Who wants more Chinese-made Spydies? I know I do.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I just want more spydies in general.

I'm excited about the Chinese models because they make it easier for me to evangelize the :spyder: brand and products to folks who cannot yet conceive of paying 100+ bucks for a pocketknife. Show someone a $30ish Tenacious next to almost any G10 liner lock knife less than 70 or 80 bucks from any brand, Spyderco and Byrd included, and they can see the basic integrity of the design. Its action is both fast and much more secure feeling than many more expensive models. I think that even to someone who typically figures on buying a $10-20 knife from a Mega-lo-Mart type store the design, build quality and overall solidness of feel are going to win people over.

Furthermore, I can't help but feel that essentially getting that first knife with the funny round hole in the blade into an ELU's hand is all it will take in a great many cases to win them over, get them interested perhaps in other models, or to get people they know interested in the brand. So whatever gets decent knives into people's hands is what will keep the :spyder: brand strong for years to come. I think that right now, the Chinese made liner lock line is probably the most effective way to do that. All us afis get to see our sprint runs and specialized models with advanced/exotic materials all the more if the user base is notably expanded by the sale of Chinese made knives or of anything else that can deliver real world quality at a modest price. It's win/win as far as I am concerned.

Incongruencies of trade, preference of origin, and political/humanitarian concerns are going to be a fact of life to some degree as long as the industries of manufacture continue the trend toward globalization. Personal feelings aside, it only makes good business sense for a company who works with manufacturers around the world to pay attention to and capitalize on the strengths of different makers in different nations to turn out products that are competitive.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

The Deacon wrote:Spend your money on whatever you wish, that's your right. However, the sale of every Spyderco product, regardless of where it's manufactured, helps pay the salaries of Spyderco's employees in Golden.
I'm curious why you feel the need to respond to my post. The OP simply asked who wants more Chinese knifes, I responded, along with many others that I didn't. I bought a Tenacious once and gave it away because I was not impressed with the quality. My assessment is not theoretical but based on personal experience.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I have several china made Spyderco's and i look forward to many more to come.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MtnMan wrote:I'm curious why you feel the need to respond to my post. The OP simply asked who wants more Chinese knifes, I responded, along with many others that I didn't. I bought a Tenacious once and gave it away because I was not impressed with the quality. My assessment is not theoretical but based on personal experience.
And, if you had written that, I would not have felt the need to respond as I did.

I just felt the need to respond to the implication in your actual post that Spyderco knives manufactured anywhere but Golden somehow do not contribute to the salaries of Spyderco's employees. Truth is, for the first nine years of its existence as a knife company, not one single Spyderco knife was made in the USA. But, without those knives, and without the ones being made overseas today, Spyderco's Golden factory would simply not exist.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Very true Paul.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

Byrd line for me would be fine..
Am not too big on China these days.
And thats just me.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

The Deacon wrote:And, if you had written that, I would not have felt the need to respond as I did.

I just felt the need to respond to the implication in your actual post that Spyderco knives manufactured anywhere but Golden somehow do not contribute to the salaries of Spyderco's employees. Truth is, for the first nine years of its existence as a knife company, not one single Spyderco knife was made in the USA. But, without those knives, and without the ones being made overseas today, Spyderco's Golden factory would simply not exist.
I need to word my posts more carefully maybe. I probably came off being too opinionated, or even judgmental, I didn't mean to. Looking back, the Tenacious was a disappointment because I had unrealistic expectations for a knife that was purchased for about 30 dollars. Considering the price, it's a solid value and a good option for someone with a tight knife budget. It's also a good option for tasks where you wouldn't want to use a favorite or high end knife. I know the Spyderco history and have owned their knifes since the first Seki-City Japan blades hit the streets. They're still favorites carried today in rotation with my current favorites, the Military and Para.
Spyderco is one of my favorite knife companies, I just hope that the day doesn't come where the US made models move off-shore. :)
sal

Post by sal »

I sure love the sensible people on this forum. :)

I mean that as a sincere compliment. The fire bell rings several times a week and we just hide 'n watch and almost always the group here brings the thrad back to a civil level. Lotta countries could learn from you.

sal
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

For me... I'm not 100% against it. However, I collect Spyderco knives because they're one of the best production knives out there. If you see a Spyderco knife in someone's pocket, you know they didn't sacrifice (they got the best).

To have a "budget" Chinese line out there really cheapens the brand IMHO. It's like slapping a BMW emblem onto a Hyundai ... The Hyundai might perform ok, it might have a 100,000 mile warranty, but it's still not a BMW. It will lower the perceived value of all the BMW models.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Trihonda wrote: It's like slapping a BMW emblem onto a Hyundai ... The Hyundai might perform ok, it might have a 100,000 mile warranty, but it's still not a BMW. It will lower the perceived value of all the BMW models.
I dunno about that, you have to remember that Hyundai despite its being looked down on by a lot of folks, won many car of the year awards for the Genesis in 2009 and again for the 2010 model. So despite where it was made, it is a hugely successful and quality product.

Then Tenacious line of knives is much like that.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I dunno about that, you have to remember that Hyundai despite its being looked down on by a lot of folks, won many car of the year awards for the Genesis in 2009 and again for the 2010 model. So despite where it was made, it is a hugely successful and quality product.

Well said.
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I dunno about that, you have to remember that Hyundai despite its being looked down on by a lot of folks, won many car of the year awards for the Genesis in 2009 and again for the 2010 model. So despite where it was made, it is a hugely successful and quality product.

Not saying Hyundais are bad, but they're no BMW. When you pull up to a stop light and a black sporty beamer pulls along one side, and a red hyundai pulls along the other side, which one will most people gawk at? Which one will likely win in a race? Just saying... ;)
lorenzo x

Post by lorenzo x »

Sorry, nothing says junk knife like made in China
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I would love to see Spyderco stop supporting China and send all those China made models to Taiwan.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Trihonda wrote:Not saying Hyundais are bad, but they're no BMW. When you pull up to a stop light and a black sporty beamer pulls along one side, and a red hyundai pulls along the other side, which one will most people gawk at? Which one will likely win in a race? Just saying... ;)
Yes and I agree, but the Tenacious line aren't meant to be BMWs. They are meant to be Hyundais. Cheap, but well made. They are "entry level" or "introductory" type knives. Most people can't buy a BMW as their first car, but a Hyundai might be do-able. Most people aren't going to spend $100 or more on their first EDC knife, but a $30-40 knife, sure. And then once they see the quality that Spyderco produces, they get another, better one...and another and another and another.

****, I still carry my Persistence quite a bit despite having other knives that I could use.
On the hunt for...
Trihonda

Post by Trihonda »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Yes and I agree, but the Tenacious line aren't meant to be BMWs. They are meant to be Hyundais. Cheap, but well made. They are "entry level" or "introductory" type knives. Most people can't buy a BMW as their first car, but a Hyundai might be do-able. Most people aren't going to spend $100 or more on their first EDC knife, but a $30-40 knife, sure. And then once they see the quality that Spyderco produces, they get another, better one...and another and another and another.
I'm torn. I'd love sharing spydies with the world (letting everyone afford one). However, the other side of me likes that it's a special kind of knife that not everyone has. And if you have one, you're likely an afficianado or at least you appreciate it. You're not likely someone who picked out a knife at Walmart that was the cheapest buy.

If you own a $60k BMW, do you want them coming out with a Chinese version that costs $20k and looks similar? It cheapens the entire line IMHO.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

lorenzo x wrote:Sorry, nothing says junk knife like made in China
You registered here just to say that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
sal

Post by sal »

There are BMW's made in China and sold in China. They're quite popular there, as are Audi's, Mercedes, Honda's Toyota's, etc. We drove from Shanghai to Nanjing in a Chinese made Lexus.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

None for me thanks.
I am lucky to be in a position to support countries I agree with.
With my dollars that is. (Whenever its possible)
Its getting more difficult by the day.........
Am happy knifes are unlike some things where you still have a choice.
Try to find Tennis shoes made in the USA. LOL LOL

I am tired of built in obsolesce, and am old enough to remember how long things can last.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
v8r

Post by v8r »

This is my observation, and take it for what you will. The main reason why some companies have moved manufacturing overseas is due the American people(I am one myself) wanting a incredible wage per hour. Most want lots of money for very little work. There are also Unions which have made it really difficult for a manufacturers to Have competivetly priced products such as the American auto manufacturers for example. Anyone remember how much cars were just 20 years ago?

As a whole the American people have gotten lazy and complacent. Most of us don't want to put forth the effort that our pay grade reflects. We want to make the most for the least amount of effort. This country's founding mothers and fathers made this country by working hard and fighting for what was theirs. I know my grandparents could probably have out worked most people these days when they were in their prime.

I don't mind Chinese made products, as long as a American company has control of the manufacture and quality control. I would love to by all American, but reality tells me this will probably never happen due to the American people not working to their full potential or pay grade.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p