Questions for Michael Janich...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Mr. Walker what is your opinion of the Tasman SE hawkbill for CQB and the like? I realize your longstanding interest in the warrior blade, and the trapping/tearing ability using the serrations on the backside, of which the Tasman mimics on a small scale it seems.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Great question.

First, it is well designed and well made.

Second, the full serration makes up for the demure size of the blade itself.

In reverse grip, so the unique point feature (hawkbill), can best be taken advantage of (hooking into/penetrating) it is at its best for Offenive/defensive applications

In forward grip, as the hawkbill does not offer an inline or upswept point, one needs to learn how to snap-hook with the blade to gain best penetration then cut or slash.

For "scaling", or immoblizing the target (i.e. forearm) with one hand and dragging the sharpened edge down the length of the target (somewhat like what you see when you use a cheese grate) it is quite effective.

I like the multi-color grips (Yellow and such) as they mis-direct what you may be carrying the knife for primarily ("Oh, is that a fishing knife?" or "Oh, that's cute!".

Cute is good. :)
GW