How much better as a slicer is the new ffg endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderdog

How much better as a slicer is the new ffg endura?

Post by spyderdog »

I'm wondering how good the new ffg endura is as a slicer. The regular endura did nothing for me with it's grind and fairly thick and short (edge to spine) blade.

I'm looking for a folder to easily pack away with camping gear for food duty. Something fairly inexpensive since I plan on keeping it packed away and only used for that purpose. Considered the stretch, but still not a big fan of the blade shape.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I can tell you it's a night and day difference
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

The FFG G-10 E4 cut through a 2" sprinkler system hose like a breeze for me!

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

The flat grind makes a big difference. It's a real slicer now. I carry mine all the time now.
APS

Post by APS »

Big enough difference that it got me carrying an E4 again!

As an example, cutting slices off of an apple moving the blade towards your thumb in a reverse grip, the regular blade E4 required so much force it was dangerous.
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I'm looking for a folder to easily pack away with camping gear for food duty. Something fairly inexpensive since I plan on keeping it packed away and only used for that purpose. Considered the stretch, but still not a big fan of the blade shape.
The Centofante 3 with its thin blade (2mm only, if I remember well) is very good at food duty.
unit

Post by unit »

The Endura 4 FFG may have been the worst decision Spyderco ever made. This knife performs on par with some of the much more expensive offerings (such as the Military that I am so fond of).

Truly a remarkable knife and perhaps even more remarkable when paired with ZDP-189. Add to that the VASTLY under-rated lock and fantastic versatility of a 4 clip position, and you simply must have one.

Just kidding about the "worst decision" thing, but there is a hint of truth in that I have stopped buying Militaries and started buying up Enduras.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't know if the FFG on the endura will work for me the way I use my regular E4. I sometimes dig around mango tree roots with it and cut off diseased roots. I also use the tip with some bamboo work on my nipa(thatched roof) and bamboo hut. I'd like the slicing power but I also need a robust blade. Maybe I should just try how it works for me. That's how I have to convince my wife.
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

It's definitely two different camps. So many people seem so caught up on FFG. I do prefer it's looks and overall slicing, but they are nowhere as robust as the scandi-grind for hard use. If I'm going to be slicing alot of things I'll choose one of my FFG knives, otherwise if there is a chance the blade will be twisting or a little prying I'll pick a hollow or scandi. Guess that's why I like to carry two knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That's probably because most people's EDC tasks are just cutting and slicing. I would think that only a relatively small percentage use their knives hard. Maybe that is what a lot of customers want and so this trend towards lighter and less hard use folders.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Pacific Salt is also a great choice for what you stated.

- best wishes, Jazz,
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't like pinned construction and no liners.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knives are meant to cut things not pry and dig.

If you want a knife to do that buy a Manix2 for $65 and beat the bejezus out of it. It's FAR tougher than any Endura or Delica with a saber grind ever was...you can literally chop and baton with it. For half the price something with a hollow grind like the Flight or Crossbill are tanks (albeit, slightly less tanky than the M2).

For the fancy folks something like a Gayle Bradley seems extremely robust.

Better yet, buy a garden trowel ;) . When those chip and rust it doesn't make me cry.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

And that's why I have a manix 2 on order. However, my E4 handles the job well, albeit I need to sharpen often. Unfortunately, we here have to pay MSRP, or If ordering online have to pay through the nose for shipping which brings the price almost to MSRP and risk losing the item to customs. I find the price point of the Endura fits me and I like the robustness of saber grind and screw construction so I can clean it thoroughly when needed. And BTW, I was not asking for a recommendation, I was stating an opinion. For slicing food, I have my tenacious and my military.
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

Blerv wrote:Knives are meant to cut things not pry and dig.

If you want a knife to do that buy a Manix2 for $65 and beat the bejezus out of it. It's FAR tougher than any Endura or Delica with a saber grind ever was...you can literally chop and baton with it. For half the price something with a hollow grind like the Flight or Crossbill are tanks (albeit, slightly less tanky than the M2).

For the fancy folks something like a Gayle Bradley seems extremely robust.

Better yet, buy a garden trowel ;) . When those chip and rust it doesn't make me cry.
If prying and digging happen to be involved in what I'm cutting, then my knife will have to take the beating. My knives are tools and they will be treated as such. They will not be coddled and treated like they are made of glass. Will I pry and twist with the tip of my Military or Sage? Probably not, that is why I carry a beater Delica 4.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

TooSharp wrote:If prying and digging happen to be involved in what I'm cutting, then my knife will have to take the beating. My knives are tools and they will be treated as such. They will not be coddled and treated like they are made of glass. Will I pry and twist with the tip of my Military or Sage? Probably not, that is why I carry a beater Delica 4.
Beaters for the win.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:And BTW, I was not asking for a recommendation, I was stating an opinion. For slicing food, I have my tenacious and my military.
Post Deleted: Why even bother?

Have fun with you knives. Do what makes you happy and buy extras of what you like. I hope that didn't sound like a recommendation.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Blerv wrote:If you want a knife to do that buy a Manix2 for $65[...]
Wow, where are you buying your Manixs? :D Cheapest I've found is $74 on Amazon.com. A point in the direction to the cheaper site would be much appreciated. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Simsmac wrote:Wow, where are you buying your Manixs? :D Cheapest I've found is $74 on Amazon.com. A point in the direction to the cheaper site would be much appreciated. ;)
I think I just got lucky with the first shipment on Ebay. It might have been closer to $68 with shipping. :)
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Blerv wrote:I think I just got lucky with the first shipment on Ebay. It might have been closer to $68 with shipping. :)
Ah, darn it. I now see a couple for around $70 on Ebay, but I'd rather just spend a couple extra dollars so I don't have to deal with the potentially shady goings-on of Ebay...