Thoughts on the FFG Delica/Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Thoughts on the FFG Delica/Endura

Post by markg »

Well, time has passed and I have bought way more of these then I thought I would. Originally I planned on getting the brown Delica. However at this point I have the Delica and Endura in brown, and purple. I also have the Delica in blue. I have handled them in gray (and will get one of those at some point). I am considering the green... But who knows.

Here are my thoughts.

The FFG sure makes the knife lighter, and in the case of the Endura, it makes the knife look smaller. Now, I don't think the blades looks as nice, the saber grind, and its angles look "prettier" to me at least. The FFG looks pretty good on the Endura however the Delica... But hey knives cut right? Who cares what they look like? Well to a point.

Oh the pun... Sorry. :)

The blades do preform better and are lighter. So much lighter that I cannot inertia open then to same my life, especially the Delica. Sorry Mike J, I have tried my best. The blades are just too light. So I revert to a two handed opening under stress (which I like better anyway). The blue Delcia has become a standard in my rotation. I can carry it at work loose in the pocket, which is nice.

As for the colors. When I started I wanted the brown something bad. However as is often the case, it ended up not being my favorite. Now I like the brown, don't get me wrong... However my favorite color of the bunch has sort of shocked me. The blue looks great, really good on the Delica. This is not the first blue Delica we have seen, so we should not be surprised. All that being said, the purple is my favorite. Purple, purple... Yes purple. The purple with the black clip... Tasty.

All of them came in great shape, except the purple Delcia. It has some play in the lock, or more over "lock set." Which as I understand is an issue with fitting of the pivot? You know you lock it open, then it has play (vertical) for just a moment then it set in. Not a huge deal and I know it can happen with this type of knife. Minor issue only seen on this example.

Now, if I could just get a purple, SE, black bladed "Barney Killer" Endura... I would be really happy.

Now the question is, are they better than originals? I think they will preform better. However I think the average "Joe Q. Public" would opt for the look and feel of the original. Also, most of us who would have bought one, have bought about 8 of these as "semi-sprints" and not sure how demand would go if they went regular production. Guess that is why you pay a marketing dept.

Now I need at least one of the gray and the green. Funny thing is, I have always loved gray FRN knives... Go figure.

I highly recommend these, and if you have not gotten one yet, I recommend the purple. :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ok we need pics...all the colors not just purple...LOL...Doc :D

Oh and I have not dropped the hammer on any of these FFGs..so convince me somebody... why I need or would want one....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
markg

Post by markg »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ok we need pics...all the colors not just purple...LOL...Doc :D

Oh and I have not dropped the hammer on any of these FFGs..so convince me somebody... why I need or would want one....Doc ;)
There are previous threads with all the colors represented, and not sure my photo skills will exceed those already taken.

Seriously, you need a least one.

My purple Delica cut my finger. Just a little bit, and it did so by just a light touch of the blade to my finger. The only other knife that was this sharp is my Chinook 2. And I know you feelings on the Chinook 2. Same caliber of performance IMHO.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

markg wrote:There are previous threads with all the colors represented, and not sure my photo skills will exceed those already taken.

Seriously, you need a least one.

My purple Delica cut my finger. Just a little bit, and it did so by just a light touch of the blade to my finger. The only other knife that was this sharp is my Chinook 2. And I know you feelings on the Chinook 2. Same caliber of performance IMHO.
Ok went to u-tube an saw MJ's vid on the FFG, I like the purple as well...I have been debating if I really need another full flat grind knife...I guess I'll have to get one of each...I am a big fan of the orginals...Thanks Markg...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

2cha

Post by 2cha »

markg wrote: Now, if I could just get a purple, SE, black bladed "Barney Killer" Endura... I would be really happy.
Well, I hadn't planned on it, but with the new nickname, I just might have to jump!!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

2cha wrote:Well, I hadn't planned on it, but with the new nickname, I just might have to jump!!!
Oh boy!...ummm... If you kill Barney I will have to report you to the proper authorities. (That would be Deputy Barney (from Mayberry)... a distant relative for sure :p or at least KaliGman....FWIW...To do you job right...you are gonna need a Rock Salt...did you see the size of that purple guy?....Doc :D

Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Been debating getting one of these, but I just found the perfect excuse. I go to conventions and have an exhibit booth for my company. Of course, there is shrink wrap and cardboard boxes galore to deal with. I took my Dragonfly to have some blade, but I dont like taking my own knives in case they get stolen. So, I figure I need a good reliable blade for the booth - FRN FFG Delica would be perfect. And I think Barney-Killer purple would be a nice NKP color to boot!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I didn't think that I wanted a flimsy uber-thin slicer blade but I pulled the trigger on a BRG ZDP Endura. Boy this thing cuts way better than the saber grind Endura. I still swear by the robustness(?) of the saber grind but I push cut jerky with my new baby! I cut tapa(Filipino jerky) often for breakfast and even with a hair whittling edge I still had to exert a fair amount of pressure with my tenacious especially cutting across the grain. I couldn't believe how little pressure I needed to cut the thin, tough slices into the proper size. I didn't even have to use slicing motions.
kawr

Post by kawr »

Are FFG blades noticeably weaker than a saber grind blade? I have the FFG version of the Endura 4 and i would prefer a saber grind if it means i can use it for tougher tasks and not worry about the blade breaking.
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Thanks for your thoughts on the ffg knives. I have a question? You say
the ffg are lighter. According to the spec's they are pretty much the
same weight at least in the Endura as the originals? I'm just curious are
they really that much lighter? thanks. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have the FFG ZDP Endura and an Endura Wave. I don't have an accurate scale, but I can say that the FFG is noticeably lighter. Quite a bit less blade heavy.
:bug-red-white
THG

Post by THG »

kawr wrote:Are FFG blades noticeably weaker than a saber grind blade? I have the FFG version of the Endura 4 and i would prefer a saber grind if it means i can use it for tougher tasks and not worry about the blade breaking.
The FFG blades have a bit of flex towards the tips. So yeah, I guess they are "noticeably weaker" than the saber grinds. But if you're using the knife as a knife, I don't think there should be a problem.

That said, the FFGs cut noticeably better than the saber grinds ;)
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have a digital postal scale, I will have to weigh the ZDP original release and the FFG factory release model and post the findings.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Thanks for the info. I'm sure they do feel lighter in the blade than the Saber grinds.
I might pick up an Endura in FFG. I'm dying to try it out in the kitchen.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
unit

Post by unit »

I think the weight difference becomes very noticeable when you thumb flick the knife open. The actual difference may be small, but the kinetics make it more apparent.

Similarly when I took a Saber grind and cut a wave out of it the difference was very slight (0.2 ounces) but it was very apparent when the blade hit the lock bar after a thumb flick.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I had a wave Delica FFG'd and I agree it makes a big difference in the kinetics of it. the wave is almost useless now because there isnt enough weight to keep the momentum from the rotation gong to get it to fully open like a wave should. Worlds different in slicing and cutting. Like someone stated about regrinds: If you use a knife like a knife instead of a prybar, it'll work much better.
daundu

Post by daundu »

I actually like the sabre ground blades best.

I'm just more used to working with them I guess. Also, I have more faith in their durability.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I really enjoy these FFG Delicas and Enduras. They slice very well. I gave my Purple Delica to my wife, she would only accept a knife if it was purple..lol
Have a few saber ground in case I run into heavier duty.

I believe these color options plus the FFG was a very good idea. Then again I think all of my knives from Spyderco were a good idea :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
THG

Post by THG »

It's been a month now, and I've bought another one. This is the first knife which I've bought duplicates. It's THAT good. Without a doubt, it's the best knife I've ever had the pleasure of using.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
MCM

Post by MCM »

Food for thought....... :)

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......