Need help picking new knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joestoocrazy16

Need help picking new knife

Post by Joestoocrazy16 »

I am looking to add a new knife to my collection.

I have settled on either:

Urban Safety Orange

or

Meerkat

or

Manix 2 Blue or Carpenter steel

anybody have experience with these and can give me some insight.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I have none of them but for me it would be the Urban - but that's because I am in the UK and being able to EDC it would be an important consideration. If it's just for the collection or you're not in a country with restrictive EDC laws then just ignore me :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Both Manixes were sprint runs and are pretty much gone already, if you still see them somewhere new, you better jump on them if you want one.
Meerkat (Gray/Blue) was a sprint run and no other version is in production ATM. The sprint run is pretty much sold out, you might find some if you're really lucky.
Just FYI.
bell

New Perrin

Post by bell »

Wait for the new Perrin PPK.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Manix sprints are really hard to find (still some on ebay). The Meerkat is also getting really hard to find (spydercovt.com and bladehq still list them in stock). There seem to be plenty of Urbans around.
:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Oops, looks like bladehq is sold out of Meerkats.
:bug-red-white
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

If you can find one of the Manix IIs at a reasonable price, I would say get one. It's my choice out of the three.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

You should get the ones hardest to find - Meerkat and Manix II - both were sprints. The Urban Orange is still in production so that will be around for a while.

I have to give a big +1 to Bell who is also waiting for the Perrin PPT. That is one hot knife. I will be first in line and pay whatever I need to get one of those! Sorry, not the topic of this thread.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I've owned or still own all of them. Not really knowing your needs or situation, I'll just say what I feel about them. YMMV.

1. Urban Safety Orange. Cool knife except it doesn't lock. That was the deciding factor in not keeping it. If one lives in the USA, for me it's tough owning a non-locking Spyderco. I own Case pocket knives and that is acceptable for me, but not in a Spyderco folder.

2. Meerkat. A cool little knife, but without multiple position clip options, it was tough to keep in the collection. Also, the novelty of the lock wore out quickly for me.

3. Blue Manix and new FG Manix. Own both and they are in a completely different category than the Urban and Meerkat. These are fantastic knives! Rugged, well-designed, attractive and functional. Blue sold out like hot cakes and I wish I bought two. I like the FG version for the new steel too. So far, I really like the performance of the steel. Get one of these before it is too late.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Really depends on what you're looking for. Urban and Meerkat are both small, Manix 2 much larger. Urban is very light and thin. Meerkat quite heavy for its size. Urban and Manix 2 are fully ambidexterous, the Meerkat not so much. Its clip can be mounted for either RH or LH tip down carry but its lock makes it someone unnatural to closed left handed. On the other hand, Manix 2 and Urban are RH or LH tip up only, so if you prefer tip down, the Meerkat is you only choice. Urban has no lock. Manix II's you're looking for may prove hard to find.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Can you tell us a little bit about your current collection? What are your needs and any restrictions? Without knowing I would go with the Manix2 with Carpenter Steel.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
angusW

Post by angusW »

I need to get my eyes checked. I thought the thread title was "Need help picking new wife".

Tell us what you are looking for in a knife. Is a 3" locking blade no problem, plain edge or serrated. Tip up/down. Are you using it for camping, work, gardening around the shop or near water. What kind of scales. BTW you can pickup a Green Manix II here for $160 CDN.

Also what are you willing to spend? There are a lot of great knives under $100 but if you don't mind spending $200 then that greatly increases what is out there for you.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies