S30V vs. ZDP 189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

nozh2002 wrote:I see this desperate effort to make this thread closed...

Well, I still wait apologies from "Special Project Coordinator" and comments from Sal.

Thanks, Vassili.
He's a moderator here you arrogant ***. He was responding to the political BS you posted here, which I (and possibly others) reported using the REPORT POST function since it was a clear violation of forum rules. He owes you NOTHING.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Well, I still wait apologies from "Special Project Coordinator" and comments from Sal.

Thanks, Vassili.
Have you considered taking up fishing?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

JNewell wrote:Have you considered taking up fishing?
You get a lot fewer bug bites while trolling.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

SaturnNyne wrote:Wow, that really does look good! I always learn something or get new ideas during our sandwich talks.
You have no idea. The reuben is one of those foods that, if I were OK with becoming morbidly obese, I could eat every day and never tire of. (Also, I love me a good burrito.)
bdbender

Post by bdbender »

The General wrote:However, we are comparing Spyderco S30V and ZDP189 so I stand by my statements regarding Spyderco S30V and ZDP189.

In fact ZDP189 can take an angle of 15 degree's per side and hold up better than S30V does. This seems to be born out in testing. I know my UKPK at 15 degree's per side likes to micro chip and my ZDP189 Caly's have had no issues at all and they are incredibly sharp.
My S30V UKPK at 15 degrees microchips, too, darn it. I've gone to a Delica ZDP at 15 degrees for EDC. The ergonomics are just fine, even in comparison with the Caly3, and the more pointy blade shape works better for me than the Sage's fat leaf. As others have noted many times, diamond sharpens ZDP easily. Kind of amusing to go back to a Delica, where I started out 20+/- years ago, but with bolsters, screws, and a much better blade.
The General

Post by The General »

Thanks, Vassili.
Tin foil hat needed. :rolleyes:

Oh and regarding Sandwiches when I stayed with friends in NJ a few years back I was made a packed lunch for my trip home. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Never had it before and they were lovely!

I ended up eating them at Boston airport waiting for my flight to Blighty.

Peanut butter for the win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_qGMfb ... re=related
My real name is Wayne :D
JaM

Post by JaM »

Sometimes I miss this forum, sometimes I dont. Having red this thread and then discovering it was all about the peanut-butter, made it al good fortunately. :D

I still like the CPM-S30V knives I have though, and the ones with other steel(s).
Although I too have some difficulty sharpening ZDP-189. It seems my Opinels are far easier to sharpen... Dunno why but it seems I'm doing something wrong.
As an aside, I don't understand why it is so hard for people to use proper English (or American) on an English (or American) forum, from a language point of view.

Anyway: goodnight all, and thanks for the information AND the good laugh at the end. :) I needed it.
sal

Post by sal »

Man, I had to go through this entire thread just to be able to make intelligent comments. Really cuts into my testing, R&D and design time.

Hi Vassili,

I don't know what you would like for me to say?

Seems like there is disagreement that escalated to accusations, cole slaw and peanut butter.

Different opinions are good. Each explored offers greater understanding. We all teach and we all learn.....as a forum should be. We may disagree which is likely because we don't have equal knowledge. Dialogue is used to share that knowledge.

I don't agree with some of your conclusions. I'm not so arrogant or self centered to say that I am right and you are wrong. Our testing provides different conclusions than your testing. There are too many variables in comparing our methods to come to absolute conclusions.

sal
TBob

Post by TBob »

sal,

Spoken as a true gentleman. Thanks for the great writeup on knife steels in the catalogs. Great, non-technical summary.

Cole slaw and peanut butter...never tried that combination.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

sal wrote:Man, I had to go through this entire thread just to be able to make intelligent comments. Really cuts into my testing, R&D and design time.

Hi Vassili,

I don't know what you would like for me to say?

Seems like there is disagreement that escalated to accusations, cole slaw and peanut butter.

Different opinions are good. Each explored offers greater understanding. We all teach and we all learn.....as a forum should be. We may disagree which is likely because we don't have equal knowledge. Dialogue is used to share that knowledge.

I don't agree with some of your conclusions. I'm not so arrogant or self centered to say that I am right and you are wrong. Our testing provides different conclusions than your testing. There are too many variables in comparing our methods to come to absolute conclusions.

sal
I am not talking about who is righ and who is wrong. I was attacked personaly here based on my national origin ("shue bang" remarks) and this was not stopped but rather repeated by "Spyderco Special Project Coordinator" in post #80.

I think you replaying on my post #97 and there it was all sad.

I am simple wondering if you are OK with this after all I assume he reports to you.

Thanks, Vassili.
The General

Post by The General »

Sal, I don't think being subtle or anything less than in your face direct gets through to this guy.

Vassili, you are in a hole (for the umpteenth time) stop digging.

Apologise for annoying everyone with your attitude and settle down. Start showing a little respect for others and try to contribute without saying everyone else is wrong.

Then people might start to respect your opinions. Having different opinions is fine, Sal likes that people discuss different opinions but it is his house and doing it via dialogue in a productive and measured manner is the order of the day.

In short, argue your point of view but do so with manners.

Just a bit of friendly advice as you are not going down a very productive road.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

bdbender wrote:My S30V UKPK at 15 degrees microchips, too, darn it.
That surprises me a little. I assume you mean 30 inclusive, which is what they generally ship with? Is it possible that it could be a case of the steel at the edge being fatigued and needing to get through to fresh steel, as I think I've heard mentioned before? I was nervous about S30 for years because of the chipping reputation it earned at the beginning, but now that I've used it my fears have been allayed, I've never experienced anything that I know as chipping on it. Sorry to hear it's not working well for you.

The General wrote:Oh and regarding Sandwiches when I stayed with friends in NJ a few years back I was made a packed lunch for my trip home. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Never had it before and they were lovely!
Never had peanut butter and jelly! I once met another person who had never tried a PBJ and it truly saddened my heart. I hadn't thought it possible to grow up without them! Glad they eventually found you.

JaM wrote:Sometimes I miss this forum, sometimes I dont. Having red this thread and then discovering it was all about the peanut-butter, made it al good fortunately. :D
Of course JaM enjoys discussion of peanut butter. ;)

sal wrote:Man, I had to go through this entire thread just to be able to make intelligent comments. Really cuts into my testing, R&D and design time.
:( I was really hoping you wouldn't get dragged into this, but I'm impressed that you're so dedicated that you'd divert time to trying to fulfill even such an unreasonable request.

sal wrote:Different opinions are good. Each explored offers greater understanding. We all teach and we all learn.....as a forum should be. We may disagree which is likely because we don't have equal knowledge. Dialogue is used to share that knowledge.

Sal, the world of diplomacy lost a fine voice when you turned to knives. :)

Unfortunately...
The General wrote:Sal, I don't think being subtle or anything less than in your face direct gets through to this guy.
And even that is often a waste of breath, as we learned a few times over during the Great Warranty Debacle.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vassili,

Mike didn't do anything that he needs to apologise for.

As I am also one with Russian Heritage, I don't think that any insult was intended.

sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Geez, sal, you are the most level-headed Internet Guy ever.

UPDATE: ...as if I didn't already have enough reasons to become a :spyder: loyalist
The General

Post by The General »

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Thanks, General; that was a nice interlude.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We should start a thread comparing Apples to Oranges and then demand responses from Sunkist and TreeTop's management teams.

Any takers? TreeTop is soooo going down!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Vassili:

It's unfortunate that you considered the "shoe banging" reference an insult to your Russian heritage. However, compared to the inflammatory tone of your posts, it was a very innocuous comment.

I chose to delete a portion of your post because it was overtly offensive and also included profanity. As a moderator on this forum, that is both my authority and my responsibility. If I ever overstep the bounds of my authority, I am sure that Sal and my other supervisors here at Spyderco will hold me accountable for my actions.

I will not apologize for doing my job.

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:We should start a thread comparing Apples to Oranges and then demand responses from Sunkist and TreeTop's management teams.

Any takers? TreeTop is soooo going down!
I will participate only if we get to do things like disparage imported fruit and test their flavor by hurling them at walls. :D
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

JNewell wrote:I will participate only if we get to do things like disparage imported fruit and test their flavor by hurling them at walls. :D
Nobody could stop us, could they?