DIY Mini-Manix2 the stupid way??:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

DIY Mini-Manix2 the stupid way??:

Post by JT »

So, as the wait for future Mini-Manix 2 is loooong.. I played with the idea of taking a regular Manix2, and modding it:

-Grinding the blade, to about 6cm, little less than 2,5 inhes
-Shorten the handle accordingly
-adding support, replacing the lanyard hole tube, using Chicago-screw or similar
-tap&drill the clip again

for me , the hardest part would be to grind the blade. I have a wet grinder, which should be suitable, yet slow, it doesn’t heat up the blade when grinding, but it takes some time.

Handle would be much more simple, just take the knife apart, using Chicago-screw or similar to marry the handles together for the job, then just angle grinder, hacksaw, dremel, file, etc to get the shape right.

Some crappy pics of what I had in mind:

What do you think? Comments welcome :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

If you look at the original full size Manix and Mini Manix, the Manix 2 is the old Mini Manix in size but with the new ball lock. You could have saved yourself all that trouble drawing one up unless you were looking at a mini Mini Manix. :D
JT

Post by JT »

You are correct. But the MiniMni-Manix, or would it be Micro-Manix, that's what I'm after. I should have named the topic to; DIY Micro-Manix the stupid way :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like it :) .

Better yet you could have a guy like Krein do it maybe. It would come back looking clean and super sharp!
PureSeventyNine

Post by PureSeventyNine »

I know this is out on a limb but it would be cool to see in Ti handles. I know, far from easy. Maybe change the G-10 color while your at it. ORANGE!!!!
(((((Edgeucational Student)))))
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
MILITARY
TENACIOUS
HONEYBEE
MANIX 2
ENDURA
DELICA
GUNTING T
ENDURA 3 T

MANIX 2
LADYBUG
CALY JR MBP
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I was considering a similar project, hoping to get the blade only a bit shorter--maybe .5 in, with handle shortened accordingly. Let us know how it goes. The knife is so oddly priced--around $45.00 less than a paramilitary, seems like a reasonable project for modification. I'll probably try it out on a Byrd knife or similar first, just so I can make my mistakes there.

Good Luck!!!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice, but it makes me think of a Yojimbo variation with ball lock rather than the Manix.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

This is not my favorite mod suggestion, but it would probably be excellent once it is finished.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JT

Post by JT »

dialex wrote:Nice, but it makes me think of a Yojimbo variation with ball lock rather than the Manix.
I know, the sketch sucks :D
the handle should be more round shaped, and the blade is too much of a wharnie shaped.. but I just made it to test the proportions. We'll see if I'll actually try to do this or not. Guess I'll better get one NIB first. Pref. a XHP one :D
presbo

Post by presbo »

I like it too!
bell

Micro Manix

Post by bell »

JT:

Love it. I need another Spydie like a hole in the head but this idea I love. The Chicago is a dud. The Manix is a hit. I am sure Eric is working on this. Put the Meerkat... blade shape on this puppy in a good steel in G10 bb lock, no cage, wire clip, and you have a home run.