Mule Team 7?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brian,

We'll have a full explanation with the Mule. :p

sal
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

please tell me it's a selective oxidation patina pattern that acts as an aeration method for cutting.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

kbuzbee wrote:Yes, I guess I'm asking about finest grain structure and a tendency to resist micro chipping... Something with extremely small carbides. Still hard but, if necessary, yielding some for a smaller, more uniform grain. I've been VERY impressed with the CPM-M4 and how it takes a polish. I love S90V but it doesn't "seem" to polish quite as well.
I guess that would be the Aogami super blue, since it is an old-fashioned carbon steel. If you take some high quality, high-grit benchstones (eg Japanese water stones) to it the edge should come out screaming sharp. I have a higonokami in that steel and it sharpens up nicely.

Just bear in mind that carbon steels are really squeamish about high temperatures, so I would advise against any power equipment.

Ookami
________
Avandia recall
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

This thread is very exciting!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ookami wrote:I guess that would be the Aogami super blue, since it is an old-fashioned carbon steel. If you take some high quality, high-grit benchstones (eg Japanese water stones) to it the edge should come out screaming sharp. I have a higonokami in that steel and it sharpens up nicely.

Just bear in mind that carbon steels are really squeamish about high temperatures, so I would advise against any power equipment.
Thanks Ookami. Appreciate the input. Power tools are not allowed near my blades (unless I need to add jimping or something, but not for sharpening!)

How would you expect the Aogami Super Blue react to having it's edge severely thinned out? I'm thinking about taking it down to something like 20º with a very small micro bevel of, say, 30º....

I've started using diamond lapping films for edges I really want to polish... They do a great job (for me, anyway).

Ken
玉鋼
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

kbuzbee wrote:How would you expect the Aogami Super Blue react to having it's edge severely thinned out? I'm thinking about taking it down to something like 20º with a very small micro bevel of, say, 30º....
Why not just try it? That's what the Mules are for ...

All of mine get reprofiled at 20 degrees included, although some now have 30 degree micro bevels. 9Cr18Mo, in particular, wasn't real happy at 20 degrees and now it's hard to call the 30 degree section a micro bevel, it's more of a macro bevel.

So far, CPM M4 is the happiest, followed by 52100, so I'm really looking forward to Super Blue.

Gordon
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gaj999 wrote:Why not just try it? That's what the Mules are for ...
Thanks Gordon, I understand your point. And you're right. I was just looking for some input from someone who has tried this steel. You can never get too much information :D YMMV applies to both the user and the specific implementation but I didn't think it would hurt to ask....

Ken
玉鋼
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I have ground my higonokami down to a scandi edge (near-zero, nano-bevel). It is around 20 degrees (or even slightly less) included with only a small, shallow micro bevel. I grind the main bevel down to 4000 grit (King water stone) and knock off the tiny burr with a natural stone at 6000 grit.

In that configuration it cuts like a razor and only gets chippy on really tough stuff like bamboo, seasoned hardwoods (beech), etc, but that is to be expected. It really comes down to what you want to use it for.

Btw, Aogami steel is also used for those insanely sharp sashimi-knives, that are ground at 17 degrees single bevel. Some makers even take them down to 12 degrees, but you have to be very skilled to use those without messing them up.

Ookami
________
Michigan Marijuana Dispensary
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks Ookami, that's exactly what I was wondering... Good info.

I am toying with the idea it could become a utility knife in my kitchen. Mostly veggies.

Ken

Sal - assuming the Mule goes well, any chance of a Yang in this steel??
玉鋼
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ken,

Probably not. Our original kitchen knife maker is no longer available (complicated Japanese politics of trading companies). The Yang maker, couldn't get our edges thin enough or at the geometry that we wanted for serrations, so he's out.

We're currently trying to make kitchen knives in China with 8Cr13 steel.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

an EDC folder in super blue would be a real enthusiasts knife, as well as a first ever, that I'm aware of. hint, hint.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

It has been a month since anyone has talked about the new mule. Does anyone know more than they did a month ago? Sal?

I need more steel!
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

I was lucky to find a CPM-M4 mule on the secondary market recently and I did manage to acquire 2 of the S35VN mules. The next batch should be terrific, I cant wait.
The Mastiff wrote:an EDC folder in super blue would be a real
enthusiasts knife, as well as a first ever, that I'm aware of. hint, hint.
*Cough* Ti Handle - Sprint? *Cough* -
Anyone else in here have those pollen allergies? hehe ;)
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

It has been 5 months since the release of the last mule. Any insight on when the Mule 7 will be available?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Hector Castro wrote:It has been 5 months since the release of the last mule. Any insight on when the Mule 7 will be available?
This is like deja vu all over again??? ;)
JLS

Post by JLS »

Not quite deja-vu. More like OCD enthusiasm for the Mule Team project! :D :D
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

No, I meant posting the same question within 60 seconds or so in two threads in the same forum. :D But anxiousness I do understand!
JLS

Post by JLS »

I saw both of them too. While I don't act on it, I certainly understand where he's coming from.

Up to this point they've been on a quarterly schedule.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I put a handle on the last mule I own, I want another great piece of steel to put some handles on. Who can blame a guy?

Anyone :spyder: can feel free to jump in here at any time and tell us when these will be released! :)
JLS

Post by JLS »

Not me, Hector. I can't blame you at all. I still have a ZDP and S35VN to do, but I want the new ones anyway!