Interesting little story...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Glad it worked out okay!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cr123

Post by cr123 »

:)

Glad Jazz and his wife are in the clear.

and now i'm having second thoughts of keeping the orange military i have as a dedicated shelfqueen. or maybe just buy one for carry around woods (and other places where predators hang out).
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's a big, sharp blade on my Millie. I have 2 cats and I know what they can do and what would happen to me with a Mountain Lion, but a large, sharp blade and a scared me are going to inflict my own damage one way or the other to the thing before it did me in. Number one on my instincts at the time was to guard and protect my wife - then myself. Also, guns aren't carried in Canada, that I know of. If I had any choice in any such situation, I'd rather run, but I know that's not always a good idea - especially with large animal predators.
REEPER22 - I've seen hoodoos there, but what is a hoodoo lounge?
Dr.Snubnose - Glad you came out all right - that's freaky.
cr123 - Get a Millie to use - it's awesome!
Can someone tell me what OP means?

- best wishes, Jazz.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Jazz wrote: Can someone tell me what OP means?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Original Poster (the guy or gal that started the thread)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
LostOutThere

Post by LostOutThere »

Jazz wrote: REEPER22 - I've seen hoodoos there, but what is a hoodoo lounge?

Can someone tell me what OP means?

- best wishes, Jazz.
A Hoodoo Lounge in Banff usually refers to The Hoodoo Lounge or Aurora Bar/clubs, Both of which aren't bad if that's your thing.

OP is original poster
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Go on here and look up David Parker (a little ways down the page) http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm

My Dad used to work with David at Port Alice pulp mill. He was attack while riding his bike home after work, kill that big cat with his pocket knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FLYBYU44 wrote:Go on here and look up David Parker (a little ways down the page) http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm

My Dad used to work with David at Port Alice pulp mill. He was attack while riding his bike home after work, kill that big cat with his pocket knife.
Wow...that story was amazing.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wow, those are some scary critters. I remember that story and the one of the girl near Canmore. We were staying in Canmore. I remember one hike years ago where we found a fresh Cougar track and immediately turned around. I'm not a dummy :o - woods walks are nice, but you have to make noise and be alert.

- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

When Gail and I hike in our neighborhood, I always pack a Temperance2 and some bear pepper spray.

sal
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Freaky stuff man. I always feel safer with a :spyder: on my hip, in my pocket, or both.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
angusW

Post by angusW »

When I read your ordeal, the first thing I thought of was that gentleman in B.C. who killed a cat with his pocket knife.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazi ... eature.asp

Glad your wife and yourself were not injured. Also glad you had your Millie with you. It is too bad we here in Canada are not allowed to prepare to defend ourselves properly. The Millie is a great knife, love mine, but a firearm is the best way to protect.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

a large folding knife may not be the perfect weapon but on a number of occasions i have found significant comfort knowing a chinook was in my pocket.

i am glad you and your wife are ok.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I think we all agree that the chances of defeating a mountain lion with a knife are low, but if that's all you have - its better than nothing. Ive read that story about the guy who cut the cat's throat and it gives me no false sense of security. But I'd rather have a knife than not - and yes, I'd rather have a gun, too.

Glad it was just an interesting story and nothing happened to you or your wife.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

If no guns available, better have a fixed blade knife. But the Millie also far more than nothing. But if I would walking in woods like where you did, I would cut down some nice strong sticks and make some spike from that. Save your knife as a weapon to the last line of deffense. And the dart/stick with sharp point has more reach than your knife. You can hold the cougar more far from you, than a short knife, imho.
Rusty blades are awful.
Girls with rusty hair are wonderful!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cuccos19 wrote:If no guns available, better have a fixed blade knife. But the Millie also far more than nothing. But if I would walking in woods like where you did, I would cut down some nice strong sticks and make some spike from that. Save your knife as a weapon to the last line of deffense. And the dart/stick with sharp point has more reach than your knife. You can hold the cougar more far from you, than a short knife, imho.
That's an excellent idea. More reach is a good thing, and keeping the animal farther away.

- best wishes, Jazz.
grampa

Post by grampa »

While a gun of large caliber would certainly be preferred for going mano-a-mano with a cougar or bear, if you go back and read up on all the known /recorded encounters between people and large predatory animals in North America, a surprising number of people have used a knife and come out on top. Not uninjured, but they survived and the lion/bear did not.
cckw

Post by cckw »

So when she has a "headache" you can say "yeah, but I saved your life, remember?"