What's your oldest Spydie still in use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ProfessorMartini

What's your oldest Spydie still in use?

Post by ProfessorMartini »

What's the oldest knife that still sees regular active duty?
And--
When do you retire a knife? IE, what has to happen for you to decide "this blade has seen its day?"
Good day to you all.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

CE Jess Horn lightweight still sees some use, although it has been supplanted by the ZDP Horn with Krein re-grind. Sometimes I even put my old SS, serrated worker in my pocket.
I have never had a Spydie wear out and need to be put out of its misery. I guess the "new and improved" models just catch my fancy and push the old ones aside.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As far as Spydies go, the C44 Dyad that I've been carrying the last few years. The oldest knife I carry regularly was made before Spyderco made knives.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JBE

Post by JBE »

A 440V PE Military....Though it has seen some shelf time through the years it has been the one constant in my collection and has been back in my pocket again for some time now. Date of manufacture on the box is 11/01 and I've had it since 2/02. No plans to retire it any time soon.
Jason
RamDreamer

Post by RamDreamer »

A couple of Delicas from the mid-'90s, with the original molded in clip. They are still the best for carry when wearing nice dress slacks or a suit. Besides, I prefer the slightly more pointed tip of the blades from that era.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

This one - large Wegner model. It really feels great in the hand. I guess if I broke a knife it would retire... as long as I couldn't modify it into a new, useful shape.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Probably not that old in the Spyderco world but this is my oldest and most used..
Attachments
Old Endura.jpg
Old Endura.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got a yellow handed rescue with the integral clip, no steel markings. IIRC we had it narrowed down to 92/93 and g2 steel. It's at my desk here as my food knife. Reaches the bottom of the jar of fruit spread on my desk.

I wouldn't trust the lock for hard use without rebuilding it, so while it's retired it's still used :p

have a ss/se left handed police in g2 (I think) sitting at home in my storage, from ~95... Micarta dyad jr is getting up there in years too... As is the tuffram cricket... and fb01 moran 1st gen... and 98 model endura.

As far as the one that's been in my rotation the longest, we're coming up on 9 years of EDC'ing a ss/pe dragonfly, with most of that in a kydex neck rig. Surprised that it's held up as well as it has.
I'm taking pics tonight of some other stuff I'm putting online tonight, so I'll toss the 'fly in the queue for pics (since I've finally got a decent camera and can show the wear).
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
JBE

Post by JBE »

vampyrewolf wrote:As far as the one that's been in my rotation the longest, we're coming up on 9 years of EDC'ing a ss/pe dragonfly, with most of that in a kydex neck rig. Surprised that it's held up as well as it has.
I'm taking pics tonight of some other stuff I'm putting online tonight, so I'll toss the 'fly in the queue for pics (since I've finally got a decent camera and can show the wear).
That D'fly is still alive??? :D
Jason
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think my oldest still in regular use would be a C48 Wegner (CE) like Jazz's. An intgral pocket clipped C14 Rescue in AUS-8 might qualify if I pulled it out to use more.

Not sure what would have to happen to retire a knife as I haven't really had to do that yet. Mostly, older knives just drop out of rotation for me (I baby them too much! :o ),
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

A PE Executive. This one had some use and not good enough to be a safe queen so I carry it every now and then. A nice little cutter.

kankryb

Post by kankryb »

My oldest EDC is a C01 Worker from 1981-82 and it is still one of the best knives ever. :)
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

JBE wrote:That D'fly is still alive??? :D

Yep... we used it last night to cut up tickets for the 50/50 draw (other option was scissors on a vnox classic :rolleyes: or the moran). Figured it was the least likely to cause a stampede.

Told you guys I'm using it till it dies... then sending it to W&R to see if they laugh or cry at the condition it'll be in. They'll likely laugh at the thought of it being under warranty after having read my history with it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Spyharpy wrote:A PE Executive. This one had some use and not good enough to be a safe queen so I carry it every now and then. A nice little cutter.

I love that knife. It has the same blade shape as my D4 with the wave removed.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ProfessorMartini

Post by ProfessorMartini »

kankryb wrote:My oldest EDC is a C01 Worker from 1981-82 and it is still one of the best knives ever. :)
That's got me beat. My oldest knife in current use is the Swiss Army Classic on my keys. It's been there since 1993...
None of my Spyderco are more than a month old, so...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

A FRN Red Ladybug.....my oldest still in use...circa 1980s IIRC....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

The oldest (read owned the longest) part of my EDC system is my Spyderench or my Spin.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cr123

spyderco paramilitary d2

Post by cr123 »

hi:
i just got into spyderco last year, 2009. I ordered a Paramilitary D2 when it was on Spyderco's webstore closeout section. I didn't know what to expect to Spyderco because I only read about the brand online, never handled one.

I carried it for awhile but just "retired" it into a emergency prep/earthquake kit. :)
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Original Baby Goddard and Labybug 2 Sheepsfoot.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have several Delica 1's and an Endura 1 still seeing active duty. Also a ladybug from the same time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal