Interesting little story...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Interesting little story...

Post by Jazz »

My wife and I were walking through the woods in Banff and it was quite peacefull - the ice was melting on the creek we were beside - a few birds were pecking and singing - a nice Spring day. Then we both heard 2 low growls like, say a Cougar. Wow, did that wake us up! My wife grabbed my arm and tried pulling me away, but running isn't a good idea, so I stopped, looked around, and out came my Millie right away. After looking all around we saw nothing, but we definately heard it, and I was ready (kind of :o ) to defend my wife with a large, excellent knife that I'm glad I chose to carry for just that purpose that day.
Funny thing - later when sharing the story with her sister, my wife said the knife I had out was "bigger than the whole Cougar's paw". Anyway, it got the adrenaline going! Thanks for listening.

- best wishes, Jazz.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

meow! ha! great story. glad your safe.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
unit

Post by unit »

Nice instincts! Glad you are safe and sound.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jazz,

Glad nothing happened. Big cats can be nasty.

Reinforcement, "The most important part about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it".

sal
VADER1313

Post by VADER1313 »

I though you were gonna say you whipped out your Johnson, but thank go you pulled your death delivering Millie instead!
Ya know..what happens on those "Walk through the woods" sometimes.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:Hi Jazz,

Glad nothing happened. Big cats can be nasty.

Reinforcement, "The most important part about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it".

sal
Thanks - I'm glad too. I am also glad I always carry 1 or 2 Clipits, and the Millie is a great knife for a lot of purposes - I felt better with it in my hand. Thanks for the great design.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

I suspect that if you go up against a Mt. Lion with a Military, all you accomplish is feed the cat and we don't have a chance to buy your military because it is lost in the woods

Imagine the most pissed off house cat you have ever seen and think about trying to give it the sharp end of your knife without getting scratched or bitten. Now scale up the cat by about 10-15x.

Iterate until sufficiently worried
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
unit

Post by unit »

Fred S wrote:I suspect that if you go up against a Mt. Lion with a Military, all you accomplish is feed the cat and we don't have a chance to buy your military because it is lost in the woods

Imagine the most pissed off house cat you have ever seen and think about trying to give it the sharp end of your knife without getting scratched or bitten. Now scale up the cat by about 10-15x.

Perhaps, but I think the takeaway here is that Jazz's instincts were to put himself between his woman and danger while utilizing whatever resources he had at his disposal.

I commend him for that!

I might further argue that the fruits of his accomplishments are greater than a meal for the cat.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

His instincts are commendable, his equipment is lacking. I used to run around in the woods a good deal, and I always had a bullet launcher of some description. I think the OP was in Banff, which I think is a national park in Canada. Unlikely you are supposed to have a gun with you.

Soooo..... that being said, certainly a commendable on doing what you can with what you have.
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Glad you didn't have to use it Jazz. Stay safe.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I know what you mean, noises from the woods in Banff.
I start work at 04:30 on the edge of Banff, the woods are all around. When the wind is blowing in the trees, the groaning and creaking along with the unknown.
It doesn't take me long, to sprint from the car to the shop Image :p
dc
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

I'm glad you had your millie with you too, however, the lead slinger is also a must have. And I'm a believer in judged by 12 vice carried by 6. ;)
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Great story, I love my Military ive been edc one for as long as i can remember.
CHECK YOUR 6
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

VADER1313 wrote:I though you were gonna say you whipped out your Johnson, but thank go you pulled your death delivering Millie instead!
Ya know..what happens on those "Walk through the woods" sometimes.

You sir, certainly got a solid lol out of me.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

I've been to Banff. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Did you check out those Hoodoo lounges.
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
LostOutThere

Post by LostOutThere »

Firearms are a no-go in Banff. Due to how 'touristy' the place is, even small-mid sized fixed blades can be problematic. The Military is a great choice, and the instincts of the op were good.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jazz glad you and the wife are OK...Can be scary in the woods, and those Cats can be mean for sure...glad you had a handly spyderco with you in case you needed it. Reminds me of a story of mine back many years ago I was hunting for some flying squirrel in Florida...all I had with me was a slingslot (David and Goliath style) and three throwing knives. I was stalking some squirrel in the pine trees when I came to an open field. Out of the brush about 40 feet away on full charge was a wild boar...Mind you it had me :eek: in it's sights and was making extraterrestrial noises as it approached (scared the bejesus out of me) The hunters who were chasing this boar said it was a small pig (only 328lbs.) For me a city boy 328lbs of anything is not SMALL!....Well I didn't know what to do, I wasn't about to do mortal combat with this monster with my three throwing knives so I ran back into the woods and climbed a tree (coward...LOL) Before that time I never had the experience of climbing a tree...but in that type of circumstance you learn real real quick. The hunters finally arrived and shot the boar with a .357 magnum Contender and a .30-06...The boar took one to the body and one to the neck and still killed two of the hunter's dogs with just a swipe of its claws then it ran for about 75 yards before dropping....On the way back home I spotted a Diamondback Rattler and few minutes later I saw 5 Black Panthers rolling around on a sand dune sunning themselves, (but they didn't bother me) I said to myself...what the **** are you doing in the woods with a slingshot and three throwing knives LOL. When I got home I ran out to the gun store and purchased my first two firearms...a Colt Detective Special .38 and five boxes of snake shot for the snakes..and a 12 gauge shotgun and a dozen boxes of slugs....for anything bigger than a squirrel.....the next time I went off trucking thru the woods I was more than prepared...LOL....lesson learned......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Fred S wrote:I suspect that if you go up against a Mt. Lion with a Military, all you accomplish is feed the cat and we don't have a chance to buy your military because it is lost in the woods

I think you'd be a little shocked at how well a 3"+ blade can do at battling bad kitties. If you do a search on here you can find the post about a 60 year old man in Colorado, I believe, who was attacked by a cougar and pulled out his blade and did what he had to. He got scratched up pretty bad, but he walked away leaving the cougar fatally wounded.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

THG

Post by THG »

That's it. I gotta get me a Military. lol
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme