Lil' Temp Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmackey

Lil' Temp Sprint Run?

Post by Shmackey »

Did I read about an upcoming Lil' Temp sprint run a couple of weeks ago? Or am I imagining things?
2cha

Post by 2cha »

It was over on BF.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... t=lil+temp
I remember b/c I put my foot in my mouth. :D
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

Ah, OK. I think I'm one of the few who prefer the rhino blade. I certainly would pick up a leaf sprint run, though, as long as Sal keeps it mostly like the original, perhaps with some subtle improvements made possible by changes in production between then and now.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Shmackey wrote:Did I read about an upcoming Lil' Temp sprint run a couple of weeks ago? Or am I imagining things?
Your imagining things, sorta

There has been much talk about a Lil' Temp 2 that will be made in Japan and have a thinner blade and handle. Sal has shot down sprint run talk in the past, saying that they had a number of supplier problems with the Golden Lil' Temp.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

Sequimite wrote:There has been much talk about a Lil' Temp 2 that will be made in Japan and have a thinner blade and handle.
I'll take one of those too. :)
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Japan and thinner blade just won't work for me. I have had too many disappointments with Seki-made Spydercos lately. As for the thinner everything concept, well, it is not a Lil' Temp anymore.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You guys should really read Sal's thread. Most of the "thinner" talk is related to the handle so it's shaped more like a thin Superhawk (eg: no hump).

If it's the same maker that did the Superhawk I wouldn't be hesitant. Fit and finish on mine is extremely impressive.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Blerv wrote:You guys should really read Sal's thread. Most of the "thinner" talk is related to the handle
There was talk about the thinner blade as well. I like thinner blades, but the 4mm LT 3" blade was very distinctive. If memory serves, the LT2 will have a 3mm VG-10 blade.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

The thick blade is nice, and I'd rather it stayed how it was, but it's not a dealbreaker. I'd be more concerned if the handle shape were to change, as it would no longer be the same knife.

I sure would like a rhino one....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed on the Rhino part.

I think most people would like the 4mm blade. I'd rather see it with a high-hollow grind if so because it would likely be a much better SD combo (See Chinook 1/2 per Doc's tests).

4mm and FFG is a nice combo it's just a bit thick. That's not saying it wouldn't cut but I'm not planning on killing T-Rex's with it and don't need that much edge thickness. ;)
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

VG-10 would also be a step backwards. I have two original Lil' Temps and I would need a good reason to pick up one of the newer version.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Why is VG10 a step backwards? I think of it as a step in a different direction.
The Mastiff posted CATRA testing results showing better edge retention for S30v but it wasn't higher than about 20% if my memory serves.

I know S30v likes to chip and VG10 doesn't. Neither really matters for a knife that's meant as a tactical tool. My Be-Wharned is AUS8 and is one of the sharpest blades I own (it was also $65).

I'd rather have them pin down a location and the materials and start building a knife rather than throw my opinions in the hat and delay the process. I trust their judgment and manufacturer relations above my own. I don't need to tell them what the premium and exotic steels are because they are testing ones I don't know exist yet. :p
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Speaking of the Lil Temp 2 losing the character of the original, I forgot to point out that the LT is the only Spyderco in dark green G10 and the LT2 will be black.

Insert pro dark green G10 rant here:
phaust

Post by phaust »

I wasn't around when the original came out, so I have less stock in keeping with the original design, but honestly I'd rather have black over dark green and VG10 over S30V. Seeing the pictures here and there, I think it looks like a cool design, so I'm pretty excited to pick one up!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote:Speaking of the Lil Temp 2 losing the character of the original, I forgot to point out that the LT is the only Spyderco in dark green G10 and the LT2 will be black.

Insert pro dark green G10 rant here:
Dark green was a big plus for me, as well as US made.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I do not want to seem to be ranting here, but the only reason I would buy any resuscitated model is if it adds something to the original version. For example a better steel or CF scales.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

LorenzoL wrote:I do not want to seem to be ranting here, but the only reason I would buy any resuscitated model is if it adds something to the original version. For example a better steel or CF scales.
I am one of the few that consider CF a step in the wrong direction. To me it just raises the price of the knife and besides cosmetics the strength of the CF is completely unnecessary. CF is something that belongs on race cars and sports equipment; items under heavy stress.
In omnia paratus
bh49

Post by bh49 »

BananaBoy_S4 wrote:I am one of the few that consider CF a step in the wrong direction. To me it just raises the price of the knife and besides cosmetics the strength of the CF is completely unnecessary. CF is something that belongs on race cars and sports equipment; items under heavy stress.
+1
You certainly not alone.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd like to see the Little Temp in VG-10 or, if we want to stay American made, 154CM. Leaf Blade and the Handle design were fine on the original, though slimming up the handle would be fine. Original Pocketclip would need to go though - it was a clothing eater.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm lucky enough to have a Lil' Temp 1 and love it for what it is, but I'm interested to see the differences in the "2". Things will be changed and I hope the changes are improvements, but only time will tell.

As a summary, thinner, lighter, VG-10 and G-10 all sound fine. I'd like to retain the old pocket clip for it's pure functionality (and it never ate my pockets), but nearly everyone else hated them. I also really like the green G-10 on the originals, but once again I seem to be in the minority on that.

I don't expect the "2" to be the same knife and plan on appreciating the knives as unique individuals. Not the same, not necessarily better or worse, just different.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...