Tasman or spyderhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ssmtbracer

Tasman or spyderhawk

Post by ssmtbracer »

I can't decide which one to get anyone have some input Spyderco Tasman or spyderhawk.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

both
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Buckles wrote:both
Right. No I want to decide on one.
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

Hello,

I have both the deciding point should be the size
other then that they are both the same to me.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i have and would get both. if that is not an option i would go with a tasman. it is a lot more p.c. than a spyderhawk. most nkp about loose their cookies when you open a spyderhawk. the tasman is a jewel. you may want to consider a river city sheath for either knife. they are most useful accessories.
henk1966

Post by henk1966 »

Very difficult choice......if I were in your shoes....spyderhawk....I already have the tasman :rolleyes: ....but seriously,they are both worth it,you,ll find out ;)

Anf if you really have to choose,feel them,you,ll know what to do!! :)
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Having the spyderhawk I think it is just too big for normal everyday uses. Maybe if I was on a boat it would be different.

Using it for EDC might be a little scary infront of the public especially with the serrated edge.

I think the smaller tasman would be better both in front of people, and smaller in pocket.

I once brought my spyderhawk to work to show my boss and while he likes knives and enjoys my various knives he said "Holy %$@#, get that thing away from me"

I smiled ;)
Come Join Us Click Here
marcus1

Post by marcus1 »

I just ordered a Spyderhawk, so perhaps my view will change when I hold the real thing... but from pictures and descriptions it not any larger than my Endura (technically a bit smaller); so not sure why its so "scary"... just the curve?

I carry the Endura as my EDC (if I'm using the acronym correctly; Every Day Carry is my best guess, or something like that??)

I also bought a Caly 3 PE, and it seems puny compared to my SE Endura :)

If you want functionality, I'd say stick with the larger blade... "go big or go home" :)
tac

Post by tac »

Yes, EDC = every day carry.

I agree with you on the larger blades being more functional, but many of us face restrictions on maximum blade size we're allowed to carry. While I do occasionally carry an Endura (or other similarly sized knife), technically it exceeds my workplace's maximum blade length and could cause me problems if the wrong person noticed and decided to make an issue out of it. :(
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i am not sure what about the blade on a hawkbill affects people the way it does but i have had even people who like knives do the "oh #@$" thing when they see one open. i guess it is the curve. s.e. seems to make things even worse. i will get a matriarch when they come out but i doubt i will carry it much for that reason. funny thing is i consider a hawkbill a safe knife since you don't have as much of an issue with dropping the knife and having the point go through your foot. also it is the most useful knife for yard and office use.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Where will you be using this knife? What are the local laws regarding blade length? You get 7/8" more cutting edge on the SH. The handle on the SH is the same size as an Endura, but a bit more square on the end than the Endura. If having a larger knife is not an issue legally and not an issue with you personally then I say go for the SpyderHawk. I love mine and have it in the rotation.

Just curious. Are you getting PE or SE?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

length is no issue.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

My current EDC consists of the H1 Spyderhawk SE, a PE Merlin factory second (kind of a non H1 version of the Tasman) and a Ladybug Hawkbill on my keys.

It really doesn't matter about the size. ANY Hawkbill seems to cause the "Oh #$@&!" reaction, even the little Ladybug Hawkbill, so I would suggest getting the size that best suits your needs and fits your hand the best.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

Get the one that best suits you

Post by JD Spydo »

My answer to the good brother is very simple>>> because "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill"....

I have just about every Hawkbill Spyderco ever made. Both the Tasman and Superhawk are superb blades. If you are new to Hawkbills I would recommend you get a Tasman first. If you are an ardent blade user then go ahead and get the Spyderhawk. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Any of the H-1 Hawkbills are very functional. Just follow your gut because you know more than I do what you need from a Hawkbill blade.

If I lived in the country I would carry a Spyderhawk every day. So your situation depends on the factors you have to deal with on a daily basis.

You can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's Hawkbills
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

The Spyderhawk is just wide in the pocket because of the curved blade.

You will be happy with it.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Go with the spyderhawk,You`ll love it.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Try the Tasman first, in my opinion. The Spyderhawk is a monstrous knife, which while it has it's uses, takes up a lot of pocket space. Unless you plan on dedicating one pocket to the Spyderhawk, the Tasman will melt away in your pocket a lot easier.

Not to mention as others have mentioned, hawkbill blades are terrifying to people not accustomed to seeing them, and the larger Spyderhawk will require your peers changing their trousers. The Tasman won't freak people out quite as much.

Either choice would be a great knife. I'm still carrying the same Tasman I've had for 3 or 4 years now, could be longer, but I've lost track of time.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

O yah.. check this out for a deal on the tasman ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSHr0r6xMwc
Come Join Us Click Here
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Spyderhawk is a monster. Glad I bought one but it's about 1/10th of an inch past legal.

I could see using a Tasman every day in city or out.
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

I'm happy with my Tasman. I carry it quite a bit.
The difference betwwen genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits