S30V vs. ZDP 189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
muffcook

ZDP189 vs S30V

Post by muffcook »

Hello:
New to this forum, I stumbled upon it during an internet search gathering information on steels for a knife I am planning to have made.

The depth and breadth of my knife experience does not rise to the level of most forum participants. However, I do still have the "sheath" knife my grandfather passed to my father. He stood pretty tall in my eyes. He was a Marine during WWI, and he never left any doubt about what being an American meant to him.

Later in life I began to think of him as something of a renaissance man. As refined as he was I don't ever remember him encountering a situation he could not handle, including making his own purpose built knives with blades from sections of power hacksaw blades used to steel to length. He used the knives to cut osmunda bark, which in turn he used in his hobby growing orchids. Those 2 knives now hang in their rack on the wall over my bench and are still shaving sharp.

It was his interest and abilities with blades that initially inspired me to look beyond the knife offerings of the local hardware store, and led me to order (3) matching Randall made knives for my father, brother, and myself in 1967 when I was in the army during Viet Nam. Those knives seemed pretty costly on PFC wages at the time! My brother and I still have ours and my father's now belongs to my son, who was named after my grandfather.

Although I have always been intrigued by good knives, I have always been more of a tool for me than something I collected. However, I also learned from my grandfather that superb tools are far better than mediocre tools! They do their job better, last longer, and cost less in the long term.

Since my Randall days I have had a couple more knives ordered, one of which I gave to my son as a college graduation present. All of them except the early Randall (which I don't really use very much) have blades of either 154CM or ATS34. They all hold edges better than the Randall, and are also more difficult to sharpen. The knife I use the most is a skinner made by Harold Corby in Tennessee of 154CM.

When I decided to have another knife made I wanted to review the current developments in steels being used, and hence my search on the internet. My requirements were fairly simple: I wanted a fairly large knife with enough heft, and blade qualities that would allow me to handle general camp tasks (including camp cook duties), break down an elk so it could be hauled out of a kill site, cut and split wood if I got caught away from camp, and use for skinning if I forgot to bring a more appropriate knife along.

The steels I was looking at included O1, D2, S30V, VG10, and ZDP189. All I wanted was a tool I could use to peel a grape, make sushi, spread cheese, or harvest ebony . . . no such thing, of course.

I read through all 9 pages of this thread leading up to the point that I decided to join and make an entry. After 9 pages, I remain undecided on a choice of blade steel (where I have limited experience), but found out quite a bit about sandwiches (where I am something of an expert . . . a Reuben with coleslaw is not a Reuben).

Unfortunately, I discovered that the most prominent topic of discussion was whose knowledge and/or opinions were significant. Much of the banter detracted from the meaningful content of the thread. Some of it actually ran outside of the guidelines that must be agreed to when registering to the forum. (Reference: Do not post any "Content" that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, or racially or ethnically hateful including that pertaining to sexual orientation.)

Although Vasilli's approach seemed generally abrasive, it seems that the high road to take when facing such interchange would be to simply ignore it rather then join in a protracted head bumping match that brings everyone involved down to the same low level. Unfortunate, since the information content becomes buried in the rubble.

Having said that, if anyone would care to add objective comments on blade steels for a knife such as I describe that would be expected to take and hold a scary sharp edge, but also might be called upon to see heavy use if circumstances dictated, I would greatly appreciate the input. It was, after all, the reason I came to the thread!

Oh, and I understand the reality that compromises are a necessity in everything life brings us . . . except one.
muffcook
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Thanks for the good read and reasonable prolepses. As you have no doubt discovered, blade steel critiques and praises are extremely subjective. I am not a metallurgist, but have used/owned enough blades to know what I like and don't like. What has attracted me to your question is that you seem to want a knife for much the same purposes I do, and your expectations are very reasonable.

Personally, I really like working with O-1 and D-2. They are without a doubt the two steels I most prefer to work with in both fabricating and maintaining. IMHO, O-1 will take a bit keener edge, but D-2 wins out in rust resistance (although you no doubt know it isn't 'stainless' in the typical definition of the term). The other steels you mention are awesome, and for a folder I've really come to appreciate/prefer S90V and ZDP-189.

You can't go wrong with any of the steels you mentioned; but for me, if I was camping in the backcountry (as I often am) I'd have a good size fixed-blade blade made of O-1 or D-2 (as I often do). That said, in this type of situation, I also carry a folder that's typically made of VG-10, S30V, ZDP-189, or S90V. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with pretty much any steel Spyderco uses.

I know this is only one guy's opinion, but I hope it helps.
TBob

Post by TBob »

My recommendation for a fixed-blade camp knife would be CPM S30v. While ZDP-189 is my favorite for a daily-use folder, it is more difficult to grind and isn't stainless. S30v is a purpose-designed steel for knives, holds a great edge for a good while. I think that a fixed-blade in S30v will serve you well.

If you're not worried about stainless, then CPM M4 would also be a good choice. It's a powdered version of a tough tool steel. I use my Gayle Bradley folder with that blade for outside work.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

muffcook wrote:When I decided to have another knife made I wanted to review the current developments in steels being used, and hence my search on the internet. My requirements were fairly simple: I wanted a fairly large knife with enough heft, and blade qualities that would allow me to handle general camp tasks (including camp cook duties), break down an elk so it could be hauled out of a kill site, cut and split wood if I got caught away from camp, and use for skinning if I forgot to bring a more appropriate knife along.

The steels I was looking at included O1, D2, S30V, VG10, and ZDP189. All I wanted was a tool I could use to peel a grape, make sushi, spread cheese, or harvest ebony . . . no such thing, of course.

Having said that, if anyone would care to add objective comments on blade steels for a knife such as I describe that would be expected to take and hold a scary sharp edge, but also might be called upon to see heavy use if circumstances dictated, I would greatly appreciate the input. It was, after all, the reason I came to the thread!

Oh, and I understand the reality that compromises are a necessity in everything life brings us . . . except one.
muffcook
I'm hardly an expert, but since the tasks you list include chopping wood and possibly jointing a large animal, you're probably better off with a tool steel than stainless. O-1 may be long in the tooth, but it works well enough that Spyderco chose it for their Bushcraft. D-2 also has a following. Both work well for the purposes you list. So, I'm sure, do a number of other steels. To me, I'd rather have the knife that fits my hand well and is comfortable to use, in a steel that may rank 2nd or even 10th out of the "top 50" than the steel 20 experts think is the absolute best for a specific task in a knife that's a less perfect "fit".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!