Looking for a good Fathers Day knife for my Dad

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Splice

Looking for a good Fathers Day knife for my Dad

Post by Splice »

Almost every fathers day I'm at a loss as to what to get my dad. Usually I end up getting him itunes gift cards or something else disposable. This year I want to get him something useful that is the very opposite of disposable: a knife.

My sister is going half in with me, and we're planning on spending about $100, give or take. He's an audiologist (ear doctor) and wears black dress pants at work, so I need to take into account visibility of the knife. If he was to just leave it at home I don't think it would see a great deal of use. So one of the things I'm looking for in said knife is low visibility. I'm also aiming for low-weight too. This seems to narrow it down a bit.

Right now I'm looking at:

Sage 1
Caly 3
UKPK Foliage Green
Dragonfly Foliage Green G10
Centofante 3
Cricket
Salt 1

I have and love the Sage 1, and I'm going to have him handle it a bit to see if he likes it.

I don't want a knife that requires a lot of maintenance, and I fear that while ZDP-189 holds an edge for a while, it can also corrode pretty easily and is quite hard to put an edge back on, so that kind of has me moving away from the Caly 3 (would LOVE to pick up a G10 version but those are pretty hard to find these days).

UKPK seems to be the best pick so far since it has the deep carry pocket clip, and he wouldn't have to learn how to use a lockback, plus S30V is an amazing steel.

Dragonfly would be nice too for similar reasons, however I'm wondering if in practice it would be too small.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Centofante 3, however the pocket clip isn't really deep-carry (however it is black)

Cricket seems pretty sweet too and I don't think he'd object to carrying it loose in the pocket or using it as a money clip, plus we could engrave the handle on the SS version, but it isn't really a gentleman's folder which is kind of the direction I'm heading in.

Salt 1 seems like a decent choice too since it's light and he wouldn't have to deal with maintenance as far as corrosion goes, and as I understand it's pretty easy to sharpen.

Any suggestions from the pros?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Was hoping to get my father a Kiwi SlipIt but that seems unlikely this year.. perhaps next year (then I'll have time to engrave it as well)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Chainlink

Post by Chainlink »

Does he carry a knife now? If so what size, and style?

If he doesn't currently carry I would try and go light in weight, under 3 ounces. Low maintenance and light...I suggest to many people start with a Delica.....no it doesn't have the flash some others do but it's fully ambi tip up or down. It lets a new knife carrier find what method they like in a bullet proof package that is legal just about anywhere. Plus at that price point you could add a Squirt PS4. Then he gets a EDC system started :P
kawr

Post by kawr »

Centofante seems like the ideal choice for you. Its a great performing knife, looks classy, very lightweight (under 2.5 oz I think) and compact.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Go for a Carbon Fiber Sage. Its low-carry, light-weight and looks really classy with the shiny scales. Right at your price-point!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I carry my Caly 3 in ZDP a lot and there is not a problem with this erceived corrosion factor. The lowriding wireclip is great in work pants as they almost disappear. Attached to the clip is arguably one of Spyderco's most ergonomically awesome EDC knives.

I would also consider the Salt I and Delica 4, but the main choice for me would be a Caly 3 in the CF/ ZDP as it looks great and won't eat up dress pants pockets :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I vote Sage 1 or Caly 3, either would be fine.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
2cha

Post by 2cha »

There are precisely three knives to choose from to give to a gentleman--none of which are on your list:

Kopa
Kiwi
Micro dyad

My guess is that he's just not going to get the tacticool factor, it's an acquired taste, so stay away from the FRN or G10--

Kopas are extraordinarily well made, and I think, quite beautiful.

Just do it.
ace

Go with the Dragon Fly

Post by ace »

I have the Dragonfly G-10 model and it has become almost an EDC. I am 95% sure that he would not want to carry something as big as a caly 3 or sage as a work day blade. He needs something that he will forget is in his pocket. I immediately took the wire clip off of mine--it is a small enough knife that is goes perfectly in the pocket and does not need a clip. Taking off clip eliminates half the thickness. I'd go with the more expensive g-10 foliage green Dragonfly as you say, because the clips on the others are not removable. As a doc, he will not want any portion of a knife seen above the pocket. Give him something to carry down IN the pocket.

Good luck!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

He Cento3 is great with black slacks. Black clip and handle. I occasionally wear one at my sbucks 2nd job :)

It's prob the least conspicuous in my opinion. You could also snag a smaller knife like the Spin or cricket. My dad carries (free pocket with lanyard) his spin religiously.
woof

Michael Walker

Post by woof »

this is my first post here. I have 6 spyderco knives, I have 3 more on my list, but I'm sure it will grow. I'm a father, my oldest is in his early 20s. I absolutely love my michael walker zdp/carbon fiber knife. I know it might be $20 or so above your range, but I would very much recommend to check out this knife. I have the delica, endura, native, kopa models, but have to say this one is my edc for a reason.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

To the OP:

If your dad is not a modern knife guy, he will probably be more comfortable carrying his gift loose in pocket rather than clipped. This is both traditional and more discreet. Before giving it to him I'd take off the clip and place it in a Ziploc bag along with the screws, all labeled on the bag.

I second the choice of a light knife not over 3" of blade length, mentioned by others.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Carbon fiber kiwi? Pretty cool non-clip knife :)
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Kiwi - this one customised by my friend Tonydahose :) :

Kopa:

Caly 3:
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

For clipped wear, I like the Caly 3, sage 1 and Kopa in that order.

For free pocket carry, I like the Delica (SS handle would be my choice, the SS handled versions have a hollow ground blade as opposed to the flat saber), UKPK (G-10 eats pockets) Kopa (in many different handle options and prices), or a dragonfly or cricket but only if he likes serrated blades on those smaller two.

Im assuming that your dad is in New Hampshire too. You should get him a Hossom Forager! LOL.
Splice

Post by Splice »

2cha wrote:There are precisely three knives to choose from to give to a gentleman--none of which are on your list:

Kopa
Kiwi
Micro dyad

My guess is that he's just not going to get the tacticool factor, it's an acquired taste, so stay away from the FRN or G10--

Kopas are extraordinarily well made, and I think, quite beautiful.

Just do it.
SLIGHTLY out of my price range, but they are all very nice. Hmm...
Splice

Post by Splice »

Scottie3000 wrote: Im assuming that your dad is in New Hampshire too. You should get him a Hossom Forager! LOL.
Yeah we're in NH. I almost feel like a slipit would be silly to get since there's virtually no problem with any knife legality here, but practically I think it might make more sense for him since he wouldn't have to figure out the locking mechanism (he's not extremely mechanically inclined- he put the door handle on the front door on backwards the other day lol)
Splice

Post by Splice »

woof wrote:this is my first post here. I have 6 spyderco knives, I have 3 more on my list, but I'm sure it will grow. I'm a father, my oldest is in his early 20s. I absolutely love my michael walker zdp/carbon fiber knife. I know it might be $20 or so above your range, but I would very much recommend to check out this knife. I have the delica, endura, native, kopa models, but have to say this one is my edc for a reason.
Michael Walker is on the table too. I like the size and weight, however I personally think it's kind of an ugly knife- doesn't curve and flow very nicely. Still, besides the clip it wouldn't be a bad choice at all.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I gave my dad a Dragonfly G-10 recently, and he's nuts about it. He uses it as his money clip now. However, if I had thought it through, I would have gone with the Kopa. The Dragonfly looks cool, but the Kopa is flat-out pretty. The Kiwi looks really cool, but the lack of a clip is a bummer.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Of your options, I would say the Cricket SE for in the pocket money clip duty or keychain duty. Then Caly3 if you can find one in your price range, and lastly the Centofante 3.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]