Why cage the ball?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmackey

Why cage the ball?

Post by Shmackey »

I've got a Dodo and D'Allara from a while ago, and I just saw that some of the ball-bearing locks now have a plastic cage around them. Howcome? Does it add anything structurally?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Probably to make it easier to unlock with gloves, wet hands, etc.?
Rhiney

Post by Rhiney »

I haven't had a chance to play with the new caged ball design at all...my D'Allara is soooo slick opening and closing -- does the new caged design retain that wonderfully fluid and slick feeling?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Shmackey wrote:I've got a Dodo and D'Allara from a while ago, and I just saw that some of the ball-bearing locks now have a plastic cage around them. Howcome? Does it add anything structurally?
The size of the ball bearing was reduced to reduce the overall width of the knife when closed - one of the predominant complaints on the D'Allara. When the ball was made smaller, the cage was added because you could no longer get a hold of it to unlock the knife.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

Interesting. The Dodo seems very thin to me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think the main reason was that knives with an uncaged ball are difficult to unlock with gloved, cold, wet, or otherwise "tactile sensitivity challenged" fingers.

The opposite question would be, why not? In terms of sales, none of the models with uncaged ball locks have been barn-burners. At the very least, now that the caged ball is being used on something more "mainstream" than the P'kal, it offers Spyderco the opportunity to see which configuration sells best.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The thing that I was initially a little concerned about - but am not any longer - was the durability of the polymer cage. I don't think I've seen a single report of any breakage, and there are plenty of CBL knives out in the field, so it appears to be a non-issue.
APS

Post by APS »

The Deacon wrote:Think the main reason was that knives with an uncaged ball are difficult to unlock with gloved, cold, wet, or otherwise "tactile sensitivity challenged" fingers.
That makes sense. I tried a Manix2 and was unable to release the lock with one hand like I could with my D'allara. I only tried one though, it could have just been that one. It was sufficiently difficult that I didn't buy the Manix2 and got an FFG Endura instead.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

As I have mentioned previously, the plastic cage is NOT a load-bearing structure.. Though it could stand up to some force, it is designed to add grippiness and to guide the action of the BBL, in fact kind of isolating the load of the action of the lock itself from the loads placed on the frame of the knife through whatever use they come by... Did I word that right? I hope so.. in any case, the polymer cage for the BBL performs admirably at its job as far as i can tell and the fact that it is not all steel does not bother me one bit. I like both caged and uncaged BBLs just fine - the former, more for general EDC functionality and use and the latter, for its aesthetic appeal.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've put my manix 2 through some **** and it's also seen it's share of harsh solvents. The polymer is holding up fine. I can close it with just one thumb but i usually use my thumb and forefinger. Never used the bbl yet. I'll get a phoenix eventually though but i think it'll be more difficult to close under certain circumstances. I don't mind the CBBL at all though. Never had any issues with all the use of accidentally closing it or actuating the lock unintentionally.
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

The Deacon wrote:Think the main reason was that knives with an uncaged ball are difficult to unlock with gloved, cold, wet, or otherwise "tactile sensitivity challenged" fingers.

The opposite question would be, why not?
The two reasons I can think of: (1) difficult to unlock = good* and (2) it just adds another piece to the otherwise nicely simple engineering equation. Bonus reason: (3) it doesn't look as nice.

*I always thought it was cool that an errant finger touching the ball on one side would just roll off.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the main reason the spring is easier to depress on the D'Allara and some other models is spring tension. I can depress it with my pinky yet the manix2 takes a serious yank from both fingers. I'm sure it could have been engineered either way but it does seem more bank-vault-like.

The CBBL seems thinner, more tactical looking, and less likely to have junk get into the lock assembly. While I like the tactile feel of the uncaged ball, the version 2.0 makes more sense.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Anyone else think the cage would look better in black plastic,the clear just does not look right to me.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

aesthetics have alot to do with knives for the consumer. I can't imagine a Phoenix or a Dodo with a CBBL. It would just ruin the lines but i can't imagine a Manix 2 with a BBL either. I actually like the two tone look with the clear polymer as it offsets it from the knife. Now if the manix came in a Black bladed version with black clip and black liners. Then i would take a black polymer cage as well. Yes i want the liners to be black too and the laynard tube ohh and the hardware. i geuss it's how you first see something too because then you get used to how that looks. I'm sure people who were with spyderco from the start feel this way everytime a new version of a spydie classic comes out.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

what about a cage in metal? I would definitely be digging this.
bell

Post by bell »

"Why cage the ball?" The cage is plastic clutter.

I have a Dodo and love the bare ball lock.

I think the cage was put on for digitally challenged persons who cant make two fingers work togther.

The ball lock is the ultimate hard core lock-up. KISS -Less is more.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Shmackey wrote:Interesting. The Dodo seems very thin to me.
The Dodo is thin because the Ball lock does not require liners. It is, however, quite wide in the closed position. Compare the lockback Mini-Manix (which isn't exactly petite) with the ball lock D'Allara.

I think you can see the D'Allara is quite wide, which uses up pocket space faster than thickness does (and it doesn't lack that, either).

Now look at the Manix 2 next to that same Mini-Manix.

The ball lock forces the pivot pin off-center. The larger the ball, the farther off-center the pivot has to be to accomodate it. The farther off-center the pivot is, the wider the knife will be when closed. Smaller ball means narrower closed profile and harder to get a hold of, hence the cage.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

J Smith wrote:Anyone else think the cage would look better in black plastic,the clear just does not look right to me.
Rumor has it that there is an all-black Manix 2 coming, every part other than the ball. So, your wish may come true? :D