WOOHOO my new Manix 2 just arrived!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baconman69

WOOHOO my new Manix 2 just arrived!

Post by Baconman69 »

What can I say? It's everything I've read about it here on the forums. It's big and heavy and built like a tank and the cbbl is really cool! Just one thing though, the lanyard tube only seems to be connected to one liner and I can actually pull the back end of the knife apart a little bit. Just wondering if that's normal? Other than that the knife is amazing and my first spydie thats not an endura. I'm really excited to have it!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I have a few and all of mine are tight and the tube is flared on both sides. Maybe you could post up some pics?
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

SteelDragon wrote:I have a few and all of mine are tight and the tube is flared on both sides. Maybe you could post up some pics?
Gonna have to wait on my step dad to get home and let me borrow his camera, but I'll post some as soon as I can.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That doesn't sound right. My Manix 2 is tight and solid.
:bug-red-white
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Which colour did you spring for?
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Great knife. I hope you can get your lanyard tube take care of so your knife is completely solid.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stony

Post by Stony »

I got one today as well, Great knife. Enjoy yours.
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

Hopefully, no thanks to my bad photography skills, this will shed a little light on what's happening. The lanyard tube has some space in between it and the liner. It's seems like its not attatched to the right side liner or the g10 scale like on the left side.

Donut

Post by Donut »

I think there is a step in the lanyard hole where it is wider between the liners and steps to narrow where it goes through the liner.

Here is a thread where someone disassembled their Manix. I don't suggest you disassemble yours because it voids the warranty, but you can look at the lanyard hole to understand that it will stay in place even if loose.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42441

I saw another thread about bladeplay similar to what you say you have, but the suggestion was to take apart the knife and file it, I don't think that's a very good solution for you, so I won't be posting a link to it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

Donut wrote:I think there is a step in the lanyard hole where it is wider between the liners and steps to narrow where it goes through the liner.

Here is a thread where someone disassembled their Manix. I don't suggest you disassemble yours because it voids the warranty, but you can look at the lanyard hole to understand that it will stay in place even if loose.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42441

I saw another thread about bladeplay similar to what you say you have, but the suggestion was to take apart the knife and file it, I don't think that's a very good solution for you, so I won't be posting a link to it.
Thanks for the link Donut, but I think I'm going to have it exchanged just to be on the safe side.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Good call, I would exchange it as well. I hate to see you have to pack it back up and ship it back but that is exactly what I would do on a knife that costs that much.
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

Just figured I'd post an update. New manix 2 arrived and it's perfect, I'm very pleased with it. Now I can go out and see what its made of!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Baconman69 wrote:Just figured I'd post an update. New manix 2 arrived and it's perfect, I'm very pleased with it. Now I can go out and see what its made of!
I think it's made of 154 cm and G10. :D
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Baconman69 wrote:Just figured I'd post an update. New manix 2 arrived and it's perfect, I'm very pleased with it. Now I can go out and see what its made of!
Glad to hear you got a replacement, keep us posted on how it holds up under pressure.
Baconman69

Post by Baconman69 »

Well so far it's held up to anything I'd ever use a folder for far better than I'd expected. I went out back and did some light chopping on some bushes and a few planks of wood that were lying around. The 154CM is great stuff and based upon what I've seen holds its edge better than VG10. I absolutely love this knife and it's an awesome knife for the price.
psmith27

Post by psmith27 »

Im happy everything worked out for you man. I just got one recently after losing my para and am very pleased, i know some think it is silly but I prefer Golden made knives. The price can not be beat.
Cheers,
Patrick
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

I bought a Manix II a week or two ago. I must say I am very very pleased with it. I know there are many Spydie freaks who swear by their old Manix type knives, but, if the ball bearing lock is as good as Spyderco claim it to be, it is an absolutely superb knife. And it's reasonably priced considering it's size and the fact that it's made in Golden even when bought here in the UK.
I would go as far to say I would buy a second Manix II in say UKPK green G10 with a CPM m4 blade. I have heard that CPM m4 is a tough blade material that I think would suit a large pocket knife like the Manix II down to the ground.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Sweet knife. I am considering a Manix 2 myself. But I have a question that I wonder if Manix 2 owners can help: there are only two screws (plus the pivot screw), and the lanyard hole, holding the handle together. The two liners/scales are only connected by the lanyard hole on the second half of the handle. My question is, is this construction sturdy enough for hard use?
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

I think the reason the lanyard hole is only attached to one liner/scale is so that the knife can be dismantled easily. I think the knife probably would be even stronger if it were fixed to both side of the knife, but honestly it is a brute of a knife as it is. I don't think you'll hurt the knife with hard use and I think Sal does lots of tests on each design before he puts a model out.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

dayliu wrote:My question is, is this construction sturdy enough for hard use?
See for your self: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40465
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=27
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=68
This knife is crazy tough. The lanyard hole on most of the Manix 2s are tightly connected to the liners. I'd say definitely go for it.