Gift for EMT suggestions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chainlink

Post by Chainlink »

2cha wrote:Thanks Tony--I figured there was a reason, just wanted to know what it was. The EMT in question is very attractive and works Lake Delavan in the summer (no SD worries) but Providence RI during the school year--roughly equivalent to some of the rougher areas in Chicago I guess. Thanks for you input. I may just give her the pepto manix--heavy I know, but she likes pink--and substantial enough to make all but the truly meth addled take a step back! I'll give it another week to see if another pink endura pops up (one went last night for a reasonable price).
I was watching a pink one last night too, come **** or high water I will get my girls to carry one way or another...Maybe I watching a Delica....I watch way to many knives.
JBE

Post by JBE »

defenestrate wrote:Personally I am big on the Assist, but I guess it depends on your friend. The Assist is heavier, yes, but if your friend (like me) isn't too worried about the extra weight it still could be a winner. I'd also like to JBE's post about sweat being the only item corrsive to blades. I think hunters on here would likely beg to differ-blood is known to be quite corrosive to even some stainless blades - I believe the combination of oxygenated liquid + salt + iron tends to lead to bonding of said molecules as well as toward oxygenation. Not good for a blade. H1 *will* help with blood.
I have found VG-10 itself to be very stain-resistant. I have owned folders in both steels and they have been exposed to numerous disinfectant cleaners commonly found in EMS usage as well as a myriad of assorted bodily fluids (including blood, urine and vomit) with no ill-effects. I've used a VG-10 Stretch to clean fish offshore (saltwater fish are very bloody); the blade was exposed to blood and saltwater and left unwashed for several days and had no signs of staining when it was finally cleaned. I'm sure VG-10 would eventually discolor if left exposed to blood for a prolonged time but if it's human blood I would sincerely hope that the knife was properly cleaned and disinfected in a proper and timely manner and not just stuck back in the pocket and forgotten. The last thing you would want to do is forget that the knife was exposed to potentially-infectious body fluids and use it for some mundane task later (potentially exposing yourself) or, worse, bring it home with you (potentially exposing family members). There are too many nasty viruses that can live outside of the body for prolonged periods of time. Big difference b/w forgetting to clean a knife with deer blood on it and human blood.

2cha - If you can find a copy get her this book - Streetsense: Communication, Safety and Control by Kate Dernocoeur. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is starting off in EMS.
Jason
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

JBE wrote:The last thing you would want to do is forget that the knife was exposed to potentially-infectious body fluids and use it for some mundane task later (potentially exposing yourself) or, worse, bring it home with you (potentially exposing family members). There are too many nasty viruses that can live outside of the body for prolonged periods of time. Big difference b/w forgetting to clean a knife with deer blood on it and human blood.
Quite agreed; The data re: H1 & blood, etc. is probably academic for most people under most circumstances. I was speaking purely on a theoretical level. I've left my ATS-55 Merlin out in the clay by accident for a month and it picked up not a speck of corrosion of any kind so this is not unheard of with many of the stainless alloy steels used in :spyder: knives.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!