger Divots in the handle (ie, Yojimbo, Lil Temp) are a plus. If it's a fixed blade I'm considering for SD, Then it must have a deep finger choil to prevent my hand from slipping forwards ono the blade on fast hard thrusts. It must come with a very positive lock up in the sheath, I prefer Kydex or the like with double sided reinforced holes to affix paracord for belt carry. The knife should be a lenght that I can reach the major organs in the human body, and both the folders and fixed blade have to be really sharp and hold an edge for superior cutting through various mediums. I try and stay away from any knife that has a skeltonized handle, because when blood pours onto the handle they are very hard to hold on to. I like micarta handles because when they get wet, they have a tendency to get more grippy to the hand. I stay away from the american tanto style, sheepsfoot and spearpoint shapes for SD
and prefer wharncliffes, recurves, kiridashis, and hawkbills (as long as the curve is minimal). Of course, as so many have already mentioned, training is a must, without it, you would be better served by some other tool, for self-defense, like a tactical pen, baton, stick, cane or kubaton....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

As always Doc, a very well written and to the point post.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:......... I stay away from the american tanto style, sheepsfoot and spearpoint shapes for SD
and prefer wharncliffes, recurves, kiridashis, and hawkbills
Spearpoints, I am surprised, it seem many spear point and leaf shaped blades did well in your meat test.. Care to expand a little more....thanks
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

The person carrying it.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dd61999 wrote:Spearpoints, I am surprised, it seem many spear point and leaf shaped blades did well in your meat test.. Care to expand a little more....thanks
I am attracted to spearpoint designs, but many have shallow grinds and don't cut deep like the other designs...even in a fixed blade the double edge dagger is not the best cutter, but I love the look anyway, and the advantage of different types of techniques, I don't have a problem with leaf shaped blades,,,just not my preference.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I am attracted to spearpoint designs, but many have shallow grinds and don't cut deep like the other designs...even in a fixed blade the double edge dagger is not the best cutter, but I love the look anyway, and the advantage of different types of techniques, I don't have a problem with leaf shaped blades,,,just not my preference.....Doc :D

Thanks for the response

So you are saying is referring to spear points like a cold steel ti-lite. but what about a knife with a ffg like a caly3?
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

The Deacon wrote:No offense, but I think you're looking at this backwards. If you know nothing about using a knife for self defense, then no knife can compensate for that. All you will gain is false confidence which is more likely to get you killed than to save your skin. On the other hand, if you've take the time to learn how to defend yourself with a knife, you'll have a pretty good idea of which knives will best compliment your training.
As a former Marine (former active duty) trained in hand to hand and basic knife defense and offense, I agree. The knife would be my LAST option. I'd want a gun or even my hands/feet first. Preferably, I'd have a baseball bat, long club or something similar that would put distance between myself and a potential attacker. To get into close enough range to use a knife is too close for comfort in my opinion. Not that defending ones' life is a 'comfortable' situation.

THAT said, I'd prefer a fixed blade with at least a 6'' blade. Although vitals can be hit with a 2'' blade, 6'' is best. If I had to rely on a folder, I'd want something with a proven lock back design such as one made by Spyderco, or something with a compression lock or frame lock. Liner would be my last choice.

Not to mention, from a legal perspective, you'd likely have a much easier time with an attorney proving ''self defense'' with a hand gun which you had a carry permit for vs. if you defended yourself with a ''tactical knife'' as a prosecutor would be likely to describe most of the popular knives available.
JD Spydo

A Big Bad Blade: Something to be said for

Post by JD Spydo »

Well just recently I found out first hand that there is a lot to be said for a big tactical blade. The one I used in a very bad situation was a Cold Steel Carbon V Gurkha Kukri knife/machete. And I truly believe it saved my life.

Now with folders I think Spyderco has some of the very best. Two of them that immediately come to mind that I personally love are the C-60 Massad Ayoob model and the C-36 Military model.

Spyderco has so many great full sized blades that would do the trick so it really depends on what suits you the best from an individual standpoint.

I also deeply respect the opinions of Michael Janich, Laci Szabo and our own Sal Glesser with those 2 brilliant Temperance models.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!