Zowada or Walker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Franciscomv

Zowada or Walker?

Post by Franciscomv »

I'm working on my next knife order, and my supplier has both the Zowada and Walker sprints for a decent price. I like them both, and would use both, but I can't get them both right now. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Price is almost the same.
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Interesting question. I have only the Walker (the Zowada styling didn't grab me) and I would say that it's a good choice if your job is mainly office-based. It's small and looks non-aggressive, hence a good edc in a "white collar" workspace.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Both are very well made. The Walker is more of a small gent's knife, yet still capable of handling a wide variety of cutting chores. The Zowada is a great EDC that is large and pointy enough to do just about whatever you need done. I would say that the Zowada allows a more solid grip and offers more gripping options but does not carry quite as easily. In summary, if I were forced to buy only one that would be the Zowada.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Walker offers "better" steel at a lower price. On the down side, there do seem to be some fit and finish issues with it. The Zowada's higher price tag may very well reflect better craftsmanship.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamDreamer

Post by RamDreamer »

After handling both at SFO, I went Walker. I was really looking forward to the Zowada, but when I put it in my hand it just didn't fit very well. The Walkers I tried to buy through a distributor both had finish issues, so they went back and I purchased where I could see what I was paying for in advance. A little more expensive, but I'm happier with the product.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I grabbed a Walker.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I enjoy my Walker. Don't have the Zowada, but the dagger shape doesn't appeal to me too much. The Walker is very useful and people friendly. That ZDP blade never stops cutting, and cutting, and cutting...........Haven't had to touch it up yet after cutting quite a bit of rubber tubing, quite a few large sheets of paper (3ft.), and some cardboard. I had some small blemishes on the handle on delivery, but the blade and function F&F is top notch.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I think the Walker is quite ugly, while the Zowada is very classy looking. I actually wanted to pick one up at one point, but the money was better spent elsewhere.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

You've got a tough choice Francisomv, folks on both sides of the decison. You could get both?...lol Whatever's best for you. I believe you'd enjoy either model, but both would be the best option if possible :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
MyKnife

Post by MyKnife »

I like Zowada, but i have first version. I don't like clip placement on Sprint Run :-/.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Thanks for sharing your opinions, guys. Ideally, I'll get both (one this month and the other one next month). I like the looks of both.

The Walker is kinda special because a light weight version was my first Spyderco and I've always wanted that same model in nicer materials (the one I've got is AUS8 and linerless FRN). But I know it won't get much use. My knives with 2" and 2.5" blades don't get carried that much. The smallest knives I carry as main EDC blades are Delicas, Calys and such.

I've never held a Zowada, and it's good to hear that it's a practical design. I had my doubts. I think I'm going to order this one first, because I'll use a 3" blade more often and because it's quite different to all the other Spydies I've got.

The Walker will probably have to wait until next month (unless I decide to get a Chinook... so many Spydies, so little money!).
zvir

Post by zvir »

What issues you talking about?
MCM

Post by MCM »

I think the main issue were a few had minor carbon fibre issues/flaws.

I had one tiny flaw out of my three knifes.
For me it was not enough even to bring up.
See photo below.
Best light weight sub 3" knife out there. Super light/Super tough/ Super sharp!

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here are a couple pics of the chips in my Michael Walker's scales. I'm not really upset about it, because I plan to use and carry this knife. But, if I had paid full retail for it as a shelf queen, that might be different.

:bug-red-white
MyKnife

Post by MyKnife »

Wow, it's really poor quality :-/. I read on forums about poor quality of Walker.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

bad thing about carbon fiber is it has AMAZING lateral strength but not so tough in the chip department. I would probably go with both. Hard for me to choose but i like the walker blade shape and the zowada handle. I just see the walker blade shape being more practical.
druid

Post by druid »

Zowada would be the choice for me, I have an earlier walker sprint run with aluminum handles, he does have very nonaggressive styling, however in my opinion it also has poor ergonomics, and a not so utilitarian blade shape. While more aggressive looking I believe the Zowada it is far more useful than blade shape and comfortable in the hand. As many have stated before always try them in person at all possible. And by them there if practical.
why
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There is one thing I find strange about the Walker, ergonomically. The choil is very shallow and doesn't really provide a very secure place for your finger. Also, the jimping in the choil area doesn't provide much traction because it just barely protrudes from the scales and liner.

As a result, I find that I need to be very careful when handling this knife, not to accidentally ride up onto the blade.

Also, the way that little corner of the tang sticks out when closed makes the design look a bit unfinished to me (I guess I've become accustomed to the smooth lines of the Caly 3 and CF Native).

I do really like the placement of the pocket clip. How the middle finger rides perfectly in the indentation, but that also causes it to stick out of the pocket a bit more. Overall, I like the knife a lot, and I plan to use it, but it is far from the perfect EDC in my opinion.

The Zowada looks like a nice knife, and would probably be more functional, but I haven't really gotten excited about its styling. However, I would definitely pick one up if the price was right.
:bug-red-white
zvir

Post by zvir »

thanks for replies! those chippings are bad, but not lethal. and this is one more reason why i prefer peel-ply CF like it was on BG-42 military or zdp/cf stretch.
bell

Post by bell »

S
gbelleh wrote:There is one thing I find strange about the Walker, ergonomically. The choil is very shallow and doesn't really provide a very secure place for your finger. Also, the jimping in the choil area doesn't provide much traction because it just barely protrudes from the scales and liner.

As a result, I find that I need to be very careful when handling this knife, not to accidentally ride up onto the blade.

Also, the way that little corner of the tang sticks out when closed makes the design look a bit unfinished to me (I guess I've become accustomed to the smooth lines of the Caly 3 and CF Native).

I do really like the placement of the pocket clip. How the middle finger rides perfectly in the indentation, but that also causes it to stick out of the pocket a bit more. Overall, I like the knife a lot, and I plan to use it, but it is far from the perfect EDC in my opinion.

The Zowada looks like a nice knife, and would probably be more functional, but I haven't really gotten excited about its styling. However, I would definitely pick one up if the price was right.
Super post gebelleh. IMO the Zow is a sticker and the Walker is a Gent cutter.