Cpm vg-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

Cpm vg-10

Post by druid »

is this steel ever likely to be produced. Given of its history with spider come. And it's fine-grained attributes it might be interesting.
why
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Since CPM (Crucible) steels are made by a U.S. company, and VG-10 is made by a Japanese company (Hitachi?), then I doubt it likely to happen. But stranger cross-licensing deals have happened before...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MCM

Post by MCM »

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
cckw

Post by cckw »

I'm only kinda into those details. But I think CPM is about getting (to make it simple) very even distribution of the ingredients of that steel formula. Seems like VG-10 isn't so prone to issues with that like say D2. So not just the competitor issue but the cost vs gain I don't think would be there.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My understanding is VG10 has amazing polish and grain structure already they just don't use the terminology.
THG

Post by THG »

CPM stands for "Crucible Powdered Metallurgy," the process by which Crucible produces their powdered steels.

I think I remember Mr. Ed Schempp saying at the Shot Show (Nutnfancy's coverage) that VG-10 is a powdered steel. So my guess is that VG-10 is already something like CPM, except not the "Crucible-branded" process.

If any of that is wrong, please correct me. I'm not an expert.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

VG-10 is made by Takefu Special Steel Company Ltd, in Takefu Japan.
They also make VG-1 (Cold Steel's preferred stainless).

That being said, I guess Crucible could make their own VG-10. I doubt they could name it the same, but it depends if they could offer a better price.

Generally, I assume its cheaper to buy Japanese steel, despite the price of shipping the knives back here.
THG

Post by THG »

HotSoup wrote:That being said, I guess Crucible could make their own VG-10. I doubt they could name it the same, but it depends if they could offer a better price.
Isn't that pretty much 154CM? From everywhere I hear, they say that VG-10 is a Japanese, slightly more stainless 154CM.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Am I the only one not getting the purpose of the mall ninja photo that was posted in this thread?
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Isn't that pretty much 154CM? From everywhere I hear, they say that VG-10 is a Japanese, slightly more stainless 154CM"

154CM is the US version of ATS-34 as I recall.

So, if VG10 is the powdered version of ATS-34, CPM154 might be its match.

But I would not bet on it.

"Am I the only one not getting the purpose of the mall ninja photo that was posted in this thread? "

I wondered how long it would take. There is no purpose.
Aside from the Japan/US mixture.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Mark, you look different with that Ninja costume on. :D
cckw

Post by cckw »

mikerestivo wrote:Am I the only one not getting the purpose of the mall ninja photo that was posted in this thread?
My assumption was the person who posted that was saying that CPM is a fashionable thing in the knife world right now. so the two (VG10 & CPM) must be combined whether it is applicable or not.

How did I do? You should hear me at an Art Gallery or snobbish wine tasting. As long as you used big word everyone agrees with you and thinks you are a genius :)
sal

Post by sal »

VG-10 is an ingot steel, not a powdered steel.

It's got a very refined grain structure and with the addition of Cobalt, even more so.

I'm not sure there would be much benefit to making a powdered version because the alloying elements are not extraordinarily high in content. The good performance is the result of the "right mix".

N690Co would be the closest to VG-10 in chemistry and performance.

sal
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Thanks, Sal.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree, thanks Sal.

Everyone loves VG10 as a do-all steel.

But we seldom hear much about its make up.

I assumed actual data was not released, like other steels.
Secret ingredients....... etc......

How hard does Spyderco take VG-10? 57-58?

From manufacturer's website:

VG-10 is a unique formulation of steel with a high carbon content. It contains various amounts of one or more of the following: Chromium, Vanadium, Molybdenum and Cobalt. High-quality kitchen cutlery, such as chef's knives, is usually made of VG-10. VG-10 is considered a "super steel," because it is designed to maintain sharpness and durability without becoming brittle, a major fault normally associated with exceptionally hard steel. This quality is ideal when extreme sharpness is desired, as most other steels will not take or keep an edge like VG-10. When this type of steel is used in a knife, it is normally encased in layers of steel providing greater corrosion-resistance, leaving only the "super steel" exposed at the edge for fine cutting.

VG-10 chemical makeup:

Carbon:1.0% Chromium:15.0% Molybdenum:1.0% V:0.2% Cobalt:1.5%
VG-10 should not be confused with VG-1 stainless steel.

"Mark, you look different with that Ninja costume on. "

Costume?
druid

Post by druid »

obviously not a very well thought-out question on my part, but very good answers. I am kind of happy to be mail ninja never thought of myself that way, a whole new aspect of my personality to explore :p :confused: :) '' sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right''sublime.
why
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Druid,

We're all teachers and we're all students.

Hi MCM,

We like to keep VG-10 in the 59/60 range.

FYI, Spyderco was the first company to introduce VG-10 which was done with the Moran fixed blade many years ago. ('95'?) For many years we were the only company using the steel.

sal
druid

Post by druid »

Thanks Sal I rember that Morgan infact I have an old lether sheth versen
why