Pygmy Warrior and Pocket Hobbit?!?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Detroit

Pygmy Warrior and Pocket Hobbit?!?

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Hi guys, has anyone heard about a production Pocket Hobbit and Pygmy Warrior from Spyderco? I tried to pry some information out of Mike Sastre but he is tight lipped about anything new. I love these designs and have a couple friends who covet my REKAT Pocket Hobbit. I would LOVE to get a Spydie version of each. Please someone tell me it's true.
The difference betwwen genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Dont quote me, but I have never heard of either, sorry man!

This is the only warrior ive seen that spyderco produces, is this what your talking about....?
Attachments
warrior.jpg
warrior.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
druid

Post by druid »

I don't think so
why
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Sal and I had the honor of working very closely with Bob Taylor during the research for the Warrior knife book. During that time, we kicked around the idea of adapting some of Bob's other designs to Spyderco production.

I agree that it would be cool and hope it happens. Official word on such things comes from Sal and Eric, though.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I think that would be really awesome. A smaller version would be much more practical in the civilian world IMO, especially if it was nice and flat.
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Thanks for the little ray of hope Mike. I'd love a Pygmy Warrior for Drawpoint work. I trained with you a little while back in Grove City OH. in MBC 1&2. I think you've changed the program a little since then, but I want to re-take 1&2 and then move into the reverse grip work. Hopefully I'll see you again soon.

Chris
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Chris,
Tight lipped because as Sgt. Schultz would say, "I know nothing". Anyway, it wouldn't be my place to add any grist to the rumor mills. If you ask me if I think it'd be cool, the answer is yes on both accounts. I put sheaths on the prototype Pygmy Warriors for REKAT before they closed, and it's a neat little SD fixed blade about the size of a Pocket Hobbit, but thinner in the handle area. Nasty teeth! The PH has a cult following, and if anybody could do a re-issue justice, Spyderco gets my vote, though Pocket Hobbit is a misnomer as it was intended to deploy from a breakfront sheath. REKAT did put some pocket clips on a few when requested. I wouldn't hold my breath on either one, but it is something I'd like to see.
sal

Post by sal »

Well I aint saying nuthin, cept maybe that Bob Was kind enough to let me take the Pygmy Warrior when Mike and I were there, and he sent me a pocket Hobbit. :cool:

sal
JLS

Post by JLS »

The fact that there is a possibility is exciting!

Thanks for saying "nuthin", Sal! :D
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

sal wrote:Well I aint saying nuthin, cept maybe that Bob Was kind enough to let me take the Pygmy Warrior when Mike and I were there, and he sent me a pocket Hobbit. :cool:

sal
I'd love a pocket Hobbit. Please keep the serrations on the back spine.

We've had some great original H-1 fixed blades. I'll be excited to see the first original (not using a delica or endura frame) folder, especially if it's a Pocket Hobbit.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

For not saying nuthin sal you sure said a whole lot.
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

I appreciate the little ray of hope Sal. I would be very happy to see both of these knives come to fruition.
dialex

Pocket Hobbit question

Post by dialex »

Ummm, having double edge won't make this folder illegal? :confused:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

sal wrote:Well I aint saying nuthin, cept maybe that Bob Was kind enough to let me take the Pygmy Warrior when Mike and I were there, and he sent me a pocket Hobbit. :cool:

sal
Sal,

Now that's a teaser if I ever heard one! Cool - maybe I should take back the "don't hold your breath" comment. Since you're teasing, guess I'll just post a couple pictures of the Pocket Hobbit and the H1 Warrior together for size comparison, since the Pygmy is about the size of the PH. Also in the pictures is one of my HD Breakfront sheaths for the Pocket Hobbit - original factory sheaths (not by me) were inconsistent at best, so when REKAT donated some to the 75th Rangers, the HDs went with them. The one in the pictures is on its way to you with a little QT movie of the breakfront draw. Figured since Bob sent you a Pocket Hobbit, you should have the whole package.
Attachments
H1-PH.jpg
H1-PH.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
H1_PH_nkd.jpg
H1_PH_nkd.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
shrpshn

Post by shrpshn »

Mike - That appears to be a great sheath for the Spyderco Warrior.

Do you have any thoughts, or insight into the sheath that ships with the Warrior.

Although I haven't handled your sheath, it sure appears to be superior to the factory sheath.

John
John
SharpShin' Blades
Affordable Knives & Air Guns
Dr. Detroit

Post by Dr. Detroit »

Thanks for the pics Mike. Is that my Spyderco Warrior in that photo?
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

sal
...We're still listin' , Sal! :p

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post548716

...H1, please! :o

take care -d.

Post by 224477 »

Strange, while the fixed blade is a beauty, the folder is **** ugly. The handle needs to be wide, to conceal the double side sharpened edge.. I think a sleeker designer with sleeker blade would be able to do the same job on the field... Lets redesign it!!!!! :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

shrpshn wrote:Mike - That appears to be a great sheath for the Spyderco Warrior.

Do you have any thoughts, or insight into the sheath that ships with the Warrior.

Although I haven't handled your sheath, it sure appears to be superior to the factory sheath.

John

John,

Thanks for the kind words!! I've responded to your question here, so as not to hijack this thread on the possible production of the Pygmy Warrior and Pocket Hobbit. Answer's on page 2.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Mike.

Thanx also for the sheath you sent me. 'Tis beautiful and quite functional.

As to the other models: As some of you know, Spyderco's design and engineeing flow, while consistent and quick from our point of view (small design and engineering staff) seems slow from the outside point of view. This is primarily because I share some of these long term plans early on.

Occassionally we'll release a "secret" design, but we're usually working on many designs over a long period of time and they are released once we're satisfied that we done our job well. the creation and refinement of a new design is, for us, is focused over a period of time.

Sometimes from early conceptions, while we're not far enough along to make any announcements, I try to provide some insight to those interested enough in our company directions to provoke thought. Once we have a completed design, we'll make a "concept model" and show it to customers for feedback. Once we have a prototype that we're pleased with, we'll show photos and make announcements. From there, we still have to go through pilot revisions (often more than one) and manufacturing and material refinement.

Hi 224477,

I remember a conversation that Kit Carson and I had at a Guild show where we were both speakers in a seminar on collaborations with Guild members.

Kit is a vey creative designer and a skilled knifemaker for whom I have upmost respect. (I know of production designs that he was involved with for which he never received any mention).

Some companies like Columbia River create their collaboration designs just as the designer created right down to fine details. This works well for them, their customers and for the designer. Kit is one of those deigners that knows what he wants in a design and doesn't want the factory to make many changes.

This is an interesting observation in the design world. I've seen production designs that were so far removed from the original creation, that it was not recognizable as the original. Changes made for manufacturing, marketing or cost purposes.

Columbia River's customers appreciate the fact that they can get a production replica of the design as it was originally created.

Spyderco on the other hand will generally modify designs. Pocket Clips for example; something we invented and we have many years of experience on what "works" well. Many designers will create a clip that "looks' right on their knife and adds to the appearance of the design. Since our forte and offering is performence oriented, we feel that a clip that "looks good" but doesn't "perform well" will need to be modified to satisfy Spyderco's customers. Sometimes we'll leave the clip as designed by the custom maker or designer, but more often than not we'll modify.

Spyderco's knives will have to include our trademark round hole and this is a design challenge for any designer. There again, we'll usually modify accordingly. Eric and I have many successful designs under our belt with many years of experience working with our customers and we believe we have a "feel" for what might or might not be desired. Of course, we, like any designers aren't always right and have fallen on our faces.

Also, in communicating with our collabortion designers, the collaborator too will often make changes or refinements once we've looked at models closely.

That's one of the reasons that it takes us a long time to bring a new design to market.

sal