Some pinned and some screwed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JEFF B

Some pinned and some screwed?

Post by JEFF B »

I'm curious as to why some spydercos are pinned together and some screwed? I just got a black H1, and as i'm sure you know its pinned together. I love the knife, but that bothers me a little. I'm not bashing spyderco,because i own several,just wondered if there was a reason for this.Do you guys think the ones with pins are as durable.They must eventually come loose[the pivot anyway]
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Major reason, is that pinned allows more compact construction. Spy can make thinner, trimmer knives this way. Screws need more space. The Caly 3 is pinned for the very reason it saves space and makes a smaller, trimmer, more easily carried knife. You tend to see the pinning on knives that are meant to be compact; ie, the most blade for the least handle.

Been carrying a Caly 3 every day for 3 years, the pins haven't loosened. Pinned is the traditional method of folding knife manufacture. Not uncommon to find 100-year-old pinned pocket knives that are still tight. I would actually expect screws to loosen before pins.

Pins do mean that aftermarket mods of a knife are more limited. Whether a design that keeps us users from mucking about with the knife is an advantage or a disadvantage, I can't say.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

although I haven't tried it yet any loose pins might be tightened by using a center punch.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I don't think they're going to come loose without some serious abuse. I've got several years of hard use on an Atlantic with no notice of loose pins. It's been used for everything, including chopping and prying and it's still chugging along just fine.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The opposite view is that screws just represent one more potential point of failure. Can't recall ever reading about a pin falling out.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

I have both and I have to tighten up the screws occasionally when they loosen. The pinned one of course you don't and only with one have I ever put it on the anvil and gave
it a bit of a tap with a punch and it worked great, and the reason it loosened was totally
my own fault/abuse. Personally I'll take pinned and slim over the other in most instances.
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
markg

Post by markg »

The conctruction of the "4 Series" Endura/Delica would have been a nightmare for the Salt knives. Steel liners, screws, etc. I am assuming it was just a simplier process (and less costly) to make the Salt folders on the older Endura/Delica 3 frame.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

do folding salt knives have liners?
markg

Post by markg »

No.
MCM

Post by MCM »

If its pinned, your screwed. ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I've gotten so I actually prefer pinned scales and no washers. My Caly 3s have been trouble-free since I started carrying them a couple of years ago. So have the Caly 3s that I've given as gifts. No loose scale and no rivet issues.

All of these knives are used in outdoor environments from the US east coast area to AK - no failures - no issues - not even the usual amount of crud that would get itno a knife with a more open pivot area.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I'm glad to hear about the advantages of pinned blades.

That said, three of my pinned Byrds have such weak retention, I won't carry them anymore.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

flash900 wrote:I'm glad to hear about the advantages of pinned blades.

That said, three of my pinned Byrds have such weak retention, I won't carry them anymore.
IMHO, the washers/handles of a knife should not have to act as a "drag" mechanism. Blade retention should always be accomplished the old fashioned way, with sufficient spring tension on the locking mechanism. That's not to say a blade should swing like a gate when the lock is released, although a disturbingly large percentage of people seem to find that desirable, just to say drag induced by over tightening the pivot should not be what keeps the blade closed.
Paul
raven

Post by raven »

I'm the opposite... I like the screw construction more than the pinned models. I have ONE model that is super thin, screw construction, has never come loose since I got it/debuted, and is extremely durable ...That would be the Adventura designed by our Bro dialex ;) . This model has been through quite a bit with me while in the field as a LEO. I still carry it and it never disappoints.

If you have this model compare the thickness to some other models. You'll be surprised to see how slimline the Adventura is. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Bolstermanic wrote: Pinned is the traditional method of folding knife manufacture. Not uncommon to find 100-year-old pinned pocket knives that are still tight. I would actually expect screws to loosen before pins.
Great point! Pins are the traditional method and to some degree, I think we've all gotten 'spoiled' (and I use that in the most positive sense) with screw construction. I have my Dad's boy scout jack knife that he got in the late 1920's. It is pinned and there is nothing loose about it. It's fun to be able to take apart to do maintenance and mods, but its not really necessary...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

I just handled a Renegade the other day. A customer is a knife guy, with that one, and a few other Spydies in the mix. I really, really liked the knife. What struck me was that it was G10, unlined. I'd really like to see this in other knives...and of course it was pinned. :D
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I too have been happy with my Caly3 (pinned construction), I carry it every day, although I don't have stuff that needs to be *cut* every day.
I have one knife, a Native 3 VG10, which is pinned but I wish it had screws at least for the pivot adjustment, it is just too tight, is difficult to open. I have to push so hard with my thumb that sometimes the knife slides out of my grip rather than the blade opening, even after a thousand or more open/close cycles. I'm not entirely certain the tension is from the pinned pivot, it could be the tension of the back spring (it is a back lock knife).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rodloos wrote:I too have been happy with my Caly3 (pinned construction), I carry it every day, although I don't have stuff that needs to be *cut* every day.
I have one knife, a Native 3 VG10, which is pinned but I wish it had screws at least for the pivot adjustment, it is just too tight, is difficult to open. I have to push so hard with my thumb that sometimes the knife slides out of my grip rather than the blade opening, even after a thousand or more open/close cycles. I'm not entirely certain the tension is from the pinned pivot, it could be the tension of the back spring (it is a back lock knife).
I suspect it's the later, the Native III has a well earned reputation for having very stiff lock spring - exactly the opposite of the C41 Native. Easy way to find out is depress the lock as far as you can and move the blade. If I'm right, it should pretty much flop back and forth.
Paul
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Well it's nice to have options anyhow huh? Glad Spyderco makes 'em both. I've never had a problem with linerless pinned knives and almost wish we could still buy the Endura 3 series knives. I'd love to put one to use. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
chipped

Post by chipped »

I love the pinned linerless knives Spyderco makes. Have a Native III, Salt 1, and Pacific Salt.

I'd really like to see locking UKPKs, especially an H1 FRN one.

(Well, and an H1 cricket and H1 Ti ATR).