Opening the folder...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Flickopening or Not?

Flick
32%
Not Flick
68%

Total votes: 111

Lord Bear

Opening the folder...

Post by Lord Bear »

On a new folder, I put a drop of Tuff-Glide (on either side) and open/close several times and wipe off excess. Let dry(cure?). So far it's worked great. I've never had to Loctite a pivot yet in many years of folder usage.
Since folders are tools (and toys also I confess), not weapons, I prefer a deliberate, smooth opening that SNAPS(!) open. Usually on most folders I tighten down the pivot screw further than it comes "out of the box". For years I did that.
Then I saw the Youtube videos demonstrating various "opening moves". "Flicking" I believe they are called. Hadda try it!
Before I tried flickopening with just the thumb I prudently loosened the pivot screw on a couple of Spydies. Worked Great! Thumbsup! (I confess I was doing this in front of a mirror :cool: )
Then I picked up a third folder and did it again.
Oops!
No loose pivot!
Blade stops moving 3/4 of the way open and the ball of my thumb ploughs right into the edge when said thumb, slips out of contact with the Spyderhole! Faint scar still visible under strong light and at the right angle.
So. For me...IMHO, no more flicking.

Edit .....By loose pivot, I mean closer to out of the box "drag" when opening folder.
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

instead of flipping the blade outward. try flipping upward using the spyderhole
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Since I learned to flick with my thumb, it became a natural and only way to do. Just yesterday I was showing my employee (new to knife) how to open my Military, I tried to do it slowly so I use the "proper" way, it felt awkward and not quite a smooth motion, talk about weird lol
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Every time I open my knife and someone sees me do it they always want to try it however they flick there wrist like they are trying to crack a whip. I show them I am simple flicking my thumb like giving a thumbs up. They never do it of course I tell them I have been doing it my whole life so I have some practice. I tell them to get them self a spyderco and practice. One of the guys at my work got one I actually just got done sharpening it for him.
Lord Bear

Hmmm...

Post by Lord Bear »

I am suspecting the Spyderhole as compared to a thumbstud may be more conducive to "flicking"?
S'what I noticed when I tried it. (More for the tip of thumb to grab onto.)
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Yep, I use my thumb in the spydie hole and give it the "thumbs up" instead
of flicking my wrist. Most people think I'm using an auto because there's
hardly any wrist movement. I think the hole works better then a stud.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I used to flick(inertial opening) my folders. I don't anymore.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I, too, used to flick my Spydies, until I was educated as to the problems with doing that in the long term. Then of course I remembered this is the same reason why you dont flick closed a revolver cylinder - it looks good on TV, but its not good for the gun! OK, I still flick my Spin open, but figure theres not much blade weight there to accelerate stop pin wear...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

I did for the longest time. Then I stopped.-- it's just not worth the heavy wear it puts on the knife. Besides, unless you're in a SD situation, the extra second or two to just open it normally isn't going to be a big deal.

O.K... I admit it. I sometimes DO flick it open. Usually it's just because I did it for so long that I don't think about it, but it's slowly stopping nowadays.
may it not be tricksy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Kuolema wrote:I did for the longest time. Then I stopped.-- it's just not worth the heavy wear it puts on the knife. Besides, unless you're in a SD situation, the extra second or two to just open it normally isn't going to be a big deal.

O.K... I admit it. I sometimes DO flick it open. Usually it's just because I did it for so long that I don't think about it, but it's slowly stopping nowadays.
In an SD situation where you're all jazzed up with adrenaline, it is to easy to lose your grip on your knife when you flick it hard, especially when your hands are sweaty. Use a deliberate motion keeping as much skin in contact with the handle of the knife. The deployment method that you are most familiar with, is the least likely one for you to fumble.

Unless you have practiced extensively using a spidey drop or flicking in a SD training scenario, use the most familiar method of deployment.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I see flicking as both less reliable and potentially more abusive to the knife. Assuming it works, the gain in speed over simply placing the ball of your thumb firmly in the Spyderhole and rotating the blade open is extremely slight. And, while I don't advocate coddling those who live in fear of edged tools, I see no need to give them ammunition either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Typically flicking open a knife is not for me.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

To me, being able and comfortable in flicking is an asset. during daily use any standard opening will suffice, but if you did need the blade in a hurry then you could flick. My millie is a great flicker but i dont all the time.
unit

Post by unit »

I find I can push the knife open (no flick) just as fast. Regardless sometimes I flick sometimes not. I use about 5 different types of deployment and use what suits me and the situation.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

No flick.

I either thumb it open or do a Spyderdrop.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

Does flicking it really wear it out more I have a delica that is at least 10 years old and it seems fine. With me always flicking it open.
Lord Bear

Post by Lord Bear »

Pneumothorax wrote:I, too, used to flick my Spydies, until I was educated as to the problems with doing that in the long term. Then of course I remembered this is the same reason why you dont flick closed a revolver cylinder - it looks good on TV, but its not good for the gun! OK, I still flick my Spin open, but figure theres not much blade weight there to accelerate stop pin wear...
Good point that concerning the revolver cylinder! Thanks for pointing that out.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I open one handed quite a bit, but do so only if the motion feels smooth and natural. The Sage is very good for that. I never feel the urge to flick though. Most times 2 handed opening is fine for me. Then again, I'm not a tactical user.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can't stand when knives are flicked open in front of NKP's. Makes us look bad, bad, bad. I once gave a guy I worked with a D3 and showed him how to Spyderdrop it - well, that's all he did all day long and he looked like a psyco doing it - stupid ***. I spyderdrop if the situation calls for it, but I'll even use :eek: two :eek: hands to open my knives sometimes in front of others. We don't need any more bad vibes. The Spyderco hole is the most secure and sure opening there is, so flicking is pointless. Don't even get me started on flippers and assisted openers...

- best wishes, Jazz.
APS

Post by APS »

No flicking for me. I was not nor will I ever be cool.