Delica for defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AH2525

Delica for defense

Post by AH2525 »

I know there are more "purpose built" defensive knives than the Delica, but in terms of being inconspicuous, readily available, etc. I was wondering 2 things:

1. Are there any resources (videos, books, articles, etc.) focused on the delica for self-defense carry?

and

2. What are other folks opinion(s) of this choice?

Thanks everybody,

Tom
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think the illustrious Mr. Michael Janich will be able to answer your questions. ;)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Tom:

The Delica is an outstanding knife that meets the needs of personal defense extremely well. I have been carrying two of them on a daily basis for about 10 years and train with them regularly (largely thanks to the fact that Spyderco makes a purpose-designed training version of the knife).

I also typically use a Delica in my "pork man" cutting demonstrations in which I use a target constructed of a pork roast lashed around a wooden dowel (to represent bone) and covered with numerous layers of plastic wrap (to replicate skin). I cover this with a leg feom a pair of jeans and illustrate that a single cut from a well-designed, properly sharpened three-inch blade will cut the target "to the bone," representing disabling that limb. This is demonstrated in this video on YouTube (which I actually produced for local law enforcement and never intended for the YouTube audience):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWmRWjD ... =1&index=6

As for information on using a Delica responsibly, I recommend my video "Martial Blade Concepts: The Enhanced Version," which is available exclusively from Stay Safe Media:

http://www.staysafemedia.com/product.php?proid=83

It specifically addresses the use of small, legally -ermissible knives like the Delica as personal defense weapons, focusing on the idea of understanding their potential, understanding human anatomy, and using that knowledge to reliably stop an attacker.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Looks like you have your answer AH2525 :) Thank you for the link to the videos Mike!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Mike,

Thanks so much for the reply and links. It is a great resource having your expertise available on the forum.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Hello Mike Janich,

If you had to choose SE or PE for self defense which one would you choose ?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The new FFG PE in Grey or Purple would be my guess.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Wow. :D I was going to say "yes, I've been carrying one for > 10 years for exactly that purpose" but here you have it from a far better authority!
Michael Janich wrote:Dear Tom:

The Delica is an outstanding knife that meets the needs of personal defense extremely well. I have been carrying two of them on a daily basis for about 10 years and train with them regularly (largely thanks to the fact that Spyderco makes a purpose-designed training version of the knife).

I also typically use a Delica in my "pork man" cutting demonstrations in which I use a target constructed of a pork roast lashed around a wooden dowel (to represent bone) and covered with numerous layers of plastic wrap (to replicate skin). I cover this with a leg feom a pair of jeans and illustrate that a single cut from a well-designed, properly sharpened three-inch blade will cut the target "to the bone," representing disabling that limb. This is demonstrated in this video on YouTube (which I actually produced for local law enforcement and never intended for the YouTube audience):

As for information on using a Delica responsibly, I recommend my video "Martial Blade Concepts: The Enhanced Version," which is available exclusively from Stay Safe Media:

It specifically addresses the use of small, legally -ermissible knives like the Delica as personal defense weapons, focusing on the idea of understanding their potential, understanding human anatomy, and using that knowledge to reliably stop an attacker.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
VADER1313

Post by VADER1313 »

michael janich wrote:dear tom:

The delica is an outstanding knife that meets the needs of personal defense extremely well. I have been carrying two of them on a daily basis for about 10 years and train with them regularly (largely thanks to the fact that spyderco makes a purpose-designed training version of the knife).

I also typically use a delica in my "pork man" cutting demonstrations in which i use a target constructed of a pork roast lashed around a wooden dowel (to represent bone) and covered with numerous layers of plastic wrap (to replicate skin). I cover this with a leg feom a pair of jeans and illustrate that a single cut from a well-designed, properly sharpened three-inch blade will cut the target "to the bone," representing disabling that limb. This is demonstrated in this video on youtube (which i actually produced for local law enforcement and never intended for the youtube audience):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwmrwjd ... =1&index=6

as for information on using a delica responsibly, i recommend my video "martial blade concepts: The enhanced version," which is available exclusively from stay safe media:

it specifically addresses the use of small, legally -ermissible knives like the delica as personal defense weapons, focusing on the idea of understanding their potential, understanding human anatomy, and using that knowledge to reliably stop an attacker.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

mike

wow awesome
Rick Grimes

Post by Rick Grimes »

Makes me feel even better about carrying my D4s.
4x Delica 4's (standard, Wave w/ dark gray/blue handle, FFG Brown, FFG Blue), Police 3, Barong, Khukuri, CF Caly 3 ZDP, Sage II.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

The moment I read the title of this thread, I thought of Mr. Janich's video and planned on linking you to it.

However, I see the man himself has beaten me to it! As you can see, the Delica can be devastating.
VADER1313

Post by VADER1313 »

The bottom line is, any knife can be used. I have 3 stab wounds from a drunk gangster attacking me, he used a cheap serrated steak knife. Almost punctured my lung and I lost a couple pints of blood. If he had a real knife, like the Delica. Maybe I would be dead.
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Michael Janich wrote:Dear Tom:

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wow Mike, thanks for the info :spyder:

Post by 224477 »

I think MJ /Michael Janich/ covered that pretty well.

I can say Delica will work, but once you know HOW TO, then almost every edged weapon will work ;) just some will work better.

Get proper training..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

In Japanese sword cutting people test cut on soaked tatami mats because they give comparable resistance to appendages. I've taken a delica2, a delica4 and an Endura2 to these mats in my training with good results. All knives were 1/2 serrated.

I can generally put my d2 and my d4 through a tatami half-mat. They cut about 90% of the target, but they're not long enough to sever the whole target. Enduras go right through. That compares to about a forearm. With a dowel, it goes to the dowel every time, and even carves into the dowel. I can get half way into a full mat with a sweeping cut, which is equivalent to a thigh. I've even done this with an old blue-jean leg around the mat, and it works pretty much the same. Long story short, they're great for cutting and can easily reach any area that would cause rapid reduction in blood pressure of one's opponent. Not that stabbing is useless, but the handles are very well textured in case one has to do that. Also, the ergonomics account for using the thumb in a pincer grip or a standard grip, as well as reverse grip very well. The wave feature isn't very good for pikal, but spyderco makes a knife that is good for that.

My escrima teacher recommended delicas and enduras by name. I have been carrying a Delica ever since (14 years now).
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
butterknife

Post by butterknife »

Wow. That video Mike linked was impressive. Scary too. For me, it reinforces what my old karate teacher always taught me. Run from fights. Vids like that make you appreciate the folks who walk into dangerous situations to protect others.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

Michael Janich,

Do you have a video that teaches reverse grip fighting with a reverse curved blade like the Spyderco Warrior in a reverse grip?
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Who would win in a fight....Michael Janich equipped with a Delica or a giant Brown Bear
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

SecSpyral wrote:Who would win in a fight....Michael Janich equipped with a Delica or a giant Brown Bear
Janich vs baby Ditka?
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

RIOT wrote:Hello Mike Janich,

If you had to choose SE or PE for self defense which one would you choose ?
Ay Riot, Of course I'm not Michael so I'll let him answer for himself...but It has been my experience that the PE makes a better defensive tool, as the teeth on the serrated model tends to get caught up on clothing. Nothing wrong with a Delica for a SD option. I once saw x-rays of a guy who was stabbed in the head. You guessed it...he was stabbed with a PE Delica and FWIW it did to my amazement penetrate the skull....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*