Got my Captains today

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmackey

Got my Captains today

Post by Shmackey »

Whelp, my Captains arrived today. (I figured I'd love the knife so I saved some time and bought two.) This is one nicely conceived and nicely made knife. Some thoughts, in no particular order:

*This is an archetypical "small big knife." One of the ways I keep my Spydie collection under control is to get only models that are <3.5" so I can carry them everywhere. This one is well under that mark but somehow doesn't look like it and certainly doesn't behave like it.

*I don't normally use a "drop" opening because I prefer a method that's repeatable every time with every knife under every condition. So I normally go with "stick thumb in hole; move blade." The Captain is by far the most drop-open-able Spyderco I've had--more so than the Millie, even. It could change my mind.

*Anyone who thinks it's not a daily-use knife because of the shape hasn't tried one. That bottom point where the recurve hits the front is perfect for cutting through packaging tape. And while the very tip of the Captain might not look very "pointy," I would very much not want to get stuck with it. :)

*G10 and VG-10 are perfect for this knife. They're high-quality but utilitarian. The G10 in particular is really nice, with a tight grain that's grippy but not abrasive.

*Room for improvement:

-Change the lock. The liner lock seems well made. One of my Captains locks up all the way to the left; the other locks up just a millimeter farther. That being said, it's out of place on this knife, which otherwise just screams "heavy duty." Ideally I'd make it a framelock like the Sage 2. Between that and the interesting blade grind, it would be a great competitor to you-know-who. A Compression Lock would be another good choice. I keep finding myself trying to close the Captain like I close the Para.

-Lose the semi-swedge or commit to it. The rectangular semi-swedge up top is interesting at first but is really just pointless decoration (unusual for a Spyderco). The blade would look even more stout if it were solid up top; alternatively, it should run all the way to the tip as a false edge. I know the marketing copy says the rectangular grind saves weight, but (1) in practice it's a few grams and (2) it's not as if the knife is very heavy in the first place.

-Add jimping to the steel liners right behind the jimping on the blade itself.

-Break the edges of the steel liners all around. They are "1999 Benchmade sharp." Easily fixed if you know how, of course.

-Offer a version with a serrated recurve area. I'm not normally a serrated guy, but this knife would be great with a serrated recurve. That area is already less convenient to sharpen anyway, and you'd still have the front part for regular cutting.

Bottom line: I didn't think I could find a knife with the potential to bump the Ocelot from my pocket. It might have happened.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Its a great knife man congrats! I just got one this past week, I love it. Its definately an under appreciated knife. Its one to stand out in the collection for sure.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Grats on the Captains :) ! I love mine too.

The reason for the partial swedge is it's Breeden's trademark. His Rescue will feature the same swedge. Similar to the small Spyderco hole in fixed blades I don't think it will be changing.
JD Spydo

SD Jewell

Post by JD Spydo »

Congrats on a great knife purchase. I truly think it's the best self defense folder Spyderco has done in quite a few years.

I just still hold out hope that they will someday make one with Spyderedge being on the curvature part. That is one extremely awesome knife.

Long live the C-111 Captain model.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
unit

Post by unit »

I bet that liner lock is a lot more heavy duty than you think.

I hear it a lot that people think that liner locks are not heavy duty, but I can assure you that if they are well made (and I think yours probably is) they will handle more than a folding knife probably should.

Glad you are happy with the design. It is a unique look that has a lot of functionality.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Congrats with you captains,it truly is an underestimated knife.They are very functional and versatile.I got one last year at the blade show and i`m I did,enjoy. :)
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Anywhere still have these in stock, or do you need the secondary market? Tried to get one a while back but failed.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

monsterdog wrote:Anywhere still have these in stock, or do you need the secondary market? Tried to get one a while back but failed.
They can be found on ebay and a few other places.Here is one.http://www.combattactical.com/syderco-c ... -5473.html
phaust

Post by phaust »

FWIW, I remember reading on here the 'swedge' up top was for weight reduction.