ZDP is no match for...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

ZDP is no match for...

Post by Bolster »

Ceramic tile.

My contractor brought his wife to the job today, and she saw me using my Stretch while working on electrical outlets. Sometime later, near lunchtime, she asked to borrow my knife to cut an apple. I had that initial feeling that I should say no, but was busy, thought "what harm can come of cutting an apple," didn't want to appear to be an uncooperative *** as no other knives were available, so handed her my knife.

Within 20 seconds she had dulled it to butter-knife uselessness. She took the apple into the kitchen, onto the ceramic tile of the counter, and ... well, you know what happened next.

I didn't figure out what had happened till after she returned the knife, and I noticed it had NO EDGE. Took me 2 hours to cut that back bevel by hand. Took the contractor's wife 20 seconds to make it as dull as the side of a wall.

So next time I'll actually USE my pre-prepared line for when someone asks to borrow: "I'll be glad to cut something for you, how can I help?"
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Oh man. That is an ouch. What was your process for putting an edge back on the knife?
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That just bothers me - I feel for you. I really like to keep an eye on people IF I let them borrow a knife.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

Dulled that easily?!
1. There is a time and place for everything.
2. Not everybody shares your views.
3. Common sense and basic courtesy gets one far.
4. Know your local laws.
5. "Sheeple" is a bigot's term.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have had similar experiences. I now carry many more options.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know what is a match for ceramic tile :( I bet serrations would hold up better but still that's a ton of abuse.

Sorry about the blade. That's horribly frustrating. A great reminder to always have a second knife around I guess. sigh.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Farmer Brown wrote:Dulled that easily?!
I wouldn't say that dulling that results from careless cutting on a ceramic tile qualifies as "dulled that easily." It's somewhere between cutting on rock and cutting on glass. :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Farmer Brown wrote:Dulled that easily?!
Ceramic tile can be used to sharpen your knife. That is, the softer back side can be used that way. The glazed front face is even harder. Ceramic tile will take out any steel knife edge I've ever seen, including S90V. Especially when someone not used to actual sharp knives uses the amount of force they normally do. The sharp knife zips right through and slams full force into the hard surface. Then it's the kind of knife they are used to.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

cutting on ceramic is the sure-est way to DESTROY the entire edge without even trying.

I sharpened the kitchen knife for my mom, and l saw her "chopping" a lemon so hard that actually hurts my ear. I guess she was just use to the dull knives so she was using all the power she's got to cut that poor lemon, and the cutting board
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

That sucks. I had someone dull one of my kitchen knives by cutting on a glass cutting board
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm trying to envision an edge just a few thousandths or less thick crashing down on a surface that is much harder and just won't give (Cringe!!), Crumple.

My wife likes this glass cutting board that I refuse to use. I always take out the wood as do all of you I'm sure.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That's the reason I have a POS Chinese knockoff with me all the time. It's for when people want to borrow my knife. I lend the knockoff, it's hair popping sharp too and easy to get back when NKP dull it.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I let my colleagues use my knives once in a while but it's usually to just cut open a box and I'm right there. Only once did it come back dull. I wasn't watching that time.

If you think about it, ceramic tile is basically stone and what do we use to sharpen our knives? Stones or something close to it. I'm not surprised it dulled, even ZDP. Or did it roll the edge?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Sorry to hear about that bro. How did you restore the edge?

spyderdog wrote:That sucks. I had someone dull one of my kitchen knives by cutting on a glass cutting board
Glass cutting boards = worst knife related invention I've ever seen!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Cuervo wrote: Glass cutting boards = worst knife related invention I've ever seen!
I'm guessing the glass cutting board was invented by someone selling sharpening equipment.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Damnit!! Im sorry man, Dont you love people that just dont understand!? :mad:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm guessing the glass cutting board was invented by someone selling sharpening equipment.
LOL Touche my friend, touche.

Where's ole Billy Mayes when you need him? He'd be marketing busted tile scraps as a new age eco-friendly knife sharpening system! Free pyrex cutting board with purchase! **additional shipping and handling rates may apply**
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sorry about your (edge) loss. That's exactly why I always used to keep a Tenacious or Byrd with me at work.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Sorry about the edge man. I usually carry a carbon steel Opinel #6 or #8 for food and lending out. Even if someone manages to dull the edge as bad as your Stretch, that carbon steel sharpens back up really easily. And, at the price point, no biggie if it gets lost or all beaten to heck by NKP's. :)
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cckw

Post by cckw »

repeat after me "...oh you don't want to cut food with this knife. But I don't want to tell you why."