Nested compression lock in a small G-10 folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Nested compression lock in a small G-10 folder?

Post by dj moonbat »

After obsessively scanning through Spyderco's catalog, I notice that the Military and Paramilitary use the same trick to save weight: rather than use a traditional steel liner, they've simply got a trough for a lock bar machined straight into the G-10 slab.

I've got no use at all for a knife as big as even the Para, since my local jurisdiction (Los Angeles) has an ordinance concerning knives over 3". So I'm wondering: is there technical barrier to pulling the same trick on a smaller folder? Pretty much, I've decided that something the size of the UKPK or the Urban, with a compression lock machined into the G-10, would be the ultimate 21st century gent's folder -- light and secure.

I know that size itself isn't really the issue, since the "S" has a nested compression lock. (I'd buy an S, except it's kind of. . .ummm. . .odd.) [EDIT: Also, the S and the Salsa have very high carrying pocket clips. I could have gotten over the odd, but that was a bridge too far.] But has Spyderco looked into putting a compression lock into a G-10 gent's folder and nixed the idea, or just never got around to thinking about it?