Some serrated love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Some serrated love

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Its ironic how often a full serrated Spydie find its way back into my pocket,so i can appreciate Spyderco serrated cutting on some tough material and just rippin through it with ease. I dont always see alot of pics of full serrated Spydies..they seem to be the underdogs,who needs more attention,or do they just come out when super cuts need to be made.They do make ragged cuts,but severs tough fibrous material in no time. My full serrated Delica4 has to be in my pocket or daypack,when the serrated cutting has to take over..in case of emergency or else..
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

MANIXWORLD wrote:Its ironic how often a full serrated Spydie find its way back into my pocket,so i can appreciate Spyderco serrated cutting on some tough material and just rippin through it with ease. I dont always see alot of pics of full serrated Spydies..they seem to be the underdogs,who needs more attention,or do they just come out when super cuts need to be made.They do make ragged cuts,but severs tough fibrous material in no time. My full serrated Delica4 has to be in my pocket or daypack,when the serrated cutting has to take over..in case of emergency or else..
IIRC The expression goes something like this " There was never a time I had a SE where I wished I had a PE, but there is always a time I had a PE wishing I had a SE" For me I always carry both...so not to find myself ever wishing....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Tank

Post by Tank »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:IIRC The expression goes something like this " There was never a time I had a SE where I wished I had a PE, but there is always a time I had a PE wishing I had a SE" For me I always carry both...so not to find myself ever wishing....Doc ;)
+1 I always carry both.
-John
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I carry an H1 Spyderhawk SE in the RFP, and this in the LFP. That's about all the PE I find myself needing.

18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
chipped

Post by chipped »

Always both.
dialex

Post by dialex »

He, he, I know how it feels, yesterday I found myself fondling my very first dear good old Delica SE... :) After all those years of use and abuse I'd still trust my life in her.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

I love my SE Ladybug. I really need to pick up something larger with serrations.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

A shaving sharp PE is the ideal, but I've seen a contractor turn my shaving sharp Endura wave into a knife unable to even cut paper in 30 seconds of hard use cutting through a ceiling.

When the chips are down I will always trust a SE more than a PE due to its much higher survivability and performance over a wider range of sharpness levels.

So yes, I carry both, but always a SE!
cr123

ack, another thread triggers the impulse to buy

Post by cr123 »

i mainly carry plain edges and have one ladybug h1 serrated. but now, i'm thinking i should get a larger serrated h1. the ladybug h1 mainly opens boxes, blister packs.

i think i've been buying more spyderco's since frequenting this forum. :D
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

"There was never a time I had a SE where I wished I had a PE, but there is always a time I had a PE wishing I had a SE"

I disagree with this, as I'd estimate 80% of my knife work is with plain edge. Ive recently started carrying a full SE in addition to a plain edge and I do agree that for times when you want a serrated edge, nothing else will cut it. (Thats a sweet pun BTW. haha)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Scottie3000 wrote:"There was never a time I had a SE where I wished I had a PE, but there is always a time I had a PE wishing I had a SE"

I disagree with this, as I'd estimate 80% of my knife work is with plain edge. Ive recently started carrying a full SE in addition to a plain edge and I do agree that for times when you want a serrated edge, nothing else will cut it. (Thats a sweet pun BTW. haha)
Well it goes both ways i guess, there are just as many times that I wished I had an SE blade while I only had a PE blade on me and sometimes vice versa. The answer is carry both if you can.... other wise carry the best of them all - The SE Millie, plenty of teeth and a useful PE tip.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I can say that since Ive been carrying my serrated Endura, I dont know how I ever did without.
SamMaxRay

Post by SamMaxRay »

My first Spyder was a SE some years ago. Bought the Native SE recently and it is an intimidating looking blade yet still peels an apple as gentle as a PE.
tac

Post by tac »

Don't have much use for serrated blades myself, but if anyone's interested, Poor Fish now has SE ZDP-189 Endura's listed on eBay for <$45 delivered. Hope it's okay to refer to that site here.
35+ :spyder: since 2009, and counting...
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I've been using a SE D3 as my away from home food knife.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

I'm not a big fan of serrations, out of hundreds of knives I only own three that are serrated (a Tasman, a Spyderhawk and a CS Vaquero).

So far I've been able to handle all my cutting needs with shaving sharp, mirror polished plain edges. SEs are just too messy for me, I like really neat cuts (I do a lot of whittling and leather cutting).

Sharpening a plain edge is also more enjoyable (for me, at least) and easier. If I do need one, both of my most carried multitools (SwissTool Spirit and Leatherman Charge TTI) have serrated edge blades.
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

Is that blue knife up there a mod?
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG