WOOHOO my new Manix 2 just arrived!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

A great many people on the forum (myself included) think of the Manix2 immediately when anyone asks about folders that can take a ridiculous beating. They're just that stout. I was using mine on oysters the other night (because I'm a twisted SoB and because the oyster knife didn't cut it, so to speak) and it is still looking fine (and cutting effectively - that hard MOP and stony shell did take the hair-popping edge off, but I was using it to pry - should be back to scary sharp after a few minutes with my SharpMaker). Would you put YOUR favorite plainedged knife in such a situation? I might as well have been carving on concrete, the way these oysters were. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, at least with that blade.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Oysters? that's a really good testimonial. Oysters are as hard as stones, I think.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Simsmac wrote:See for your self: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40465
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=27
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=68
This knife is crazy tough. The lanyard hole on most of the Manix 2s are tightly connected to the liners. I'd say definitely go for it.
Wow. These are some tough use! Comes very handy next time I need to stab a car door :p I think I will buy one soon. I like the way Manix 2 is so wide (great grip and hand protection) and relatively short (easier to carry comparing to Endura). Such a great design!
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I want this knife for harder use than I would put my Endura or Mariner up against.I wont pry with my Endura or Mariner AT ALL. I just cut with them.I still want use the Manix tip as a screw driver but IF I had to pry lightly I assume the Manix can handle it.I will get it next month.I only can afford about $100 a month for this new Spydie hobby of mine.I do use them though,and they make my job easier often.I think a good test would be to run over it repeatedly with a lawn mower then put it on rail road tracks and let a few trains roll over it then...just kidding.
jonnydingo

Post by jonnydingo »

Love the Manix2 one is never enough
Spydie addict,

Two of the following,
Manix 2 CF s90v
Manix 2 Blue s30v
Manix 2 Foilage XHP
E4 USN
E4 Blue
Ladybug Orange H1 and torx screws
Just one of each,
Sage CF
E4 White
E4 G10
Pink Manix 2
E4 Purple
Ladybug White
Orange Millie
Native
Pacific salt yellow
carrot

Post by carrot »

OK I've been playing with the Manix 2 for the past few days now.

Impressions are: this is a sweet, solid and beefy knife, super fast to open and surprisingly comfortable to carry. It's also awesome in hand, and achieves the same great feel that the original Manix does. I love it.

BUT, and this is a big one, I find myself being a bit annoyed with how cumbersome it is to close. I used to have a few Dodos and I found the BBL fairly easy to thumb closed but with the Manix 2's CBBL I have to use a pinch grip and it is HARD to do sometimes. After an especially tiring day I find it hard to close one handed and I have to give up and use two hands. Similarly if it's wet I find myself needing both hands.

Does anybody else find the Manix 2 difficult to unlock? If not, any tips and tricks that might help? Maybe this is just something that you get used to...
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

carrot wrote:OK I've been playing with the Manix 2 for the past few days now.

Impressions are: this is a sweet, solid and beefy knife, super fast to open and surprisingly comfortable to carry. It's also awesome in hand, and achieves the same great feel that the original Manix does. I love it.

BUT, and this is a big one, I find myself being a bit annoyed with how cumbersome it is to close. I used to have a few Dodos and I found the BBL fairly easy to thumb closed but with the Manix 2's CBBL I have to use a pinch grip and it is HARD to do sometimes. After an especially tiring day I find it hard to close one handed and I have to give up and use two hands. Similarly if it's wet I find myself needing both hands.

Does anybody else find the Manix 2 difficult to unlock? If not, any tips and tricks that might help? Maybe this is just something that you get used to...
For me, it took my manix2 a while to break in. When I first got it I could hardly close it one handed, now I can use just my thumb. Either that or I got used to it, either way it should get better for you.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It (closing) annoyed me at first, too, especially compared to some other designs. Then I decided to try to wear one out (didn't work!). In the process, the closing action became so second nature that I now close other favorite designs (such as the Axis) the way I close the Manix 2, rather than trying to do the reverse.
carrot wrote:OK I've been playing with the Manix 2 for the past few days now.

davibocce

Post by davibocce »

I consider the two-finger closing a feature not an issue - because it would make accidental closing so much more difficult :D
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

In a video on the Manix it was said that closing was a problem using one finger but he eventually started using both studs and solved the problem. At least, that is how I remember it.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

I use the pinch action to close my M2. The only way I can get it close one-hand. This gives me a lot of peace of mind as I may need to use my Manix2 hard for SD or what not (wish that'd never happen!).

I develop a dislike of knives that can close by pushing a single spot on the handle (edit to add: a spot that one may possibly trigger while using the knife; I still trust the backlocks on my E4/D4 :) ) - one reason I no longer carry my tenacious on my person. Still great knife though.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There was also a mod to the scales that involved a chamfer around the cage to make it easier to access with the thumb. IIRC, however, Sal advised not making that modification, though I did not go back to search to see if my memory is correct.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I can close or open mine with my thumb or at better moments my index finger on the CBBL but I prefer a pinch grip, either thumb and forefinger (forward grip) or thumb and ring or maybe thumb/middle (reverse grip). I also have stronger than average fingers from playing guitar and doing other things with said fingers, so YMMV.

Also, an action shot (though kinda lo-fi) of my M2:

-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!